Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Coda SS] K-type Deep Space Station

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Post [Coda SS] K-type Deep Space Station

Federation K-Type
    Deep Space Station; Commissioned 2245

Hull Data
    Structure 50
    Size/Decks 8/63
    Length/Height/Beam 480/380/550 meters (340 meter radius)
    Complement/Residents 604/1200

Tactical Data
    Phasers Type I (x3/A)
    Penetration 2/2/2/0/0
    Photon Torpedoes Mk 6 IF (x2/A)
    Penetration 2/2/2/2/0
    Deflectors PFF2 (A)
    Protection/Threshold 12/2
    Hull Plating Type III
    Protection 9

Propulsion Data
    Impulse System SBA (x7/C) (.25c)
    Warp System n/a

Operational Data
    Atmosphere Capable No
    Cargo Units 220
    Life Support Class 4R (EE)
    Operations System Class 5 (F)
    Sensor System Class 3 (+3/D)
    Separation System No
    Shuttlebay 1 ventral section
    Shuttlecraft 8 size worth
    Tractor Beams 2 ventral section, 1 dorsal command section
    Transporters 12 standard, 12 cargo, 12 emergency

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers +5C, -7H, +2T
    Traits Hardened System (Operations, Life Support)

Notes
    As part of its exploration directives of the 2240s, the Federation Council authorized the creation of "civilian-administered deep-space facilities to provide way stations for merchants, explorers and Starfleet personnel." The resulting K-Type stations became a haven for Federation citizens in the rifts between stellar clusters.

Hardy, but lightly armed, the station supports an administrative and maintenance crew of over 600, and residential sections for 1,200 additional beings. It's shuttlebay is large enough for Size 4 ships to land in (for a nominal fee), although it does maintain a standard Class F shuttlecraft for station operations.

One of the most notable K-Type stations was K-7, the Federation's main supply base for the development of Sherman's Planet in the late 2260s. In 2267, a shipment of the revolutionary grain quadrotriticale bound for Sherman's Planet was being stored at K-7 when the crew of USS Enterprise discovered it had been poisoned by a Klingon agent.

Editor's Note: 101 of 119 space used

Edit: I mistakenly used 141 space, which is for size 9 ships. The only things that changed are a reduction in structure by 10, and a reduction in cargo by 60. I also changed the average deck size to 6 meters/deck, reducing the decks to 63 and the crew/passenger complement accordingly. Put in the wrong number of impulse engines required. A size 8 craft requires 7 SBAs.
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 03-18-2004 at 03:30 PM.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Thumbs up

Good job!
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Ah, ye good ole times!

Excellent work!

Just a question, how did you arrive at the deck count? 76 seems a bit high to me.

Just curious.

Originally posted by AslanC
    Just a question, how did you arrive at the deck count? 76 seems a bit high to me.

Just curious.
    It's 380 meters high. Using the 3-5m per deck rule from the NG, I decided I should give this thing as few decks as possible. So, I divided by 5 to get 76 decks.

Remember, this thing is about as tall as a refitted Constitution is long.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

OK, I've never done a deck count, but the diametre of the station is approximately 450m, based on the miniature built for STS9's Trial and Tribble-ations, using the Class F shuttle in the shuttlebay as a base measurement (24' in length).

With a 340m radius, the station as given in these stats is way too large, by about 50% (linear).

Owen, I was just going by my own measurements of an image of the station model and extrapolating them from the length of the Class F/G shuttle (which gave me the ~340m radius). If someone has actually published dimensions of the models, please share them.

'Til then, I'll stick with my numbers.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Aslan asked me what a 450m diameter version of the K-Type station would look like, so here's what I came up with:

Federation K-Type
    Deep Space Station; Commissioned 2245

Hull Data
    Structure 45
    Size/Decks 7/42
    Length/Height/Beam 340/250/390 meters
    Complement/Residents 403/800

Tactical Data
    Phasers Type I (x3/A)
    Penetration 2/2/2/0/0
    Photon Torpedoes Mk 6 IF (x2/A)
    Penetration 2/2/2/2/0
    Deflectors PFF2 (A)
    Protection/Threshold 12/2
    Hull Plating Type III
    Protection 9

Propulsion Data
    Impulse System SBA (x6/C) (.25c)
    Warp System n/a

Operational Data
    Atmosphere Capable No
    Cargo Units 185
    Life Support Class 4R (EE)
    Operations System Class 5 (F)
    Sensor System Class 2 (+2/C)
    Separation System No
    Shuttlebay 1 ventral section
    Shuttlecraft 8 size worth
    Tractor Beams 2 ventral section, 1 dorsal command section
    Transporters 9 standard, 9 cargo, 9 emergency

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers +5C, -7H, +2T
    Traits Hardened System (Operations, Life Support)

Notes: 89 of 99 space used

Edit: Put in the wrong number of impulse engines required. A size 7 craft requires 6 SBAs. I sacrificed 5 cargo units to keep the space used steady.
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 03-18-2004 at 03:29 PM.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

I made a couple of edits to the original version (like using the correct number of space points available for a size 8 station ).
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Loooking good Sea Tyger

That is what Deep Star Six shall be

Originally posted by AslanC
    Loooking good Sea Tyger

That is what Deep Star Six shall be
    I noticed a mistake with the number of impulse engines I included. The errors have been corrected.

Now that's what Deep Star Six should be...

(Deep Star Six....wasn't that the name of an "underwater leviathan" Aliens-like movie?)
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    (Deep Star Six....wasn't that the name of an "underwater leviathan" Aliens-like movie?)
    Not to be confused with the other underwater Alien-like movie "LEVIATHAN".

So again these are the official stats for the DS6 game

It's been a loooong while since I read the Coda books, but isn't the computer part of the Ops System?
    With a class 5 ops system this station would have one of the most advanced computer systems ever installed on a Starfleet ship or base.

Why not make it a class 3R or 4R instead, at least for Aslan's DS6? It would use almost the same space, but be a little less advanced, which I would consider more fitting for a frontier installation (i.e. better use a older, hardened, system, than a cutting-edge system that's prone to be damaged with the first hit).

OTOH, that may just be me.

The computer core is only a part of the operations system, which also encompases transporter operations, command and control, supply and logistics, flight control, etc.

Also, I think that it's improper to equate "highly capable" with "technologically advanced." I gave it a Class 5 operations system because the station's entire purpose is to support regional commerce and exploration. It's a way station built on support, and must have the capability to provide that support. The Coda system that best describes that capability is "Operations."
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

We interupt this broadcast with a blatant plug

Well some of the more regular readers of the Forums will probably have noticed I have just about dropped off it (if they care?!? )

Anyway I was here lurking, I've just been busy on other things!

Since you (sea Tyger ) have been statting up the old K7 I wonder if you could do me the favour of codafying the Space station Ive been working on ->

http://combhome.wafel.net/images/test45.jpg
    http://combhome.wafel.net/images/test46.jpg
    http://combhome.wafel.net/images/test48.jpg

It's basically quite small (I've calculated it to be about 160 meters high by about 320 meters wide as an average - the long docking arm being about 200 meters) - and technically it's 39 decks high - though of course allot of that is not very ruminous

ANyway if you could do that it'd be cool and I return you to your regular service!
    Ta Muchly