Thread: TNG-era Warp Speed Equation

Question TNG-era Warp Speed Equation

What's the equation for the speed of a warp factor in multiples of c?

I know that for TOS-era, the speed in c is the cube of the warp factor.

I want to take a couple of TOS and TMP era ships from fan publications and convert them to TNG stats. Their warp speeds are listed in the older scale, showing ships with speeds like cruise warp 9, flank warp 12, emergency warp 18. So I'd like to be able to calculate the speed in c (TOS wf9.0 = 729c) then convert it back to modern warp (729c = TNG wf??).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Re'k:
    What's the equation for the speed of a warp factor in multiples of c?

I know that for TOS-era, the speed in c is the cube of the warp factor.

I want to take a couple of TOS and TMP era ships from fan publications and convert them to TNG stats. Their warp speeds are listed in the older scale, showing ships with speeds like cruise warp 9, flank warp 12, emergency warp 18. So I'd like to be able to calculate the speed in c (TOS wf9.0 = 729c) then convert it back to modern warp (729c = TNG wf??).
    </font>
    Basically its warp speed to the power of 10/3 until warp nine, then it escalates. There's a big formula for that if you want it.

Butu a standard TNG warp table should give you rough conversions.

And in TOS a ship was doing well to do warp 9-10. Anything higher was generally alien assisted or such. So I'd check your speeds with other sources.

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

Talking

Yes, if you have this "big formula", I'd like it please.

And I might do some scaling back on the warp speeds listed in these fan books I've got. Depends on how fast they seem to be after I convert them to TNG-era warp numbers.

I'd also like to use the formula to figure out just how big a jump it is from the Galaxy's top end of 9.6 to the Intrepid's 9.972.

Thanks!
    --Re'k

You can find formulas from Joshua Bell's Star Trek FAQ's:

http://members.aa.net/~skeksis/Star_...ities-faq.html