Thread: Levels to Ranks?

Levels to Ranks?

Chello!

I'm considering letting one of my players convert an old MERP/RM PC over to the new system. Her character is a level 6 Ranger. Would given her 6 advances be fair? More or less?

Thanks,

Tony
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."

I did a similar thing for interest's sake - my wife is familiar with D&D, but not CODA LotR, and she was asking me what "levels" Aragorn etc would be.

I just took the advancements and converted into XP, then looked at the tables in the Player's Handbook.

It's a far from perfect conversion, but it actually ties in fairly well - in FotR, Aragorn for example, would be an 8th level Ranger. By TTT, he is a 12th level Ranger, etc.

Not perfect, but close enough for government work!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Re: Levels to Ranks?

Originally posted by Lord Kjeran
    Chello!

I'm considering letting one of my players convert an old MERP/RM PC over to the new system. Her character is a level 6 Ranger. Would given her 6 advances be fair? More or less?

Thanks,

Tony
    I used to have a MERP campaign and converted to LOTR RPG. I can't recall what number of advancements Aragorn was listed as having in LOTR, but I believe that after Return of the King MERP stats showed him to be 33rd level. I am pretty sure he had more than 33 advancements in LOTR, even by Fellowship era standards. I think that levels and advancements may not be quite at par - but comparing just a few canon characters in both systems will give you a reasonable conversion benchmark.
    Fire at Will!

Zzzzaaap!

Riker's Dead, Sir!

Here is the cheezy system I use for quick conversions of characters. It is far from perfect, but it works for me.

The two systems are so vastly different in style and gameplay that, to be honest, there really is no way to do a true conversion. The easiest way to "convert" from one system to another is to take a good look a the Rolemaster/MERP version of a character or monster, and re-create it to the best of your ability using the CODA system. Try to think of it less as a conversion, and more of a rebuild.

Here are some general guidelines that I use when going between RM/MERP and CODA. Remember that these are NOT conversion rules; they are guidelines to follow when remaking a character.

Step 1: Convert Ability Scores.
    Use the table below to convert the character’s Rolemaster stat to its equivalent LotR attribute. Note that you convert the actual stat, not the stat bonus.

ROLEMASTER = Lord of the Rings
    (PR + EM) ÷ 16 = Bearing
    (AG + QU) ÷ 16 = Nimbleness
    IN ÷ 8 = Perception
    Strength ÷ 8 = Strength
    Constitution ÷ 8 = Vitality
    (ME + RE) ÷ 16 = Wits
    Round all fractions down

Step 2: Racial Ability Modifiers.
    Add racial modifiers from the LotR RPG core rulebook. Determine the character’s attribute bonuses, and select two favored attributes.

Step 3: Reactions and Secondary Attributes.
    Now that you know the characters attribute bonuses, determine its reactions and secondary attributes as per a normal LotR character.

Step 4: Racial Skills and Language and Lore Skills.
    At this point, multiply the character’s Wits by 3 and spend those points on racial Lore and Language skills, as per a normal LotR character.

Step 5: Order.
    Select an order from those provided in the LotR Core Book. Many of the Rolemaster professions have an equivalent LotR order (warrior to warrior, mage to magician, thief to rogue, etc.). If a direct correlation is not possible, you may want to purchase multiple orders for the character during the next step.

Step 6: Rolemaster Levels to LotR advancements.
    The differences between the two systems are so great that the easiest way to convert a character from this point forward is to simply re-create it as a LotR character and use the Rolemaster information as a guideline.
    Twice character’s Rolemaster levels equals its LotR advancements — not counting the free advancement all characters receive as the last step of character creation. Once you have determined the character’s number of advancements, you can begin to re-create the character.

Step 7: Order Skills and Abilities.
    When purchasing skills for the character, select which Rolemaster skills you will convert and which you will not. Obviously, not all Rolemaster skills will convert to an equivalent LotR skill. The Narrator and player should use their better judgment in selecting which skills will be converted.

The player should purchase skills similar to those possessed by the character in Rolemaster. They are not required to purchase identical or equivalent skills, but they should try to maintain the flavor of their original character and maintain continuity. All prerequisites and restrictions to skills and their non-order costs apply.

The character now receives its 15 points for order skills and 5 free skill picks. You must follow the rule for starting characters that no skill have more than 3 ranks at this point. You can increase your skills with your advancements in the next step just as any other normal LotR character. The character at this point also receives its one free order ability. All restrictions to order abilities apply. You can purchase other order abilities with your advancements.

Step 8: Advancements
    Once you have spent the 15 points for order skills and 5 free skill picks and chosen your order ability, you may spend the character’s free advancement and the additional advancements you calculated in step 6.

Step 9: Convert Magical Gear.
    Since Rolemaster was much more generous in providing magic items than LotR, a general guideline to follow is to allow a player to pick one or two of their favorite magic items to convert, and ignore the rest. Remember, also, that the only unusual substance allowed in LotR is mithril; substances such as adamantine, laen, eog, and other materials do not exist. Most items that were magical in Rolemaster should be heroic items in LotR — true magic items are rare. For magic items, use the following general guidelines.

1. Bonuses: If the magic item provides a bonus to a particular skill, divide the Rolemaster bonus by 5. The result is the bonus to the similar LotR skill. For example, a +10 dagger in Rolemaster converts to a +2 dagger in LotR.

2. Spell Adder: A spell adder allows a spellcaster to ignore one failed Stamina test per day per spell added. A +2 spell adder would let a spellcaster ignore two failed Stamina tests, and so on.

3. Power Point Multiplier: Double the power point multiple. The result is the bonus to Stamina tests to resist Weariness for spellcasting. For example, a ×2 power point multiplier converts to an item that provides a +4 bonus to Stamina tests to resist Weariness form spellcasting.

4. Other Magic Items: Other magic items can be converted on a case-by-case basis using the enchanted item guidelines in the LotR core rulebook.

Chello again!

Wow, Camdin! that's a bit more than I need. I'm less worried about an exact translation of the charcacter. Most just wanted her to be able to recreate her character off teh cuff and give an ample amount of xp. I'll go with Lvl x 2 for a total of 12 advancements.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Tony

Originally posted by Lord Kjeran
    Most just wanted her to be able to recreate her character off teh cuff and give an ample amount of xp.
    It may seem like a lot, but actually this is what my post above contains. Its really just a few guidelines to rebuild rather than to convert a character.