Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ENTERPRISE strongly rumored to end this year

This rumor sounds a little bit like wishful thinking.

First off, last I heard, statements made by Paramount suggested that its executives believe the franchise is simply losing its fans. There was never a hint that Berman or Braga weren't living up to expectations (although that's probably not the sort of thing they'd air in public.) Still, if it believes the franchise is losing its fans, it seems unlikely to invest in a new series.

Second, its extraordinarily unlikely Starfleet would rely on the Klingons as its sword arm. They aren't reliable, or maybe a better would would be predictable, enough. Internecine conflict could turn them against the Federation.

I suspect that any future series will take place after the Dominion War -- significantly after. Maybe even after the Second Dominion War...

Originally posted by Tricky
    Sadly, if they hired the production teams from Baywatch (the guys who did all the "Pam Anderson slowly frolicing scenes" that took up 80% of the show), and they had the right Low brow lead in, that show could be on UPN forever.
    Mores the pity
    You know, i heard one of the writers of ENT in the first or second season was a former writer on Baywatch

Well I for one have to agree that while it isn't perfect, Enterprise has been getting somewhat better.

Still this whole Klingon show idea sounds... well too Fanboy to me.

Just like before enterprise came out it was being said (in the acting circles) that the new show was going to be about the birth of the Federation and centre on the diplomats and stuff, like West Wing.

We can all see how that worked out.

If you believe this rumor, I have some delightful oceanfront property in central Mongolia I'd like to sell you.

Go, and rumor no more!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

<shrugs>

Okay...believe me or don't believe me, I really don't care.

Just passing on info that has come from TPTB Paramount.

Things do change, however.

Who knows? I could be correct.

And if I am, I'll be back for apologies...
    "Jenny, allow me to write the stupid bastard a prescription..."

"How long have you been wanting to say that?"

"Thought of it last Tuesday."

-- The Doctor and Jenny Sparks (The Authority #2)

I will admit that when I first heard that <em>Enterprise</em> would be set before the original series, I didn't believe it.

So the rumor hasn't got zero credibility with me. But I'm having a nice big bowl of Skeptic Flakes while I think about it, nonetheless.

I thought the next series was going to take place in three seperate timeframes and involve the mixed tribble/horta spandex wearing crew of a Federation starship.

Oh yes, and it's true to Gene's original vision.

whatever that means. . .

Honestly, I'm not sure if a new Star Trek series would meet the expectations of the fandom in general.

I mean, DS9 was a good idea in principle - people were wondering for some time what happens on a starbase, and now we knew. Some say it sucked, and some said otherwise. I didn't like it at first, but regretted not having stuck with it when the Dominion War took place.

Voyager was an attempt to go back to what worked for ST in the first place - exploration. Something just didn't sit well with fans. Some liked it, some didn't. Personally, I liked what I saw, but I haven't seen all the episodes - I haven't even seen how it ends!

Enterprise widened the gap. Those who thrive on continuity are having fits, and most simply didn't like how it's set up. I've seen only a few episodes, and, being a fan of continuity myself, didn't develop a taste for it.

Enter a new series: What could fit in?
    People have proposed Starfleet Academy, which would do well for young fans and old fans alike. A Klingon based series has already seen derision and support.

As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek needs a new series, like TNG or TOS, where diplomacy and frontier exploration\justice are the themes of the day. Voyager took the idea too far.

Honestly, I kind of like the Hidden Frontier stuff at www.hiddenfrontier.org, even if the first season is pretty cheesy. It starts kinda rough, but once they hit Season 3\4, it really improves.
    "We will never have great leaders as long as we mistake education for intelligence, ambition for ability, and lack of transgression for integrity."

Originally posted by The Midnighter

Who knows? I could be correct.

And if I am, I'll be back for apologies...
    I wouldn't hold your breath.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

i dont know how about u ppl but i think it would be nice for a change to see some more combat in the new series

More combat? As long it compliment the intelligently, well-written story for that episode. The last thing I want is gratuitous action, like Cole and T'Pol get into an oil-wrestling match in front of an embarrassing Trip.

Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by UDT/Frogman
    i dont know how about u ppl but i think it would be nice for a change to see some more combat in the new series
    No thank you. Star Trek never was, and never should be, a show simply about combat. There are plenty of other shows that fill that particular niche, and I see no need for Trek to go down that particular road.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by UDT/Frogman
    I'm with you.. for a change i would like to see more action/adventure scenarios in trek. So far, IMO, ST:Enterprise seems to give a dose of that ,such as the episode "Impulse".

More combat? As compared to what?
    The Dominion War?
    Without conflict, there is no story, and armed conflict is an excellent plot device. However, it's not one that should be over-used. And it's easy to overdose on that sort of thing.
    IMHO
    "We will never have great leaders as long as we mistake education for intelligence, ambition for ability, and lack of transgression for integrity."

^^^ Well said. I never understand these folks who want to turn Star Trek into Starship Troopers.

Armed conflict can certainly be an important force in driving a dramatic plot, but it's hardly the be all and end all either. And there are many forms of confict, not all of which involve blowing things up.

I don't object to seeing action in Trek, and it certainly has its place, but the last thing I want to see is nothing but combat.