Thread: The Collective vs. the Dominion

The Collective vs. the Dominion

As mentioned a long time ago, I've been working on a Dominion vs. Borg netbook for ICON. While I know that this site is no longer the ICON home, I thought I might offer it up here anyway, particularly since a great deal of the text is non-system specific.

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

mactavish out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Ok as liz makes a mess of herself, I just say Sa'Weet
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Actually, this fits just fine under General RP, mac. In fact, I'm going ahead and moving it there...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Interesting...

The Dominion vs. Borg scenario really requires the gamer/writer to make assumptions about the rate of Jem Hadar creation, the adaptability of the Borg vs. the Dominion to deal with new threats. The Borg rely almost exclusively on adapting technical advances to overwhelm their prey, rather than alternate strategies. The Dominion seems to be a bit more adaptive, strategically, although much of this seems to be from their vassal races like the Vorta.

The Borg expand by integrating people and technology; if the Dominion can manipulate their servants' behavior and allegiances at the genetic level, it is possible they would be able to adapt the JH, etc. to reject the nanoprobes of the Borg, depriving them of new foot soldiers. With reduced numbers, the Borg might start off fast, but quickly burn themselves out on the Dominion, as they lose the organic elements of their drones.

The nature of the Founders themselves would see to preclude their being Borg-ified; this might necessitate the Borg to change from absorption of the Founders to destruction...this doesn't look to be an option the Borg adopt on screen -- they prefer to coopt.

I guess it comes down to which of the two you think is the badder dog on the block...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Sweet !
    I recognize some material from a PDF called "The Borg Collective" you offered up waaaaaaay back (like around the time of the first draft of Artificial Lifeforms).
    Thanks for sharing !

This is good, real good. Thank you for your contribution to our community.

Very nice Mactavish, I shall have to have a good long read of it!
    Ta Muchly

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    mactavish, you definitley *ROCK*

This is great, i've spent the weekend reading this & it's an excellent piece of work.

Give me a few years & i may be able to dream about writing something this good

Thanks for posting it,

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

First, thanks for moving this to the General RPG category.

All I can say is "Wow!" I am pleased that so many folks have downloaded this document and that those who've posted have said some nice things about it.

I am sorry that I wasn't able to pack more into it at the present, but I will (of course) periodically re-post the file as I make additions and changes.

I wish I'd had the opportunity to actually publish some of the stuff that I've written for Trek over the years, but it just wasn't meant to be. At least I can share them here with people who might actually get some use out of them.

I will have some more stuff within the next couple of months for a variety of Trek RPG-related topics, but I can't say more about them for the time being.

Thanks again for the kind words. That's the input that keeps me writing.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    YES!

OH YES!

OHGODYEEEEEEESSSS!!!

Thank you much.
    You don't have a web cam for moments like this?

Cool Mac, Thanks