Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: [TrekRPGNet] Your input requested

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    As for Phantom, we've covered this free speech line a couple of times. Supporting the site through financial means via a membership (or whatnot) wouldn't convey special posting privileges. Pay or not to pay, your passive-aggressive modality of taking shots at people isn't ever going to be acceptable.

Actually, it isn't tolerated at AEG's or Mongoose's sites either.

Thanks for the input.
    Ok, it is late and I sat through a 3 hour mid-term tonight, so I'm not running completly to spec right now. So, I need to ask this question..."What are you talking about? Who did I attack this time?

And what isn't acceptable at AEG's or the Mongoose sites?

I find those two sites to be a bit of a step up. They can take Criticism (constructive and otherwise) of their product without booting people off the site for speaking their mind or resorting to peronal attacks themselves. And they know the meaning of CUSTOMER SERVICE over there, both sites are prompt to answer the PAYING CUSTOMER questions. Also, if the product is going to be late (gasp) they let people know about it! All novel ideas.

Oh, wait I found my previous post.

"I agree. Except for the comment on politics, you have to discuss other things sometimes the just Trek. But, hey that's just me.

Pay money to get all "perks" of the site and still not be able to say what I want? Don't think so. I've already been spending more and more time over on AEGs and Mongoose boards, if Trek goes "pay per view" I'll be over there full time.

Sorry."

Nope no shots taken here. Or is this more of my secret passive-aggressive code that I have been accused of using? If so please, someone, pass the secret decoder ring.
    Last edited by Phantom; 03-02-2004 at 03:52 AM.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Dabate is good, if you are too thin skinned to take it then stay away. Just my opinion.
    It's not about being thin skinned, it's about being insulted by some people who equate a differing opinion with stupidity. If, in the future, such antics were stopped by the moderators I'd be glad to have the political debates back.

I think that RaconteurX is definitely on the right track; although my experience designing and running Websites is purely academic, what's being said here seems to make a lot of sense. The only thing I might suggest is that, instead of a "pay what you will" scenario, having an ASP that offers choices on how much you want to contribute per month - one dollar, one-fifty, two, and so on - renewable on a monthly, bi-monthly or yearly basis.

I suspect that setting up that kind of rigamarole would be considerably involved, let alone actually keeping track of funds collected, but this would at least allow people to change their contributions depending on the winds of fortune.

Also, I entirely agree about excising those "members" who have not posted since creating their accounts. Again, probably a bit of work, but having a rider that erases those who have a zero posting count after, say, six months to a year would give a good indication as to whom exactly is interested in contributing around here, or not.

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    Also, I entirely agree about excising those "members" who have not posted since creating their accounts. Again, probably a bit of work, but having a rider that erases those who have a zero posting count after, say, six months to a year would give a good indication as to whom exactly is interested in contributing around here, or not.
    Well...I don't know about that. I'm sure there are a lot of people who lurk here regularly but choose not to post anything. They may think they're involved, and enjoy the site, but may have nothing to say or add to the conversation.

However, I've also noticed the birthday announcements and seen several screennames that are very similar with the same birthdates and ages...

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    I do that already about twice a year. It's quick and painless (for me).
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Phantom
    Those who agree with the pay program have said they would want PDFs, adventures, updates, etc on the member part of the forum. What would we get out of it? A nice brisk time watching paint dry?
    Arrgh! Feel. Like. I'm. Talking. To. A. Wall!

[Edit] Sorry, frustrated.

You would get access to the same material! (Albeit, maybe 30 days later.)

I've stated it earlier and apparently I need to repeat it again: I will undertake no steps that deprive content to non-paying users. Features, such as the forum Search function or the convenience of removing advertisements, perhaps. But not content.

Depriving users of content goes against what created this site back in 1998 and I absolutely will not do that. I will close down the site first.

Yes, Phantom, this means that if you never pay a dime or donate anything to the site you will have access to the same information and content as everyone else. You can simply continue to use these forums and berate me (and other users) at my expense.

Fun, fun.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by RaconteurX
    Hi Don,

Without a more directed (i.e., more hands-on) approach, I doubt you could manage to draw subscriptions from more than roughly 5% of the frequent site visitors. Pyramid only charges $20 a year, gives access to pre-publication materials for playtest, pays its writers, and generates a wealth of articles, columns and news on a weekly basis.
    While true, I don't have the expenses of Pyramid. That's why anything from $12 to $24 a year, even if only 100 users donated, would be fine. That would cover basic hosting alone, allowing a revenue stream from advertisements to cover incidentals, like paying for art to illustrate PDFs, cover the cost of items for contests, pay a writer for a well-written 10K adventure, etc.

I don't need a thousand people to sign up (although that would be nice); I need about 50 at $20~$24 or 100 at $12. That's it!

Yea, literally one dollar a month...$.03 cents a day…or the cost of one pizza per year from everyone reading this would reverse the situation entirely and allow me to do these sort of things.

Thanks for your input!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

That would cover basic hosting alone, allowing a revenue stream from advertisements to cover incidentals, like paying for art to illustrate PDFs, cover the cost of items for contests, pay a writer for a well-written 10K adventure, etc.
    That would collectively kick ass. Sign me up!

Yea, literally ...... the cost of one pizza per year

Let me get this straight.... I have to give up a pizza? No one said anything about giving up a pizza. I love my pizza.

Seriously though, sounds alright to me. Adventures modules would be a huge bonus. So will the subscribers get to use avatars?

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Let me get this straight.... I have to give up a pizza? No one said anything about giving up a pizza. I love my pizza.
    It sounded okay until I typed it. Now, I'm not so sure...I love pizza too...

(Wait, I don't have to sign up, do I?)
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

...I love pizza too...

Ah, so that's your fiendish plan is it? We're onto you Mappin.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Hmmmmm.

50 at $20~$24 or 100 at $12 would buy a lot of pizza...

Party at Don's place!

It's been a while since I've posted here. The Enterprise debates that were creeping into every forum a few months ago really turned me off. But I have been lurking daily and feel the need to chime in.

First I wanted to thank you, Don for shelling out 8 grand to keep this site alive. You've gone above and beyond for Trek roleplaying, done way more than anyone would expect. And to hear that you are on the fence about keeping this site going is kind of a bummer. Understandable, but still a bummer. You're right up there with Bjo Trimble for keeping the faith during a "lean time" and supporting Trek.

So even though I haven't been active on this site and am not currently playing any Trek I would gladly put down $30 a year to keep this site going. I'm a big proponent of keeping Star Trek alive whether it's on TV, movies, or through gaming. There will always be a fan base regardless of what UPN/Paramount/Decipher decides to do and we need sites like this one. Just knowing it's here makes me feel better.

So I guess a major obstacle is waiting for Decipher's next announcement. It seems like they might keep the game alive in one form or another. If the line is still a go this site could continue with whatever "perks" for paying members you deemed appropriate. There's been some good points made on this thread. The suggestions I would make to accomidate the tastes of all members would be:

A debate forum for those that want political threads or those that want to express their dislike for whatever Trek movie or show. A lot of gamers want to argue politics on message boards. I don't know why, but they like it. An every Trek fan has an opinion on the current state of the franchise.

Maybe a non-canon forum. Those that want to discuss their variant histories and whatnot could do so without being flamed.

And contests! These would generate some interest.

As well as plenty of access for non-paying members. And seeing a few adds here wouldn't kill me.

Just some suggestions. Obviously Dechipher's decision would whey heavily on any developments here.

Long live Star Trek!
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Berating you, eh? I thought I was asking a question. Anyway, I thought the "donate what you can" was a good idea. The one thing that is getting me is your $12-25 memebership fee that equates roughly to $25-50 for myself and my fellow Canadians (depending on exchange) that can be kinda steep (were talkin' one of Deciphers books here.) Or are you thinking of using an "at par" system?