Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acquiring Water in Minas Tirith

By a very freaky coincidence, the Discovery Channel is currently airing a program called The Seven Wonders of Rome, and the aqueducts are #5. There is like an 8-minute segment on how the Romans build an aqueduct network, actually going inside some of them. But they even mention good ole Frontinus, whom I mentioned previously. However, I have subsequently learned that Frontinus was a former proconul when put in charge of the water supply, not a quaestor or aedile.
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

The part of Roman Aquaduct engineering that has always fascinated me is that they had to actually go through mountains in places. I know the Romans were excellent engineers, but roads and buildings are one thing, to start digging on both sides of a mountain and to be able to meet up in the middle and still having the necessary incline...using ancient tools and surveying techniques just makes me say...WOW!

Watertown, WI (between Madison and Milwaukee), USA
    I saw that Seven Wonders of Rome on Sat.
    Coincidence, indeed.
    In the hierarchy of living organisms, it's snakes all the way down.

Originally posted by Phantom
    The part of Roman Aquaduct engineering that has always fascinated me is that they had to actually go through mountains in places. I know the Romans were excellent engineers, but roads and buildings are one thing, to start digging on both sides of a mountain and to be able to meet up in the middle and still having the necessary incline...using ancient tools and surveying techniques just makes me say...WOW!
    Then I think you'd really enjoy this Discovery Channel program. They actually demonstrate how this was accomplished, by digging evenly paced vertical shafts down into the hill/mountain and using them like plum-lines to make sure the level passges sync up. Very impressive.
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

Originally posted by Scottomir
    Then I think you'd really enjoy this Discovery Channel program. They actually demonstrate how this was accomplished, by digging evenly paced vertical shafts down into the hill/mountain and using them like plum-lines to make sure the level passges sync up. Very impressive.
    Yeah, I know I caught most of the show. Not overly interested in Gladiators, but I did enjoy the rest of "Rome Week" on Discovery, particularly the "Who Killed Caeser."

Watertown, WI (between Madison and Milwaukee), USA
    Yeah, I saw most of those shows. Liked them all alot.

Gotta love the Discovery Channel!

Reptile
    In the hierarchy of living organisms, it's snakes all the way down.