Thread: Academy time

AslanC Guest

Post Academy time

Okay now maybe it's just becuase I am a die-hard FASA Trek player from way back, but I always thought the Academy was 4 years theotretical and then 1 year practical (Cadet Cruise)

In James Kirk's day it was even longer, but that said is it 3+1 or 4+1 in your game?

It depends on the system I am playing or running.

In FASA Trek, it was four years in the academy, x.5 years in Branch School training and then 0.5 years per Cadet Cruise.

In LUG Trek, it is four years in the Academy and then one full year on the cadet cruise with the occassional tip off to FASA trek as I always liked the idea of having to take another cadet cruise...adds character to the background of a PC.

Regards,
    CKV.

I tend to use the on screen norm of 4 years of Academy, including the cadet cruise, on screen except for f@#$ ups, like Weasal Crusher/Nova Squadron and Red Squad both spending an extra year at academy as punishment. Of course I do allow an 'orientation year' for new office4r to find their feet, this allows them to hold the rank of ensign during what is effectively a further cadet cruise...

This (IMO) explains why Nog was aboard DS9 in Cadet uniform, and why Cadet shepard was still a cadet 2 years after the events in 'Homefront'... See 'Valiant', same actor, same character...

Of course some condition can alter this timeframe, thus explaining why Nog only managed at best 2-3 years at academy including his cadet cruise...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

3 years plus cadet cruise seems the norm.

W.Crusher and co had a years worth of academic achievment wiped thus they basically repeated whatever year they were in. WC being 2nd I believe.

Nog is a special case, he served a lot of 'quick time' during the war and thus his 2 promotions.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

I'm playing 4 years Academy + 1 year Cadet Cruise.

I'm breaking it down as follows:
    * 2 Years Core Training
    * 1.5 Years Branch Training
    * 0.5 Years Elective studies (the "Academy Life" package).

------------------
    How do I set a Laser Printer to stun?

I try to follow what is established on TV and film.

To me that seems to be a 4 year program with a 6-month to a year-long cadet tour/internship somewhere before graduation.

The way it plays out in my campaign is:

First year - Basic skills
    Second year - Advanced skills
    Third year - Branch skills/Academy Life package
    Fourth year - Branch skills/Cadet Cruise

Slightly off topic: When Paris was at the academy he was at the Marseilles <sp> campus.
    And thus proof that at least 2 campuses are on earth.

Plus I think it was chakotay who did shuttle moves over Aussie desert during the academy.
    Maybe a campus on most continents?

------------------

Sorry, Sir Sig, but Paris went to the San Francisco campus, and beamed to Marseilles, as stated in the episode Non Sequitur.

I'm on the side which beleives there are several campuses, but unfortunately the fact that Paris used to hang out at Chez Sandrine doesn't support it (doesn't contradict it either!)...

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton:
    I'm on the side which beleives there are several campuses, but unfortunately the fact that Paris used to hang out at Chez Sandrine doesn't support it (doesn't contradict it either!)...
    Actually, the novel "Pathways" by Jeri Taylor says Tom Paris did switch to the campus in France. And the novel is one of only a few printed works that are accepted as canon by Paramount.

In fact, while I didn't like the background it gave some of the Voyager crew, it does includes of lot of great background on the Academy itself. I recommend it to anyone looking to run an Academy campaign.

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton:
    Sorry, Sir Sig, but Paris went to the San Francisco campus, and beamed to Marseilles, as stated in the episode Non Sequitur.

Well not being a silly fellow, I did have a source!
    A recent copy of the FactFiles (now perhaps you'll say that they've got things wrong before) #176 '...while nominally attending the Marseille campus, he actually spent most of his time at the local bar Chez Sandrine...'

Judge for yourself!

------------------

AslanC Guest

But to be honest, I am sure we can all agree there are plenty of Canon things that are just silly or downright dumb.

I mean ever since Star Trek became a product instead of a show, they stopped caring about continuity.

I say put Campuses on the Moon if you want, or say that there is only one and it is at San Fransisco. Like many of you told me a long time ago on this board "It's your campaign, do what you want."

All to true AslanC!

Still I'd like to accept the fact files at face value until proven wrong, then I'll capitulate!

------------------

"Well not being a silly fellow, I did have a source!
    A recent copy of the FactFiles (now perhaps you'll say that they've got things wrong before) #176 '...while nominally attending the Marseille campus, he actually spent most of his time at the local bar Chez Sandrine...'

Episode dialogue trumps magazine articles... The episode established that he beamed from San Francisco to Marseilles to go to Sandrine's.

Very well Owen, if thats what the episode said. I thought you may have 'assumed' that point.

Ah well, one more notch against the fact files.

------------------