Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBEM Game or just plain Game Preference?

Question PBEM Game or just plain Game Preference?

I am rather curious about something and would like any and all to comment on this topic as the answers I am quite interested in?

What timeframe of Trek gaming do you most prefer as a player? Why?

What style or type of Trek game do you most prefer playing and Why?

Eg Starfleet Officers, Merchants, Romulans, Pirate Raiders, etc.

Do you prefer your setting to be planetside, station-based or ship-based? Why?

Do you prefer playing enlisted personnel, "Lower Decks" type officer personnel, or Senior staff officers if in a command-oriented game?

Thanks for your time and answers.

Regards,
    CKV.

Well to be very short and sweet!

1) TNG - Progressive to DS9 and beyound
    Why: So as to play through all the later series.

2) SF so far but rackiteering is becoming an option.
    Why: SF is good to play but can wear you down with regs, change is good!

3) Ship based usually, but a splash of all settings is regular.
    Why: Most stuff goes down in space.

4)Lower decks but progressive.
    Why: So PCs can have the full range of rank and privledges.

NP.

PS: On going campaign; started 2363 as fresh ensigns, first posting.
    Current year is 2367 lated 4th season TNG with 1 Cpt (character has never died and is on fast track) and 2 LT (One PCs has a very frequent occurence of dying characters )

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

**What timeframe of Trek gaming do you most prefer as a player? Why?

We started with the movie era, mainly because everyone was more attached to TOS. (One player hated TNG). We also wanted a more "cowboy" style less restrictive game.

**What style or type of Trek game do you most prefer playing and Why?

Starfleet Officers although back in the FASA days we did have a short couple of Klingon series.

**Do you prefer your setting to be planetside, station-based or ship-based? Why?

Ship-based. I could say that it was so that the players could seek out new worlds, new civilizations... But the truth would be occassional starship combat (Like Wrath of Khan or Balance of Terror) and to have something new everytime. (Did have 2-3 recurring antagonists which never reached a battle situation).

**Do you prefer playing enlisted personnel, "Lower Decks" type officer personnel, or Senior staff officers if in a command-oriented game?

Senior staff. The group had a democratically selected idea of what each player should be as a carry over from D&D. The players didn't mind having to spend half of their xp to pay back previous experience as long as they could be a Scotty, Kirk or Spock.

Well, I don’t play in PBEMs (I love IRC, though), but my preferences are the same regardless of the mechanics of how we’re playing the game.

Timeframe: TNG/DS9/VOY era

Style: Starfleet Officers by far

Setting: Ship based, although this is certainly the most negotiable point based on what the Narrator wants to do with his/her campaign.

Rank: Staff officers at least, if not Command rank. (“Oh no! The Captain has the Padwickian Flu again! What do we do?”)

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Smile

In the PBEM games I've played and I am still playing, I prefer the Late TNG-DS9-and beyond era.

All sorts of episodes to exploit.

I have played all sorts of rank levels from ensign to Fleet Admiral. I really have no preference.

Most of all the games I've done so far have been ship based. I have done planetary exploration and other things, but prefer ship based stories. More things to do in space, as has been mentioned before.

------------------
    In Craziness
    Howlin' Mad Mark

AslanC Guest

What timeframe of Trek gaming do you most prefer as a player? Why?: As a player I prefer any time, but most to my heart is Movie Gen Trek. Before the Universe got polutted by TNG and the loss of so many good ideas. So I guess Pre Star Trek V, after that I feel it is all down hill. Enjoyable, but not Star Trek

What style or type of Trek game do you most prefer playing and Why?: I am running a ship board right now, but I am begining to think a Starbase might be a better way to go. That said I am also a big fan of the Prime Team concept. I also would love to run a frontier/DS9 style, where people aren't Starfleet, but more basely motivated characters.

Do you prefer your setting to be planetside, station-based or ship-based? Why?: See above for choice. Each have their merits. Ships contribute better to episodic style play, while Starbase would provide a better campaign direction.

Do you prefer playing enlisted personnel, "Lower Decks" type officer personnel, or Senior staff officers if in a command-oriented game?: Command

My pleasure

In the campaign I'm running, all the characters started out as ensigns newly assigned to a big starship, so there's a lower decks atmosphere, but I also send them on shuttle away missions fairly often so that they can show some initiative. After the first game, I gave one character a brevet promotion to Lt JG, and I'll be allowing them to work their way up in rank as the story continues. We're in early-mid TNG era, mainly because I want them to do something involving the Cardassian occupation of Bajor.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to combine the adventurous Damn-the-Torpedos frontier atmosphere of TOS with the politics of DS9.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 02-24-2001).]

>>What timeframe of Trek gaming do you most prefer as a player? Why?

Honestly, all of them. I think they all are good eras to play in, and present different styles of stories to tell. However, my current game takes place at the very begining of the Dominion War.

>>What style or type of Trek game do you most prefer playing and Why?

I personally perfer Starfleet myself, mostely because that's what we know the most about on the shows. However, I had an idea of a DS9 campaign where players could run non-SF characters.

>>Do you prefer your setting to be planetside, station-based or ship-based? Why?

Mostely, ship-based, although any of the others are good too. I like ship-based more, though, because of the style of stories I like to tell.

>>Do you prefer playing enlisted personnel, "Lower Decks" type officer personnel, or Senior staff officers if in a command-oriented game?

Senior staff, with the option of becoming command staff. While I have nothing against a "lower decks" game, my games never seem to last all that long, and I want my players to have the feel of being some of the "uper-up's" on board ship.

Chris

------------------
    God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.

What timeframe of Trek gaming do you most prefer as a player? Why?

My ideal time period would be the Movie Era. There's just something about it that speaks to me. But I'm currently playing two post DS9 campaigns, and am thus far enjoying those as well.

What style or type of Trek game do you most prefer playing and Why?

I like Starfleet. But I don't like the hidebound Starfleet of TNG -- I prefer a certain flexibility found on DS9 and Kirk's era.

Do you prefer your setting to be planetside, station-based or ship-based?

Once again, I think a ship based setting is integral, or at least attachment to a ship. Even DS-9 didn't pick up until they added the Defiant!

Do you prefer playing enlisted personnel, "Lower Decks" type officer personnel, or Senior staff officers if in a command-oriented game?

Once again, the ideal for me is playing someone fresh out of the academy, or perhaps even going through the academy and working their way up through the ranks, learning along the way. Mirroring, if you will, Horatio Hornblower's saga. Of course, I'm currently playing an XO in a campaign, and that has its own special charm!

As for the topic of this question -- PBEM or IRL? I will always prefer IRL over anything else. There's no substitute for having other people around. But PBEM is provoing to be a great deal of fun thus far, and is an adequate substitute for my "fix."

And there're my two strips!

--G

As an addenda to the above: As a GM or a player do you have a preference for a starship class to be used in a game and if so why?

Regards,
    CKV.

Well, as a GM, I have to say the ship I choose really depends on the story idea. I perfer for my crew to be the sienor crew if I can help it, though I do like the idea of allowing them to raise up in ranks. So, I would say a mid-sized ship, probably a Saber or an Intreped. As a player, I look at it this way. My character is in Starfleet, and is being assigned to whatever ship they need him on. I'm just happy to be there.

Chris

------------------
    God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.

AslanC Guest

I'm an old school kinda guy, so for me there is only one ship. Constitution-Refit. Too bad the Connie Class had to die, but the Excellsior and Miranda held on

In my games, from FASA on, we've used a Constitution refit, Miranda, Chandley, K't'inga and a Winged Defender.

The good old Winged Defender, how we had fun blowing those out of the sky.

I prefered a few of the other Romulan ships for my Romulan campaigns back in the day, never quite liked the look of the "new" Romulan ships.

By the way Kaiddin, did you live in Calgary at one point?

Regards,
    CKV.

By the way Kaiddin, did you live in Calgary at one point?

Regards,
    CKV.[/B]
    No never did. Why?