Thread: which books do I need for Basic playing?

which books do I need for Basic playing?

Hi!

I tried to get the CODA rpg for Star trek, but I do not know which books I need!

Would please someone so kind to help me?

THX Cmdr. Maddox

The Player's Guide provides all the basic rules/mechanics for character creation, combat, movement, injury, action and so forth.

The Narrator's Guide expands on different settings - TOS, Next Generation, DS9, etc., as well as providing some detail on starship combat. There's a fair amount of attention given to how to run a game as well - what defines effective storytelling techniques, how to show-not-tell, and so on.

All other works are supplemental and give a considerable amount of flavor to the game - especially Aliens, which for both Coda and Icon I would consider virtually indispensable reading.

What he said.

The Player's Guide contains all the rules, and basic equipment, and so on.

The Narroators Guide has all the stuff. Radiation, poisions, ships, etc. If you're really good at just making stuff up, you'll be fine with just the PG. If not, spend the money on the NG.

Originally posted by Arnold Rimmer
    What he said.

The Player's Guide contains all the rules, and basic equipment, and so on.

The Narroators Guide has all the stuff. Radiation, poisions, ships, etc. If you're really good at just making stuff up, you'll be fine with just the PG. If not, spend the money on the NG.
    Since the Narrator's Guide has all the rules and structure for creating NPCs, creatures, starships, and other game master stuff, I would consider it a required book. . . especially if you are new to the CODA system or role-playing games in general.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

A big THX to all who answered here!

It will help much!

THX AGAIN Cmdr. Maddox

As for non-RPG books, if you don't already have them, I highly recommend picking up the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the Star Trek Chronology, the tech manuals for TNG and DS9, and Star Trek Star Charts.

All very useful reference materials.

Originally posted by Ineti
    As for non-RPG books, if you don't already have them, I highly recommend picking up the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the Star Trek Chronology, the tech manuals for TNG and DS9, and Star Trek Star Charts.

All very useful reference materials.
    Another good one for background flavor and as an idea springboard for players and Narrators is

The Star Trek Starfleet Survival Guide
    Last edited by Ezri's Toy; 02-28-2004 at 05:10 PM.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers