Phasers: Type VIII (x6/D) 42
    Penetration: 6/6/6/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: MK22 DF (x2/D) 6
    Photon Damage: 3/3/3/3/3
    Deflector Systems: CIDSS-1 (C) 8
    Protection Threshold: 13/4

MISCELLANEOUS DATA
    Maneuver modifiers: C +1 H +2 T +2

Traits: [pulse trait]: Note: applies to top mounted mega-phaser cannons only of which there are two.

[for the Joshua Paul Class, add x2 Type VIII mega-phaser cannon, x2 MK22 DF torpedo launchers, and x1 shuttlebay aft]

ed note: while the Leavenworth was relatively easy to produce, I had to break the rules when building the Joshua Paul, but then with only 61 built, I'd consider it something a season crew would be assigned to. or SF ground forces. History write ups coming
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

corrected decks version

Leavenworth-Class Frigate/Joshua Paul Class Heavy Frigate

PRODUCTION DATA

Origin: United Federation of Planets
    Class and Type: Leavenworth-Class Frigate/Joshua Paul Class Heavy Frigate
    Year launched: 2287-2288

HULL DATA

Structure: 30
    Size/decks: 6/14
    Length/Height/Beam: 332.44/177.21/70.29 [332.44/177.21/65.89]
    Complement: 645 [1053]

OPERATIONS DATA
    Atmospheric Capable: No
    Cargo Units: 60
    Life Support: Class 2 [C] 5
    Operations System: Class 4 [E] 4
    Sensor Systems: Class 2 [+2/C] 5
    Shuttlebay: 1a
    Shuttlecraft: 6 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1ad, 1 fv
    Transporters: 3 std, 3 emer

PROPULSION DATA

Impulse system: RSV (.7c) (D) 3
    Warp system: LN-72 (warp 8/10/13) (D) 9

TACTICAL DATA

Phasers: Type VIII (x6/D) 42
    Penetration: 6/6/6/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: MK22 DF (x2/D) 6
    Photon Damage: 3/3/3/3/3
    Deflector Systems: CIDSS-1 (C) 8
    Protection Threshold: 13/4

MISCELLANEOUS DATA
    Maneuver modifiers: C +1 H +2 T +2

Traits: [pulse trait]: Note: applies to top mounted mega-phaser cannons only of which there are two.

[for the Joshua Paul Class, add x2 Type VIII mega-phaser cannon, x2 MK22 DF torpedo launchers, and x1 shuttlebay aft]
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

These classes of vessels was rolled out concurrently with the Excelsior class of vessel as part the replacement strategy of Starfleet Command with the retirement of several older class vessels, including ethe Constitution-Class Heavy Cruiser and Locknar- class Destroyer.

The Leavenworth-Class Frigate was the first of the newer ships after the Excelsior, taking advantage of the newer Excelsior type primary hull and the LN-72 warp drive, making for a fast and flexible platform that could be easily converted to science or combat duties with relative ease. Of particular note with the Leavenworth is the first appearance would what would later be called a dedicated 'sail tower' projection on later vessels, dedicated in this case to a trinary layout of oft called 'mega-phaser' cannon, with fore and aft firing capacity. The design was well received by Starfleet Procurement, as it was somewhat cheaper to build and crew than an Excelsior Class vessel.

The Joshua Paul Class Heavy Frigate's name is something ofa misnomer as it would actually be more accurately classified as a Heavy Assault Frigate, designed to ferry Federation ground forces of varying types through the heaviest combat situations and appear over target worlds, combat transporting troops and equipment to the worlds surface and providing stand off fire support for Federation fleets against aggressor species.

The purpose of such a vessel was called into severe question during the post Khitomer Accords period, when the Federation was looking to cut back on it's 'militarized' fleet. But Starfleet produced a dozen 'just in case', which had turned unfortunately out to be the proper choice when renew skirmishes with the Romulan Empire exploded into several brushfire conflicts along the border area that eventually resulted in the Treaty of Algeron. The Joshua Paul Class has the peculiar distinction of not loosing any vessels of it's class, although many have ended up too badly damaged to be used once again and have been reduced to scrap.

*pout*

Looks like a good mid ranged gap-filling class. Are there any images to go with it as I like to visualise the stats I can see
    Ta Muchly

working on it. IF you have the Jackill's ships of the Fleet Volume 3, you should see them in there. trying to get my scanner to work.

Hmm no, though I have heard of it it's not one of ther things I own

I'd like to see it so have fun with your scanner
    Ta Muchly

still working on it, but here's a brief description for the Leavenworth class.

Leavenworth: This ship was constructed user the new (for the time) excelsior class primary hull, with a pair of LN-72 class warp engines underslung on the ship from a 'raised' connector to the ships primary warp core, that could be blown if the problems of a M/AM containment breach happened. Just behind the bridge module, a small sail tower, raised just above the bridge contained a spare of mega-phaser cannon in a detachable mount for quick replacement. The primary hull retains all of it's regular phaser type VIII phaser banks, for a total of five emitters ventral and dorsal. the main torpedo launcher is contained in the ventral side of the ship facing forward.

Pictures or almost any starship ever published anywhere in the universe can be found on http://www.shipschematics.net

Joshua Paul:
    http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...joshuapaul.jpg

Leavenworth:
    http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...eavenworth.jpg
    "And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."
    "Though a cloaking device, pulsed phaser cannons
    and a full load of quantum torpedoes would be quite nice too."

Cool - not terrible kitbashes

yes generally speaking both designs would be allot more robust than their more elegant cousins, so I can see them being bulk production designs.
    Ta Muchly

Is the heavy frigate so much more effective that it is worthwhile spending the resources to build several vessels of that class, rather than building some number of extra "regular" frigates with those resources instead... and if it IS that much more effective, why not just build that class of vessel and accept having some fewer, but more effective, hulls?

If you can build 4 JP's to every 5 L's, it may not seem that important... but a fleet will be building 40 JP's or 50 L's instead... or even 80 to 100, or 160 to 200. Starfleet's resources are not infinite. Nobody can just build every nice to have ship, a new ship design has to be able to do something signifigantly different than any other, else why waste time and resources building it?

Last edited by calguard66; 07-08-2004 at 02:13 AM.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Talking

The Joshua Paul class couldn't possibly be defined as anything other than an assault ship if you take even a brief look at it compared to a Leavenworth class. The JP is thicker, has the extended hull in the back and is a definitive missile platform buy any stretch of the imagination if you takea look at the weapons sail tower just behind the bridge. It wasn't really build it be anyting other than a ground forces ships that could play kick the can with whatever was in the way when it was heading to it's target and Starfleet never intended for thier to be too many of them, relatively speaking. In short, the JP's come out when the Federation diplomats say "We are gravely concerned about....", which you usually only hear when the feds are about to commence war operations and beat the snot out of whoever made them mad.

The Leavenworth, on the other hand, is an obvious progression of the Locknar/Miranda class, meant to be used on standard patrol and exploration duties. it's only upgraded to the excelsiors class phasers with a few roll bar weapons for a bit of felxibility.

*is intending a slight update on the JP vs L design*. I can't really see them getting hardened systems, but I'm thinking of adding the cargo transporters (over sight on my part) on the JP witha special foot note to the effect that the cargo transporters are designed to transport vehicles crew and all to the surface for fast deployment. Comments?