Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coda Adventures from Decipher finally on the way !!!!

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Yes. Free money; they've already paid the wages to create the product.All of them. Again, free money.Ah, here's the sticky one.
    The work is done but I'm sure it costs quite a bit to publish these hard color books with tons of photos. It's only free if they turn a profit.

Yes. Free money; they've already paid the wages to create the product.All of them. Again, free money.Ah, here's the sticky one.

First, reaffirm a belief in the line. Have a shakeup or "rebirth" if you will. Like, say, closing down a studio and 'transferring production.'

Rebuild some fan interest and stop the "the line is dead" cries that have gone unanswered. Toss 'em a bone, say a PDF adventure or two.

Next, demonstrate to the distributors a viable and healthy product line to continue to sell. Say 6-10 products (combined) and announce an updated release schedule.

Ah yes, it's all coming together now...
    I just HOPE the folks at Decipher are as smart as you are, Don.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by jened
    The work is done but I'm sure it costs quite a bit to publish these hard color books with tons of photos. It's only free if they turn a profit.
    The breakeven point (for publishing, shipping, and storage) isn't that difficult. Many companies much smaller continue to eek a living by moving only 3K of units. (Decipher RPGs do several magnitude more.)

By not publishing they're assured of writing off the wages and salaries of those products that are already completed as a loss.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by First of Two
    I just HOPE the folks at Decipher are as smart as you are, Don.
    Nah. I'm not that smart.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Not all of them, but most of them; the full time staff certainly.

I'm sure the few wages left to pay are not a major hurdle, though.

Finally some good news.

Congrats to the authors of these pdfs, I for one cannot wait to dl them and read them and use them in our group's campaign. Thanks for beam of hope in an otherwise sad period of "decipher of doom and gloom" threads -- and hoping that as they reorganize they start to do a weekly website update. And here's hoping they start paying you guys for these pdfs and hint hint, give you a job making a collection of them -- sell them on rpgnow, many other "mainstream" rpg publishers are doing that now.

If it turns out that this was it, that the other books will not see the light of day as print and paper, then sell them on rpgnow as well.

All that aside, congrats and keep it up. It's appreciated. Really ;-)

The breakeven point (for publishing, shipping, and storage) isn't that difficult. Many companies much smaller continue to eek a living by moving only 3K of units. (Decipher RPGs do several magnitude more.)
    thanks for the extra info don. i was/am totally ignorant of the publishing business

Originally posted by Atlirith
    ...hoping that as they reorganize they start to do a weekly website update. And here's hoping they start paying you guys for these pdfs and hint hint, give you a job making a collection of them...
    It would definitely be nice, but unlikely. However many books, PDF, or whatever that Decipher has on hand, it's a limited resource: the studio has closed and what they've got is all they've got. I think the best we can anticipate is, maybe, a once every two-three months update between Trek and LotR, stretched out enough so that the supply of work will end roughly when Decipher's license expires.

Also, the PDFs were a for-free with Decipher; perhaps Don and/or Doug have more info, but I got the impression that there was definitely no shortage of individuals willing to submit their work for e-publication. Whatever collections end up being assembled will likely be at our behest, on our time and on our dollar.

I am curious if these free STRPG adventures are the ones that were released at Deciphercons I and II or are entirely new ones. Anyone know?

Originally posted by Jem'hadar
    I am curious if these free STRPG adventures are the ones that were released at Deciphercons I and II or are entirely new ones. Anyone know?
    i've read before that some of them will be the con ones but people have submitted ones that weren't used at the cons also so hopefully it will be every single possible one.

Originally posted by Don Mappin Um, okay and thanks. It wasn't very good; something of an 11th hour rush job. I prefer the TOS adventure by Jesse or the Dave Biggins "Pieces of You" (developer = me) more.
    Where is this adventure from? I have never heard of it before.

Originally posted by AslanC
    Where is this adventure from? I have never heard of it before.
    Which one? "Backstreets of Rigel VII" (TOS, Jesse Heinig) and "Pieces of You" (DS9, Dave Biggins), along with "Perdition's Flames" (Movie) and the old LUG "The Caruso Effect" (TNG, Dave Biggins), are all con adventures. I imagine you'll be seeing them all at some point.

I still have my adventure, "Enlightenment," which I never handed over to Decipher. It's a movie-era Coda adventure.

I have no idea about the fan-submitted ones, though.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

So the con ones are not available for download then.

Bummer. Dave's work has always impressed me.

What about the one you never handed over to Decipher? Anychance it could be shared?

Aslan, you took the words right out of my mouth

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by AslanC
    So the con ones are not available for download then.
    Actually, I got the opposite impression from Don Mappin's response. That Decipher will indeed eventually make available all of the Deciphercon STRPG adventures on their site. After all, they're already completed & were made available in print format for con attendees.