Thread: Favourite Narrator Tool

Favourite Narrator Tool

Well since we have so many threads on adventure seeds and the like, I started this one on favourite narrator tools, such as music, cutscenes, etc. I know there are already other threads that cover that but only on each own and not together. I intended this topic to be a source for other narrators to use to improve their own techniques, thus do not spare with explanations and examples.

So come my favourite tools:

Music: First of all I usually try to find a theme song which makes the players get into mood and tone of the campaign. For my current post DW TNG campaign I use the title The Jihad from Children of Dune, you may know it from the trailer for Master and Commander. It is epical and grand as well has a noble sound. Along with the trumpets it still sounds trekkish, so I chose this more or less as the theme for our ship, Galaxy-Class USS Allegiance. I do not only play it when beginning a session but also within the story if the ship or crew is performing a very tense task. Luckily there are different versions of the title on the CD, even a sad and less dramatic one which I intend to use if one of the characters dies ( which will happen in on of the next episode, or at least the players think it happened ).

Cutscenes: I experimented long with prewritten text read out to the players. It is a very useful tool to give information to them and along with it set an atmopshere. However I made the experience that too long passages actually hinder the players more than it does good, so I keep them pretty short. Most often I describe places or persons that way, which is also helpful when portraying/ acting them later on as Narrator.
    Another opportunity to use such scenes are flashbacks, which help develope a character more. It can be a dream, a recall when seeing a photo, the actual appearance of a person or other stimuli, which cause the recall. Thus far however I used it rarely as my players prefer to develop their backgrounds themselves ( which I feel they do too less, however ).

Scenery: I do not mean within the story, but in reality. We once experimented actually using Starfleet Props, even uniform during play - but in the end we actually felt it was silly and distracted more than it was useful. However during one very long and great MERP ( the old Lord of the Rings RPG ) session, I had prepared the room with candles, since it was evening, and the playing table with an old cover, along with several props on it. there was a sword, a horn and wood-cups to drink. Additionally I had managed to get my hands on a hobbit-cook-book and prepared some of it ( actually it was my mother, I did not want to kill my friends ). In the end it turned out great and the players liked it.

Imagery: Usually I try to describe with words or sketches to makes sure that the players see what I intend them to. However sometimes it does not suffice, especially if I want to create a not so well-known atmosphere. Then I use images found in the web, mostly real art, to present the scenery. Not rarely its is also the other way around, I see a picture and try to incorporate the feeling, scenery of it. One source I use is renderosity or if I have the scenery first and try to depict it, I do the picture myself. Mostly I do it with characters, how you can see at my homepage.
    For my current Mage: The Ascension campaign I actually created a short movie, trailerlike, to get people into it.

So that is pretty much it, so what techniques do you have?
    Last edited by Evan van Eyk; 03-06-2004 at 07:00 AM.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Visual Cues

Personally, if i'm going to describe something, i like to have piccies also, the more details the better, sometines though it can be hard to find what you want, so i end up trying to draw. Floorplans/Blueprints/deckplans also help as i *Hate* to have to place something thats flowing well on hold to have the players draw their map, or wait for me to update whats in front of them.
    They say a picture is wort a thousand words, and it's true. I was narrating a game a while back, and the team ended up on mars. There are some great scenery shots of mars around, and i had some plastered on the walls & my GM screen. Instead of describing the scenery in detail, i just pointed & gave them a few words while they looked at the pictures of Mars.

Background.

More specifically, character background, i'm a firm believer that your characters do not simply suddenly appear in the game, they should have a past. I once spent a month creating 4 characters for my players, complete with a (brief) background and history. It makes it easier to play a character when you have something better that a simple list of stats and skills.

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Pictures: I use a screensaver with pictures of the Trek things they know. The more we play the more pictures are available, they love to see the pictures of the Alien of the Last Week, the starbase of the week before that etc.

Pictures 2: I find tons of SF pictures on the net, when they see something for the first time, I stop the screensaver and show them what they see

Pictures 3: I found deck plans on Startrek.com, they took a virtual tour of their ship (NX class) during their first game.

Music: I encoded all my OSTs, I think about 40 (Startrek, 007, Conan, lot of stuff). Then I picked as many as I could and sorted them into different directories (Scary, Suspens, Mystery, Action, SpaceFight etc). I launch the player with a keyboard shortcut, one shortcut per style. So I have different musique all the time but still related to the game. Obviously I had to remove the too famous themes, but eventually I still have at least 15 different musics per mood.

New trick I tried last week: I shake the table when the ship is hit (work fine but you need a good table for this
    Last edited by stephane; 03-04-2004 at 10:47 AM.

I use sketches in every mission we play. It is much simpler to show a quick diagram of the situation then have to explain every detail of the area.

I've also assigned different languages to different species when my crew meets them (My series is not ST based, so we have no universal translators). For instance:

Polish-->Klingons
    French-->Bajoran
    English-->Federation Standard
    Spanish-->Romulan
    Arabic-->Cardassian
    Greek-->Orion

It works well since at most of my players are bilingual...that and I get to curse at them in Arabic and they have no clue what I am saying.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Originally posted by stephane

Pictures 3: I found deck plans on Startrek.com, they took a virtual tour of their ship (NX class) during their first game.
    I assume you speak of this quicktimefiles at startrek.com? I did some deckplans for the NX-Class myself, you can find them at my hompeage at www.farrealms.de

Music: I encoded all my OSTs, I think about 40 (Startrek, 007, Conan, lot of stuff). I launch the player with a keyboard shortcut, one shortcut per style.

That is a cool idea, I tihnk I'll steal it

I also like the idea with the different languages, but it would not work with my players. Most of them only speak German and English. I am capable of some Spanish and I am quite good at Latin, but that would not suffice. Do you translate for those, who actually speak e.g. Klingon, or did you pickt the languages the way that those players understand you in the first place?
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Good players.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

Originally posted by Evan van Eyk
    I also like the idea with the different languages, but it would not work with my players. Most of them only speak German and English. I am capable of some Spanish and I am quite good at Latin, but that would not suffice. Do you translate for those, who actually speak e.g. Klingon, or did you pickt the languages the way that those players understand you in the first place? [/B]
    Well I speak all of those languages, some with more aptitude than others. Since coming back from Jordan I've gotten pretty good with changing between languages on a dime and getting the meaning of phrases just right. Plus they don't always have to understand you. I always leave some words or phrases vague in order to confuse them or I will purposefully use an english word. So lets say they meet a Klingon, and no one understands Polish, I will make sure to toss in some english words so everyone gets the general feel of the situation (i.e. Klingon is going to kill everyone and claim the little one as his bride ).

I usually re-tool before every series the languages so they fit each individual character; the players also help me by not going out of their way to screw it all up.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    One other thing i've found useful now i've started narrating again, sound effects.

There is a Star Trek Sound Effects Generator on the web somewhere (sorry, i've not got the address for it, but i do have the .exe file), and i've found it much better to actually have sounds playing, rather that just saying, your commbadge is going off, i can play the comm badge sound.

My group like it.

Sundowner

(PS, if anyone knows where this file can be downloaded from, i'd appreciate it, i was looking for it the other day to see if there's an updated version. Cheers )
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    I've used that sound generator, I could post it to my website so you could download it, it's the original version I think. I also use a lot of sound effects, not all of my players were into Trek that much at first so they didn't know what everything sounded like, and I draw starships, bases, and planets. Then set them up on the screen or make a couple of handouts.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

What do you use to set the story

First of all...I do not rpg. I write fanfiction but I have been VERY LUCKY indeed to discover sites such as EAS etc to find inspiration. I am greateful to this board as well for pointing me in the direction to locate materials I need for research.

I truly would have never known about the Memory Icon site without looking here. I am in the process of acquiring the Way of D'era and the Among the Calans books for felshing out my Romulan and Andorian characters in my fan fiction that starts this summer.

I also have the DS9 RPG book and the Dominion War Soucreboook- they are an invaluable aid to me in my creation of writing and character development. I only regret that the Klingon and Bajoran books never were done.
    I was born in a camp on Bajor- I joined the Resistance at 12 to fight for my people and my freedom. I joined Starfleet to help KEEP that freedom. As the Prophets will it I shall not fail you, Captain.

Lt.Commander Varin Rel-Former Starfleet Special Operatons officer-now assigned to the USS LUMUMBA-NCC-78245 as CTO.