Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coda Adventures from Decipher finally on the way !!!!

Coda Adventures from Decipher finally on the way !!!!

http://decipher.com/content/2004/03/...dventures.html

An RPG Announcement from Decipher
    In January, we announced a change in our internal RPG structure. We moved all resources and development from the L.A. office to Decipher's headquarters in Norfolk. Since that time, we have been investigating the strategic options to allow us to evolve and perpetuate the RPG lines for our players. We will be announcing a new direction for the two RPG lines in the very near future. In the meantime, our RPG players will get to enjoy a series of adventures for The Lord of the Rings and Star Trek RPG systems that will be downloadable from decipher.com for free beginning March 5.

The first two free adventures to be posted are:

STAR TREK Roleplaying Game Adventure
    Name: Perdition's Flames
    Authors: Doug Burke and Don Mappin

The discovery of a rogue planet, a missing Federation starship, and an unstoppable creature that feeds on hatred and violence is the background for a roleplaying adventure that will challenge even the most experienced gamer!

The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game Adventure
    Name: The Ruins of Annúminas
    Author: Scott Metzger

War is looming as Saruman is enticing the Dunlendings to reclaim their lands. Key to this, he says, is the importance in discovering some lost and ancient relics. Your party of Rangers must stop the Dunlending incursion into the Free lands before they unleash something far deadlier than Saruman himself.

Feel free to download and enjoy these adventures, and new ones we'll post over the next few months.

Monica Jones
    Sales & Marketing Director
    Decipher, Inc.

March 1, 2004

Okay. This is a start - in truth I had pretty much given up on the downloadable adventure stuff as a lost cause, and was hoping that at least a couple of the on-tap books would get released before the doors closed entirely.

I really hope that they live up to their promises in this regard; in any case, the issue of the books is still up in the air. All we can hope for is that this is the first step in Decipher starting to assume something vaguely resembling accountability to its paying customers.

P.S.: Very ignorant of me to have not brought this up first: Don, Doug - congratulations on having finally seen your work made available for public appreciation. All the best, and I'm sure we'll all get great enjoyment out of it.
    Last edited by D.S.McBride; 03-01-2004 at 01:13 PM.

Wow this is great news indeed, I can't wait !

Great news about the free STRPG adventure. I've been asking Decipher about it for almost a year now & finally we're going to see some on their web site. I understand there's about 6 STRPG mini-adventures for the Coda system that were released in print during Deciphercons I and II. Hopefully, all will get released on the web.

Hmm, perhaps a positive sign that all is not lost. Why release the adventures if they have no plans to continue publishing?

OK, so maybe they're just hedging their bets, but I'm going to stay positive.

And I'm really looking forward to the Trek adventure.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    P.S.: Very ignorant of me to have not brought this up first: Don, Doug - congratulations on having finally seen your work made available for public appreciation. All the best, and I'm sure we'll all get great enjoyment out of it.
    Um, okay and thanks. It wasn't very good; something of an 11th hour rush job. I prefer the TOS adventure by Jesse or the Dave Biggins "Pieces of You" (developer = me) more.

But hey, the price is right!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

I have to agree with the above reply. Why would Decipher even bother with it if they were not going to continue the rpg line? I have to believe that the worst is behind them now, and they are taking steps forward to get their fan base back(those of us who have not stuck around). I also feel that why have a product release schedule coming soon if they weren't going to publish more books. It would have been easier 6 months ago to say "that's it, we aren't doing any more", instead it has to be a positive note that they are even having an updated schedule. I hope we hear something soon! March can feel pretty long if the weeks go by and we hear nothing.
    live long and prosper

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Hmm, perhaps a positive sign that all is not lost. Why release the adventures if they have no plans to continue publishing?
    Because you have to keep the visibility that the line is still viable.

Brace yourself for a shock: Decipher doesn't sell to you, they sell to distributors.

If distributors get wind that the "line is dead" they won't buy any more RPG product. Fronlist, backlist, or anything else. In order to move the books that are completed they (Decipher) have to at least go through the motions that the RPG lines are alive and well. The absolute worst thing they can do is announce the termination of the lines and say "but we have new books to sell you."

Tossing out free adventures for a couple of months to give the appearance that the line is alive, plus releasing a product schedule of, I will wager, product that is known to be entirely completed prior to the closure of the studio, will help maintain this façade.

The above is rampant speculation and What I Would Do™, but then, what do I know?

[Edit] I should add, before anyone reads too much into this or goes nuts, that this isn't based on any insider information that I have access to. I don't know anything more about what's going on then you do. Total speculation on my part, based on business principles and how the hobby industry works.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

That's no big shock actually, Don. Like I also said, they may just be hedging their bets.

But I'll choose to stay positive for now. If everything falls through, well I'll worry about it then. I'd like more Decipher products, since it's always a bonus to have a supported game. It's not a necessity for me though. And I;m not so naive to believe that Decipher is particularly worried about pleasing little ol' me either.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Total speculation on my part, based on business principles and how the hobby industry works.
    Perhaps, but it makes sense. I would think that the questions the Decipher upper-echelon are likely asking themselves now are:

1. Are we going to publish any of these completed books?

2. If so, how many?

3. If one or more are to be published, what's the best strategy for making sure the distributors will buy as many as possible, considering the incredibly inconsistent and slipshod schedule we've kept over the last two years?

Thus the reason I didn't link this situation - welcome though it is - with the general idea of "Decipher has rehabilitated itself". The downloading of adventures is one thing: getting hardcopy books out into the stores is another. Still, it's considerably better than a stick in the eye.

*shrugs*
    *turns to Librarian Minions of DOOM! (TM)*

"Okay, guys, stop fueling the missiles! Take five until we find out what's really going on here."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    But I'll choose to stay positive for now. If everything falls through, well I'll worry about it then. I'd like more Decipher products, since it's always a bonus to have a supported game. It's not a necessity for me though. And I;m not so naive to believe that Decipher is particularly worried about pleasing little ol' me either.
    Oh, I agree. I was just answering the question as I best knew how.

I think it's premature to announce the second coming of the line when the only thing Decipher has publicly announced is the release of some free PDF adventures. (Whop-de-doo!)

Did you know that "Perdition's Flames" was done in August of 2002 (according to my date/timestamp)? Lets not kid ourselves; these free adventures have been sitting around gathering dust for months. (Dare I say years?) They're not setting any speed records here, people.

Keep staying positive, man.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    Perhaps, but it makes sense. I would think that the questions the Decipher upper-echelon are likely asking themselves now are:

1. Are we going to publish any of these completed books?
    Yes. Free money; they've already paid the wages to create the product.
    2. If so, how many?
    All of them. Again, free money.
    3. If one or more are to be published, what's the best strategy for making sure the distributors will buy as many as possible, considering the incredibly inconsistent and slipshod schedule we've kept over the last two years?
    Ah, here's the sticky one.

First, reaffirm a belief in the line. Have a shakeup or "rebirth" if you will. Like, say, closing down a studio and 'transferring production.'

Rebuild some fan interest and stop the "the line is dead" cries that have gone unanswered. Toss 'em a bone, say a PDF adventure or two.

Next, demonstrate to the distributors a viable and healthy product line to continue to sell. Say 6-10 products (combined) and announce an updated release schedule.

Ah yes, it's all coming together now...
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Well it's always good to get a little educated insight.

Certainly makes us think. Still, time will tell. Either way though, by what you suggest, it doesn't sound unreasonable to believe we may well get at least a few more books published, which would make me happy enough.

It's funny, but in some ways it might be a good thing if the line folds. Some of the fan supplements produced during the lean years after FASA (and later after ICON) were extremely creative, and just as good as the published material. I can't help but think we're all a little spoilt, and it wouldn't hurt us to have to get off our asses and produce our own supplements again. It might even lead to a renaissance in creativity, and would probably give this place a new injection of life, IMO.

So, if we get the remiaining finished manuscripts published, that will give us a wealth of new material. If the game folds after that, I really don't think I'll mind too much. I'm pretty sure the fanbase will step up to the plate.

What I'd really like to know is what is this "new direction" for the RPG lines supposed to be?

And for the record, the only reason I haven't been caught up with any RPGs in the past two years or so is due to money issues (as in "lack of"). Of course, that's another discussion entirely.