Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Trek Aliens

AslanC Guest

Question Non Trek Aliens

Okay after a recent discussion about alien powers and empires and the Traveller aliens coming up, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what aliens that are definatly not from Star Trek that they use in their campaigns.

I have been hesitant of doing so yet in my game, but I would love to gauge the group's feelings on this topic.

Personally I would love to use some of the Star Frontiers, Farscape, Traveller and Marvel Comics alien races.

Anyone else care to share?

Real Aliens or ones you've made based off others?

I had the Tubekai, basically a cross between Predators and Mongols! Oh and a bit of Species 8472 for flavour

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Used the Nietzcheans from Andromeda for one episode. Boy was that a mistake. Now my players want to do other crossovers and other shows or movies as an Icon game.
    I started working on Andromeda but then the players started nagging on Battlestar Galactica. I agreed to start that but with the intention of a separate game. That held them until one guy became a Claudia Black fan. Now he wants to do a Farscape crossover next.
    Even Buck Rogers has been mentioned.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhh

[This message has been edited by Kaiddin (edited 02-20-2001).]

I've been toying with the Neitcheans myself. I like some of the culture aspects. I've been thinking about separating them out completely from humans, giving them a different form, however; preferably something not humanoid.

We've got something akin to the 'ultimate tourists', a procyon-like critter called the Do'Atani. They cruise around the universe with cameras, souvenirs, and massive backpacks. They like shiny stuff, are unswervingly curious, and good comic relief.

I'm looking to use the new blue bad girl chick from Farscape (can't remeber hre name offhand). Love the Geiger-esque look.

I've got something similar to the Pak'Ma'Ra from B5 too.

I have yet to actually use any non-Trek aliens in any Trek campaign, though I have been tempted many times. I really did use the K'Khree, under the name Hiwii, as a minor alien race in a Romulan campaign I tried to get my players interested in.

The idea was to feature them in a two part episode which was basically a worms-eye view of the conquest of a small empire with roughly 22nd-century technology. The valiant players would have gotten to be part of a fleet carrying a legion of shrikes to conquer a race that really did not want to be conquered.

Part of the point of the episode was to emphasize that war, conquest, and oppression were part of the Romulan Empire's whole reason for being. I think we tend to forget that, about Romulans and Klingons alike.

So, I wanted to feature an episode strongly reminiscent of "The Thin Red Line" or "Full Metal Jacket" in its sheer brutality and horror. This is something totally inappropriate to a Federation series, but VERY appropriate to Klingons and Romulans, as far as I am concerned.

Of course, getting a chance to kill a few K'Khree also entered into it....

Alas, my players were not interested in the whole idea of Star Trek, so that idea, like the K-Reach campaign sadly went nowhere.

------------------
    Slan agat!

I always thought that the vegetal based lifeform described in "the crucible of time" a book by John Brunner were very interesting. The book is about their history from their medieval times to space age and the launch of their first ship. Wich gives you a lot of material to devellop them (history, culture, religion, and a scientific approach different from ours).

------------------
    Hoping You'll understand all of this

next week, i will try too incorporate monster come from "call of cthulu" and "monstrous manual" of ADD

Cthulu and giff versus Defiant
    Great fight

FERENGI'S POWER

Well, I am currently planning to introduce:

• Vagr (from Traveller) also I will make them a real race not some mutated Rin-Tin-Tins and mutate their behaviour a bit towards Kieplings wolfes. Vagr are a Dog-like race with a pack mentalitie. The leader is the one with the strongest charisma.
    • Baufrin (from Renegade Legions) since Spider-type aliens simplie make people shudder and forget the fact that they might be quite harmless and peaceful.
    • Pentapod (from 2300AD) since I like a race that does everything with organics and that is just a "living sensor drone" itself. (The real Pentapod are giant fish)

Michael

Seems to me that if you dump the origins of the Vargr (Earth canine stock elevated to sapience by the Ancients and seeded on planets to Coreward), you've dumped the essential element that made them interesting in Traveller. I liked the Vargr, and have also been thinking of introducing them in my Trek game, but I'm making it a First Contact scenario and leaving in the transplanted/gengineered angle - it plays in with my Star Trek: Relic campaign and the origins of the Dyson Sphere...

Well sure, especially since you have the Preservers planting transplanted humans from Earth all over the area (Epsilon Corvis III's Amerind population, Planet 892-IV's Romans etc.) covered by the intitial expansion of the Federation (i.e. the TOS episodes). Why could they have not done the same thing for man's best friend -- along with a quickie dose of 'evolution' or'genetic engineering' to make them better able to survive in their new habitat? And why stop at canines? What about the ceateans? Maybe there is a dolphin culture out there which has been similarly adapted (or has become part of a symbiotic relationship with another culture to better adapt them to tool-making) just waiting for your intrepid crew to locate?

John D. Lees
    Mad Political Scientist

Actually, Publius, there is excellent cannon evidence for a preserver-esque cetation preservation. Namely, the culture which created the Probe from STIV:TVH

The only unofficial non-Trek elements that I ever use in a game are either self-created or altered to such an extent that they could be reasonably considered part of the Star Trek universe (i.e. Trek novels and such).

I must say that I'm puzzled why one would want to include information from other sources such as Babylon 5 and Dr. Who. Is there not enough in the Trek universe to utilize and expand on?

Call me a purist, but I think that the introduction of battleships and warrior aliens and embroiling the Federation in a series of genocidal wars is simply too... unTreklike, I guess.

Of course that's only my opinion... I could be wrong.

mactavish out.

Time to add my two cents.

It's my opinion that in most SciFi series (especially in Star Trek and B5), aliens reflect certain aspects of the Human condition. For example, Klingons are warriors, Ferengi and greedy and Bajoran's are spiritual. Thus, bringing in an outside alien that serves the same function as an existing species seems redundent to me. For example, I could bring in the Neitchiens (which, BTW, I love), but really, almost any story that I could write featuring them I could also do featuring the Klingons, and it would be the same story. There are only two reasons I personally would bring in outside aliens to a Trek game. One, if it was a species that reflected something that hasn't been done yet in Star Trek (can't think of one off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's at least one out there). Two, if my campaign took place in an area of space not covered by the shows or where the established species just wouldn't be in (for example, my current game, which takes placein the Gamma Quadrant).

Just my thoughts.

Chris

------------------
    God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.

Originally posted by qerlin:
    I'm looking to use the new blue bad girl chick from Farscape (can't remeber hre name offhand).
    Chiana - I think that is how you spell her name.

And as far as new species I'v been working on the Kam'Jahtae from the ST:Invasion game...but most of the info I have is from game reviews...i.e. not much. I also have a version of the Nychians but in my game their dimensional refugees from whats left of the Terran Empire in the Mirror Universe (they just seemed to fit)

Phoenix...

------------------
    Know fear...

Thanks, Phoenix, but it's not Chiana (sorry to get off topic, guys...) It's the blue bint from the shadow bank that Scorpius is getting hot and bothered by.

Back on topic: anybody have any cool, non-humanoid critters from their campaigns? Looking for something with a GOOD, striking visual to hit the players with.