Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-Diversity in Star Trek

De-Diversity in Star Trek

(Rant warning)

I was just recently thinking, one of the things that made Star Trek stand out when it first appeared back in the 1960's the crew was full of diversity, including people from every corner of this globe (well . . . except a prominent Latin American (being not Hispanic American but from either South or Central America)) character). Although the lead protagonist was a corn-fed Red blooded American (yes, as in the United States), those who were around this character would not normally be seen in a positive light in those days.

In TNG . . . that continued . . . but expanding the cast to not just Humans for the majority (granted there was Spock, but he was only 1, all be it an important 1), but a mix of non-Earthborn Humans, characters with noticable disabilities, AI Lifeforms, and those not of this Earth and of a different species.

This continued also in DS9 and VOY. Even with non-traditional main protagonist, that being an African-American Man, and a Female Captain.

However, it seems that we deevolved to the mainly caucasian presence in this show, with 2 minorities, and an alien. A far smaller percentage of the main support characters from as far as I can tell.

Not, to white bash or anything . . . but I was reflecting on a course I took a couple years ago in college, and it got me thinking, after taking a glimpse at ENT.

I mean, it's not suprising, especially seeing that more the 90% of main characters are of Western European decent, or atleast their characters are, on American Television. Not to say that there is anything wrong with that, but at the same time it irks me some.

For instance . . . why is that Rico in Starship Troopers (OK . . . I know this part is off topic, and not even Star Trek) was not casted as Filipino as he is in the novel? (And by the way, I am an American of Filipino decent ;-) )

What would have been great was to see Sulu get his due . . . or another non-standard main protagonist take the lead, in a positive, intellegent, and entertaining role.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Arrow

Some would say they wanted to go back to the root, when they had a corn-fed Midwestern boy and All-American kid commanded the more famous Enterprise. Others probably say that Berman & Braga always wanted to cast Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap fame, so he pretty much already have the image of Captain Archer.

But honestly, the blonde-haired, blue-eyes appeal to the American audience, regardless of color.

It sucks, but that is the status quo.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Actually, if you think about it, the race ratio for Star Trek: Enterprise is the same as it was for the Original Series.

Archer & Kirk: Americans (Mid-West region)
    Tucker & McCoy: Americans (South Eastern)
    Mayweather & Uhura: Both black but Mayweather missing the African culture aspect in favor of the "spacer" culture.
    Reed & Scotty: British Isles
    Sulu & Sato: Japanese

With the addition of the MACOs, diversity actually increases with Daniel Dae Kim's character (obviously Asian) and I think a Hispanic character (the female MACO ?). In terms of diversity only, in my opinion, it would probably have been better to cast a non-white in the role of Major Hayes since the other white guys, regardless of country, get the most screen time.

The only thing missing now is a Cold War Russian; If you were to update the character for current times, it should be either Chinese or Semitic (Arab, Persian, et. al.)

I suppose if you really wanted to be diverse, you could add that openly gay character that's been heavily lobbied for in fandom. Personally, I've always wanted to see a Sikh security chief (but that's really a religion, not a race.) or a proper North American Plains Indian (Apache, Lakota, etc.) character that Chakotay was supposed to have been. (Chakotay is a Plains Indian name.)
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

I read something a few months back - the gist of the article is it is something of a phenomenon on a lot of shows - especially comedies- basically many networks have begun targetting their shows at specific races. It contrasted current television with that of the 80's, with the Cosby show, for example, being enormously popular among both blacks and whites.

It could very well be that network executives have chosen that route for Enterprise.

I do, for example, find it curious that Andorians refer to humans as "pink skins"...

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I do, for example, find it curious that Andorians refer to humans as "pink skins"...
    Why? Humans are all, essentially, pink -- because our blood is red. A black man has darker skin because he has more melanin producing cells in his dermis -- but underneath that, he is pink, not blue.

That's the distinction, I think. Blue vs. pink.

That, and the fact that they're trying to portray Shran (at least) as something of a racist.

Originally posted by Dan Stack

I do, for example, find it curious that Andorians refer to humans as "pink skins"... [/B]

Not to be a jerk or something, but did the Andorians even know we came in different colors? As far as I can remember, up until recently, the only human the Andorians had any interaction with was Archer, who does have 'pink' skin.

They've seen Travis... :P
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

However, it seems that we deevolved to the mainly caucasian presence in this show, with 2 minorities, and an alien. A far smaller percentage of the main support characters from as far as I can tell.
    ENT?

3 Caucasians (2 Americans, 1 Brit )
    2 minorities. ( 1 Asian, 1 African/Boomer )
    2 aliens. ( 1 Denobulan, 1 Vulcan )
    1 canis familiaris.

Not including the MACO's, whose ethnicities I have not cataloged.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Regardless of the "race ratio", Star Trek does have diversity with their guest appearances... Ricardo Montalban (Hispanic) , Micheal Ansara aka Kor i think (Syrian), I think there was an Indian engieering officer named Singh or Patel.

Arrow

But have they cast a filipino actor/actress to be a recurring character of filipino ethnic onboard ENTERPRISE?

Trust me, as much as I like to believe that Hikaru Sulu have filipino blood, the rest of Midwest America believe that he comes from an all-Japanese heritage.

I guess for some of us, we really don't like being generally grouped as "Asian" when there are so many Asian cultures, or in our case, Malay.
    Last edited by REG; 02-27-2004 at 02:40 PM.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

OT SIDEBAR

Originally posted by Space_Cadet

Micheal Ansara aka Kor i think (Syrian),
    Kang, not Kor (played by the late great John Colicos, also known for his "Baltar" role on the original BSG).

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by Rayaru
    They've seen Travis... :P
    You mean Travis isn't pink!?!

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I'd figure that during the casting of various characters while your sitting there you find the person with just right spin on the line and the person "looks" the role.

And Starship Troopers was fine even with all the changes from the book.

The representation on Trek of various minority groups seems fine to me. Guest stars usually contribute to this.

I've always wanted to see more differences in the alien species. Excluding the Vulcans, who seem to have various skin colors, I can't remember whether I have ever seen a Black or Hispanic Betazoid...or Bajoran for that matter...I may be wrong though.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Smile

I know I'm going to sound Racist by saying this, and I just want to go on the record by saying I'm not, but who says that all the other Humanoid races (Bajoran, Betazoid's etc.) have any "minorities" that have a variant skin color?

Other than the fact they are played by real Humans, who have real racial features, there is no real reason for there to be racial varients of different species.
    Ok, that being said, I'm not against having "Hispanic" Bajorans, and "Asian" Betazoids, but the writers shouldn't just throw them in like that. The Casting people should pick the best person for the role: If that person is a person of color, fantastic! Us fans will accept it.
    I have to admit, I was a little worried about Tuvok on VOY. At the time, the concept of a 'black' Vulcan was alien and strange.
    But the character grew on me, and ended up being one of my favorites, which is saying alot for Voy.

Of course, the Idea that almost every sentient species would be bipedial mamalians is pretty farfetched as well!

Originally posted by Lt.Khrys Antos
    I've always wanted to see more differences in the alien species. Excluding the Vulcans, who seem to have various skin colors, I can't remember whether I have ever seen a Black or Hispanic Betazoid...or Bajoran for that matter...I may be wrong though.
    There has been a black Bajoran on DS9 before; He didn't have any lines but he was there. Unfortunately, I can't name the episode(s). There was a card for this character in the 1st edition Star Trek collectible card game. Are there any CCG players that own this card and can give us the character's name ?

In general, current scientific thinking says that ethnicities/races develop as adaptations to various environmental conditions. To take this into the realm of science fiction, any planet with widely varying environmental conditions will have varying ethnicities in its humanoid populations.

When ST:Voyager was new, and fans were trying to wrap their brains around a black Vulcan, Tim (Tuvok) Russ was fond of saying that because of the heat, twin suns, and thin atmosphere established by Star Trek canon, there really shouldn't be any white Vulcans at all as dark skin is an adaptation to hot climates.
    Last edited by Ezri's Toy; 02-27-2004 at 11:35 PM.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers