Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: ENTERPRISE strongly rumored to end this year

Arrow

Originally posted by tonyg

Even ENTERPRISE could be "saved". THey could use the timewar story arc as a way to eliminate all the contractions with TREK cannon, get some good stories, and voila. A two-parter with guest appearances from old series characters out to restore the "damaged timeline" would be a nice way to do it.
    Perhaps, but I have never been a fan of Braga's use of time travel as a plot device in a story. The ones I like were in TOS, and the evironmentally-minded ST IV: TVH. But Braga's use, even in ST: FC (although Trek critics prefer to jab at "Cromwell Cochrane") is a bit iffy at best.

You want to bring me back to Trek and ENT? Wrap the arcs (the Temporal Cold War and the Delphic Expanse/Xindi Threat) up and start up a new one on the road to building the Federation.

As for the movie, hire Nicholas Meyer. Although what's done is done in NEMESIS, it provides a great stage for including an ensemble cast from ALL four Trek series: TOS (last we heard, Spock is on Romulus ... hire Nimoy), TNG (one last hurrah for Picard & Co. on the BIG E-E), DS9 (aside from Worf and possibly O'Brien, get others involved), and VOY (the Intrepid-class ship & crew without Janeway).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man
    It doesn't need to stand alone, or be removed from the proper timeline. What they need to do is somehow tie it in with the proper timeline. While Archer and Crew are out in the Expanse, prehaps the rest of StarFleet is at war with the Romulans.

To tie it in with "canon" that ship could be the Dauntless. With Vulcan/Androian technology and a mixed crew.

But you can't just toss in the Romulan War with ENT in it's current state. Too much of ENT condtradicts TOS cannon. Hard to believe the war could be fought with Atomic missiles and that no Romulan had been seen by an Earthman after what has happened on Enterprise.

Humans would have used the transporter to save some ROmulan, sometime.

Originally posted by REG
    Perhaps, but I have never been a fan of Braga's use of time travel as a plot device in a story. The ones I like were in TOS, and the evironmentally-minded ST IV: TVH. But Braga's use, even in ST: FC (although Trek critics prefer to jab at "Cromwell Cochrane") is a bit iffy at best.

You want to bring me back to Trek and ENT? Wrap the arcs (the Temporal Cold War and the Delphic Expanse/Xindi Threat) up and start up a new one on the road to building the Federation.

I am not to fond of Braga over(use) of time travel either. Much like the Borg. Familiarity breeds contempt (Borg just aren't what they used to be. Haven't actually ADAPTAPED at all to Starfleet. Just try the same "resistance is useless" approach.).

My idea was to wrap up all the current story arcs by using the Temporal War as a way to wipe itself, the Xindi storyarc, and other assorted mess in one story. Think of the current Enterprise series as an entended "Yesterday's Enterprise" type of alternate reality. Guest Stars from other TREK series go back in time, and restore the timeline to "normal" (metaphorically too). One story would allow for the removal of such things as overemotional vulcan women, etc.

It would even fit in with the current series as the Temp Cold War has already stated that First COntact with the Klingons happened too soon, so the timeline IS an alternate from the TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY timeline.

It could allow Paramount to completely rework the series as a season cliffhanger. It won't happen, but it could be done.

Arrow

Unfortunately, it is the only way to do it: fight fire with fire, or in this case, fight temporal anomalies with temporal corrections.

But having guest stars from other Trek series is not a good idea. The TV show have to stand on its own, and not rely on the "crutch" of past Trek characters.

Reserve the Trek alums for the all-star ensemble cast in the next Nicholas Meyer's Trek film.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Well, they could always make ENT an extended dream sequence.

Or maybe a character experiencing a "fictional" holonovel. Then everything could be explained under "artistic liscense".

And there is always Q. Could pop in, say "I liked things better the other way", snap his fingers and with a flash...

Lots of ways to retrofit.

The guest star is just an idea to draw back fans, acknolwedge that things are going to be fixed, and boost ratings. Temporal reapir job could be done by different characters. With Spock ion Romulus in the standard TREK timeline and Romulans suspected as the villians in the Temperoal Cold War, the story almost writes itself. Who knows T'Pol could really be a repentant Romulan spy? Then everything could be just about explained.

Hmm, maybe I should be a scriptwriter?
    Last edited by tonyg; 03-27-2004 at 03:15 AM.

Well, they could always make ENT an extended dream sequence.
    Hah! That is so Dallas. Why don't we do it like they did Dynasty? The Xindi ambushed and once and for all, "mowed down" all the entire Enterprise crew in a series finale cliffhanger episode.

The guest star is just an idea to draw back fans, acknolwedge that things are going to be fixed, and boost ratings. Temporal reapir job could be done by different characters. With Spock ion Romulus in the standard TREK timeline and Romulans suspected as the villians in the Temperoal Cold War, the story almost writes itself. Who knows T'Pol could really be a repentant Romulan spy? Then everything could be just about explained.
    But the problem I have with that is the appearance that ENTERPRISE needed such a "crutch" or "safety net" if they have to resurrect old Trek alum characters. I'm sorry, but they have to get out of the jam by themselves, in order for the show to stand up by themselves and have their own identity distinguished from the other Trek series.

That's why I never did like Q making an appearance in DS9 and in VOY. It was a good thing Q didn't make an additional appearance during DS9 run (probably because when Q got punched by Sisko, he realized that Sisko is not your average human ... skip to season 7, we found that Sisko is half-Prophet), since they found their identity with the Dominion War. Of course, I'm not going comment on VOY. Everybody who have been here long pretty much know my opinion of that show.
    Last edited by REG; 03-27-2004 at 08:55 PM.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

REG,

I agree that the show should stand on it's own merits. That is exactly why they waited so long to bring a TOS cast member back for TNG.

I just don't think ENT has enough merits to do that. Much of it just doesn'T match up with the other series in the franchise, and almost all the changes are for the worse.

When ENT first started, I thought that it had problems, but that it wouldimrpve once it settled in, and the staff got going.

Now season one looks like the highpoint of the show!

I think any chance to make the show work is going to require some radical rewrting.

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Now season one looks like the highpoint of the show!
    Man, in my opinion, season one blew chunks. The second season was barely passable, and this season, so far, has had the best and most consistent writing. I'm not a fan of the Xindi, but at the very least, they give the crew something to do aside from blundering around the Alpha Quadrant trying to convince the audience we've never seen any of this stuff before.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

But you can't just toss in the Romulan War with ENT in it's current state. Too much of ENT condtradicts TOS cannon. Hard to believe the war could be fought with Atomic missiles and that no Romulan had been seen by an Earthman after what has happened on Enterprise.

Humans would have used the transporter to save some ROmulan, sometime.
    IMO, the Romulan-Earth war is ENT's big guns. Fans and possibly bashers would probably be up to seeing a legendary war (not that war is awesome or anything). Its kinda like if you watched the original star wars and had that curiousity about the Clone Wars. If ENT does get a 4th season and if the TPTB are desperate in getting a huge jump in ratings, I wouldn't be surprised if they do the Romulan-Earth war in season four.

Arrow

Originally posted by Space_Cadet

I wouldn't be surprised if they do the Romulan-Earth war in season four.
    It would have been a lot better if they had done it in Season Two. But they already got themselves in a bind after establishing the timeline for ENTERPRISE to start in the first episode.

Still, I wouldnt mind if they advance the timeline ahead in-between seasons.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

If they use the Romulan War it will almost certainly be another rewrite on cannon, so they probably are not concerned about getting the year or events to match with cannon.

With ENTERPRISE, I wouldn't be surprised is the "Romulans" are really just a cover for the Vulcans who want to stop Earth from exploring Space. When they loose the war they leave Vulcan.

Contradicts cannon, but that isn't a big concern for ENT.

I wouldn't mind seeing ENT with an Earth-Romulan war. The phase cannon and photonics used by the capital ships, but the laser cannon and atomics thrown around by the older vessels.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Enterprise Gets Limited Renewal?
    UPN will green-light a fourth season of Star Trek: Enterprise, but will only give the struggling SF series a 12-episode commitment, according to a rumor on the SyFy Portal Web site.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...1/15.00.rumors

I can't access the link, but I'd be wary of news dated an April the 1st...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by C5
    I can't access the link, but I'd be wary of news dated an April the 1st...
    Point taken, but just because it's April Fools Day doesn't mean people didn't get blown up in the news from Iraq today.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."