Thread: [Q] what happens when...

[Q] what happens when...

Hi all

Stupid question I guess but what happens when the
    Operations systems are destroyed during a spacefight ? I mean, no weapons, they can't fire, no propulsion they can't move, what about no Operations ? Is it game over as no Life Support or what ?

Thanks

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    "Operations" systems involve things like command and control, shuttle launch and recovery, tractor beams, cloaking devices, and the like.

For me, the loss of the ship's operations systems would mean that the bridge can't control anything anymore (although engines would still function, manevering thrusters would still operate, etc.), comms are down, the cloaking device is inoperative, shuttles can't launch or land, etc. Yes, the ship is effectively crippled.

Of course, you'll probably want to check that against what the NG says about it.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Re: [Q] what happens when...

Originally posted by stephane
    Hi all

Stupid question I guess but what happens when the
    Operations systems are destroyed during a spacefight ? I mean, no weapons, they can't fire, no propulsion they can't move, what about no Operations ? Is it game over as no Life Support or what ?

Thanks
    Actually, the Operations Systems damage track is sort of a catch-all for anything that doesn't fall under the other damage tracks. Thus, Cloaking Device, Transporters, shuttles, Computers, etc. Life Support and Sensors, whil;e listed under "Operations Data" on the ship template, dop not fall under the Operations damage track, since they have one of their one...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Doug got it in one. Taking out Operations takes out a lot of a vessel's secondary systems. This is akin to panels exploding and the transporters going offline, breaking from a tractor beam, etc.

For ships with a cloak, Operations systems are very important; that's how you disable a cloak.

Don,
    Decipher Starships Guru
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride