Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ENTERPRISE strongly rumored to end this year

I never understand these folks who want to turn Star Trek into Starship Troopers.
    Exactly! While the military aspect of ST is a very important part of it it is certainly not something that drives the ST universe. Proper use of militaria in ST as often been used not to glorify battles but to represent the loss and destruction that can insue. DS9 was particularly good at that.

Gaming-wise I never understood those who wanted to use the ST universe to role-play extensive military campaigns (or keep supporting the dreaded SF marines debate). I mean, there are plenty of more genre-specifc (ie military sci-fi, which ST is NOT) games out there, like Battletech for instance. When I used to run ST games most of the starship combat that occured was typical of the kind you saw in the ST series, ie; where a few shots are traded until one side "cries uncle" and no-one really gets hurt.

I think that so far there are been a fair amount of 'action' on Enterprise; plenty of ship fights, phaser fights and the good ol' Kirk-style boxing matches. Doing more would be too much I think.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

I need an inside man at the office of B&B.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

Arrow

Originally posted by Tannekar Sef

More combat? As compared to what?
    The Dominion War?
    Without conflict, there is no story, and armed conflict is an excellent plot device. However, it's not one that should be over-used. And it's easy to overdose on that sort of thing.
    IMHO
    As I said, as long it the story is well-written. The Dominion War arc did more than just cover the combat aspect, it spotlight the horror, the espionage, the wounded, the mood of DS9 personnel when they're reading the updated list of casualties, etc.

Of course, a lot of people here are going to say "been there, done that" so why rehash those elements?

What I'm saying is that it should be done in moderation if not sparingly, but better if not at all.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

what i ment is that i would like to se more ground combat but not with porely trained and ill equipped away teams but with more trained and equipped troops like SEALs or MACO and with little more firepowwer than phasers.

because i kind of getting tirred to see captan Janway or pockard leading the charge in their coloreful uniforms its like starfleed sr offisers are expendible, i think that there is more than enough more trained cannon fodder to send into battle

You have better luck looking for that in Andromeda.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

that show sux

not just because too much combat but because capten goes along and kills everybody

and thats so cheazy

Cool

Originally posted by UDT/Frogman

and thats so cheazy
    You see! It suits you! LOL!!!

These days, I can stomach watching Andromeda over that other one, unless I can find something better, and there aren't many sci-fi shows to watch except SG-1.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

got that right

but i stoped whaching Andromeda a long time ago

Maybe it is time for a break from Star Trek for a little while. Think about it, there has been a steady stream of Star Trek series running since 1987. I think we are getting a Star Trek overload and people are getting burned out. If they cancel the series they should give it couple of years before they try again.
    Last edited by Steele1701; 03-16-2004 at 01:43 PM.
    Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

Talking I disagree.

I think Star Trek: Enterprise is a good series that is finally starting to find it's solid ground, and deserves to continue.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

I guess I am not so much arguing that Enterprise should be canceled as I am saying that once the series runs it's course that should should be a break. Give it a few years before slapping the name Star Trek on something else and putting it on the airwaves.
    Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Steele1701
    I guess I am not so much arguing that Enterprise should be canceled as I am saying that once the series runs it's course that should should be a break. Give it a few years before slapping the name Star Trek on something else and putting it on the airwaves.
    I can't say I disagree with that...although, I would like to see an end of the Romulan War/birth of the Federation movie (or a couple of movies) with the Enterprise crew during the TV hiatus.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    I can't say I disagree with that...although, I would like to see an end of the Romulan War/birth of the Federation movie (or a couple of movies) with the Enterprise crew during the TV hiatus.
    When Enterprise was first mentioned in the media, it was talked up as a prequel to TOS and the rest of Trek. I thought it was going to deal immediately with the founding of the Federation/Romulan war and was disappointed when it was not. I've come to like (not love) the show, but I think it's missed it's potential by not dealing with the political intrigue involved in the birth of the Federation.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

We are still 8 years from the founding of the Federation. 2151 Right now it is 2143

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Stokar
    We are still 8 years from the founding of the Federation. 2151 Right now it is 2143
    Umm...you might be off by a decade there.

The UFP was founded in 2161, and I think the last Captain's Starlog was 8 January 2154 (in "Hatchery").
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz