Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Coda SS] K-type Deep Space Station

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I cen't seen to load up the image pages at the moment, but I'll try to get to this next week.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Sorry yeah sometimes the server flakes out - it'll be back up again soon enough

Thanks!
    Ta Muchly

Hmm, it looks like a K-type variant, maybe a newer class of station base on the K-type. I'll have to think on it a bit.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Tobian, HOLY SHIT!

This looks great. I'll definitely steal this one (with your permission of course). I'm planning to transfer my players to one of the stations along the RNZ and your design seems to be perfect for this.
    BTW, what program(s) did you use to make the graphics?

Big thanks for sharing this with us.

You're welcome Ergi

I'm using Lightwave to do it all in, but I made up allot of the component parts in Illustrator and of course painted the textures in Photoshop

It's not finished yet, those are just some of the work in progress shots I've been making up, to show people how it's coming allong I've been skiving off at the Scifi-meshes website, so if you want to follow the progres you can check it out on there

I don't mind too much if people want to use it for their private stuff but I'd like to know if you use it publically - if for no other reason than I don't want it 'released' before it's finished

The station design is based on all sorts of bits and peices from Startrek - especially some of the concept designs for the Amargosa stellar observatory, though of course I needed to add some actual interior space to it

It's pretty small actually, but it has some pretty good defence phasers (Which are actually rigged in the model if I want to aim them at something! ) and of course good sensors and long range COMMS arrays. The idea is that the station is pretty much modular - so you can swap out the various arms depending on your needs. I guess you could also use a variation on the arms and chain a few of them together if you wanted to make a larger facility (Not that my computer would cope with the ram demands if I did that !)

Points wise I suspect it's not going to fit much at all in it !
    Ta Muchly

It is a fine design sir

You should be proud to say the least

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

Very nice

Excellent looking station!

Was a write-up ever done for Pluto Station? Would be curious to see the final images as well.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Not yet, and I haven't finished it yet, so you'll have to wait like eveyone else

I've been quite busy with other things latelly, and kind of lost my modeling Mojo Just looking round to find it again hehe.
    Ta Muchly

Originally posted by Tobian
    Not yet, and I haven't finished it yet, so you'll have to wait like eveyone else

I've been quite busy with other things latelly, and kind of lost my modeling Mojo Just looking round to find it again hehe.
    And I was remiss in my promise to write it up for you. I'll see if I can do that next week at work.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Tobian
    I'm using Lightwave to do it all in, but I made up allot of the component parts in Illustrator and of course painted the textures in Photoshop
    With some straight up 6-views, or better yet some of the Illustrator files, a guy with time on his hands (which I may not have for some time, but I'd sure like to try and sneak some in) might be able to work up some deckplans.

The first problem with deckplans is trying to get the vessel/base exterior re-drawn and the scale worked out. This is not an insignificant hurdle mind you, my Raven plans sputtered and have practically died due to this problem (I continue to hold out some hope for them of course). If those components can be supplied to me however, the interior work can be gotten to in a much shorter timeframe.

Just thinking out loud of course...
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Publis I can do better than that.

All of the model was constructed from an Illustrator template, which I can send you.

That would be awsome if you could do that for me! Quite how it's all going to fit inside there I have no ideas, but I'm more than willing to help!
    Ta Muchly

Any chance we can tap you for K-type station blueprints too, Publius? I know that free time is a luxury...
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

http://combhome.wafel.net/downloads/...-section-2.zip

Ok This is probably not as helpful as it could be as I made allot of it because it's useful for 3d extrusion, but here's a couple of top down renders for you.

http://combhome.wafel.net/downloads/Test-renders.zip

Also some of my earlier renders might prove useful..

http://combhome.wafel.net/images/test44.jpg
    http://combhome.wafel.net/images/test33.jpg
    http://combhome.wafel.net/images/overview.jpg

What I do know is wrong in the sections in illustrator is that the docking bays are longer in the final model. This is 'cause I realised a Runabout wouldn't fit in it!!!

I can't remember if that top down is older than the rejig or not, so if you find a runabout is bigger it'll need stretching ! I'll do another top down render when i get the chance.

Ok doing a little detective work and trying to measure a REALLY awkwardly shaped object I derived the following dimensions for your reference too...

Going back to my original illustrator file I managed to work out that the upper saucer section is 90.2 meters wide. I measured the docking arm precisely. It's 230.45 meters from the very centre of the spindle to the outer edge, that is just one half of the station. Now it's hard to say exactly how long the other side is, because if you're using the docking arm - then the other two arms are at 60 degrees from it - making measuring it a pain ! However that said.. The 'subspace antennae' arm is around 200.2 meters from the core to the tip and the 'telescope' arm is 143 meters from centreline to tip.

To give you a more accurate figure (which will change because there's a few antennae details to be added to the bottom yet) on that render the model is 159 meters high.

So using the pixel dimensions of that render it's 320 meters - but I am not sure if I set that for a 1/1 aspect ratio.... But as I said it's not it's widest possible size... Ok using Photoshop again and the top down render.... the widest it can be is 373 meters (not counting possible additions of docking gantries in the future)
    Ta Muchly