Thread: New ideas for Trek

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA

New ideas for Trek

A guy on the M&M boards posted a thread about how you'd change Star trek if you got the chance. I was running my mouth about it, and he put me to the test. So I decided to share. Aslan found the post and asked me to bring it over here, so here goes.

"In my analysis of trekkies/trekkers I have found what appears to be two main schools of thought: the "Touchy-Feelies" and the "War-Mongers". The Touchy-Feelies are the ones who generally think that the future in which Trek exists must be presented as entirely rosy, with no hint of the savagery and conflict of the present; that Star Trek should always show the best of man and the goodness he strives to attain. The War-Mongers are the ones who prefer to see the more visceral side of Trek; they like to see the conflicts and the arguments and the sneaky bastich aliens. They identify more with Starfleet than they do with the Federation as such...and they like to see things get blow'd up good.

usually you can tell the difference by who likes or dislikes DS-9. I have seen too many arguments spawned over this dichotmy. Of course, i am simplifying things for the purposes of humor (a difficult concept). But in general, from what I have observed, there is a lot of truth to these two stereotypes. I mention them merely to serve as a backdrop for my next statement:

I do not think that my ideas for Trek will be very popular with those who wish to see Trek and the Federation presented in the best possible light. Of course, the reality is that Trek cannot be all things to all people, so here goes.

I see Trek as a direct progression of storylines, leading from TOS to (now, Enterprise goes first, technically) the TNG era, which includes DS-9 and Voyager simultaneously, or at least overlapping. The people and agencies and philosophies evolve. As a character grows and changes during a series, so to, in my mind, will the Federation and Starfleet.

But as with characters, there are setbacks. I'm sort of a "war-Monger" because I like ship-to-ship battles, and flashy SFX...and I liked DS-9. It showed us how this beneficent organization and society deals with war. Yeah, I like seeing Worf slash Jem-Hadar warriors from stem to stern, but there is also a depth of story that war explores. What happens when war strikes the perfect society? When it forces the highly evolved to become reduced to the savage common denominator? Since War is a contemporary issue, and Trek has always dealt with contemporary issues as metaphor, I think it is not just fair game, but about damn time.

But since the Dominion War is over, we have another arena to explore; what society becomes in the wake of a devastating war. Americans are dealing with something like this, in the wake of 9/11. We've become paranoid, willing to surrender certain freedoms for safety...And I think Trek can deal with this too, as metaphor, in the wake of the Dominion War.

Were i to write a new Star Trek show (preferably a miniseries event), I would like to showcase a federation/Starfleet that has evolved, or more appropriately, de-evolved into something scarred by the conflicts of the 24th century.

While the Dominion was defeated, it was not through force of arms; not a decisive victory. They remain an edgy unknown quantity. The Cardassian Alliance is shattered, creating a massive refugee population strewn across space...already taxed by the bajoran forced-diaspora that ended where DS-9 essentially begins. You have a tenous Romulan-federation Alliance perhaps significantly strained by the events of Nemesis. And you have a Klingon Empire shattered by internal conflicts at the very top, led by a commoner. To be sure, Martok is a hero and a noble warrior, but he's not of any sort of high birth, and the Council can be trusted less and less. It seems a matter of time before the Klingon Empire factionalizes into various, squabbling warlord states as suggested in the possible future shown in Voyager's final episode. And then, of course, there is the ever-present paranoia which the threat of the Borg presents.

In other words, a very dangerous political morass. A federation taxed to and beyond her limit. A Starfleet whose primary mission may become so confused that peaceful exploration may well take a back seat to peace-keeping.

There is also the idea that in the future of trek, around the 30th century or so, the federation becomes a bit more brutal with its fleet of time-travel capable vessels. With crews willing to ignore any prime directives to get the job done. (maybe the idea of the temporal Cold War could play into this from Enterprise) No future is, of course, written in stone, but I'd like to explore the intermediate setting, the in-between the "now" and the "then"

I would advance the TNG timeline by about twenty years or so, bringing it in line with Janeway's future in the final episode of Voyager, where the grown-up daughter of Tom and Belanna Paris, Miral, is an agent working for the Admiral. The main difference would be that Voyager arrived home as it did in the final episode, through a transwarp conduit pursued by a Borg Sphere.

So, you'd have this boost of paranoia, accompanied by a sudden boost of futuristic technology (reactive shielding, multi-phasic torpedoes, etc), and severe stress on the temporal fabric.

This is the basic backdrop. I would also like to bring in the Iconians, since they had a minor re-appearance (well, their doorways did) in DS-9. And give them a major, but mysterious new role in the affairs of the galaxy. I am aware there was a maxi-series in the novels dealing with the Doorways, but I think that it was poorly done. And in any event, the T'Konn empire could easily be substituted.

The cast would exist on a new Starship, a highly modern design, but only slightly larger than Voyager...maybe a refit of the Intrepid class. But unlike TNG era Starships, this one looks subtly dangerous, mirroring the new steel resting beneath the surface of Starfleet and the federation. The crew, however, are still idealists, striving for the best that they can reach. but their ideals are often at odds with an upper echelon that, more and more, can no longer be trusted to do what is morally right. We saw these trends beginning with the unthinkable conspiracy in Undiscovered Country, and in the existence of Section 31, as well as Ro Laren's introduction and Insurrection's odd plotline.

There are certain familiar elements I'd like to play around with;

I had a thought for an android character, whose designs were based on Data's daughter, Lal. Perfected, of course, since it's twenty years into the future. But two things. The new Lal would be the sex-pot of the show, and androids would be a part of every crew. Also, in keeping with the prejudice against artificials like Holograms, androids would be legally ruled as "property of Starfleet" given neither actual rank nor a real choice in their programmed loayalty to the Fleet and the mission of the Federation. The new Lal would also have a full range of emotions...but not entirely human ones. Androids are "raised" in scientific enclaves, almost like orphanages. So her "childhood memories" and interactions are all with other Androids, each with fairly distinct mechanical, as opposed to human/organic personalities.

Instead of a ship's counselor, there would be a Federation Advisor, there to consult on the specifics of Federation policy. Someone to take the same basic role as a Deanna Troi, but not so much with the touchy-feeliness. This would be another female, half alien. My thought was openly half-romulan, half human, and not a member of Starfleet. She would be another hottie, but more along the lines of Belanna than Seven of Nine. meaning, she's hot, but that's not her claim to fame on the crew.

And I would like to have a genetically enhanced human, openly so, as a member of the cast. Due to the paranoia of the Fleet and the Fed in general, the legal ban against them has been reluctantly lifted (because these folks are just damned useful in a scrap).

Everyone else would be normal as far as Trek goes; humans, Vulcans, so forth. But there may be occassional contradictions to what we have seen as traditional roles in Trek. maybe a minor character on the crew is a vulcan who embraces his or her emotions, but from a purely philosphical standpoint (like those jokers in that Enterprise ep). Maybe there is a sedate, reserved bajoran on the crew, an old veteran, perhaps.

Maybe a new warp technology comes into play, and the ship is sort of an operational testbed for it, allowing them to tackle stories in any quadrant in a relatively short amount of time.

If this were an ongoing, 5 to 7 year series, this would be the starting gate for a variety of stories that all carry some edge previously unknown or underdeveloped in Trek. The blatantly ignored rights of the Android; the open prejudice against the genetically enhanced crewmember; potential terrorist threats perpetrated by dissatisfied Cardie refugees; crafty Klingon plots by individual warlords seeking to gain whatever edge they can...that sort of thing. And then, there is the Dominion, waiting to see what they will become. Waiting to evolve. And even Species 84-whatsis could make an appearance, potentially as an ally, but mistrusted in the extreme by the Fed and the Fleet.

If this were part of a miniseries idea, I'd jump right into the Iconian/T'Konn empire storyline, with a prologue cameo from Patrick Stewart, now retired from active service, spending his years on archeaological digs. They uncover a new Doorway, or perhaps a new Portal, and the Iconians/T'Konn re-emerge as a power into the Alpha Quadrant. They would serve as both a nemesis, and a caretaker at the same time, overseeing the disarray the younger races have fallen into. Perhaps, they provide the crew with a challenge to overcome or face obliteration. perhaps their goal is more sinister and cosmic in nature.

In any event, the over-all theme would tend towards a darker, harsher reality, while the main characters struggle to keep their future bright and noble, doing what Trek heroes always have done. I come from a school of thought which says "conflict drives character", and I firmly believe it. So these characters would not be nearly so placid and stiff as we have seen the franchise characters previously written. because of the nature of their time period, they would be pushed to their emotional and moral limits, and they would have to deal with the consequences. But not everything would be about darkness and conflict. family is an important trademark of trek and would be an element in this iteration as well.

it would be like...life...only with ship-to-ship combat..."

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Strict31

Congratulations on a very well reasoned and exciting premise.

Now, anyone got Rick Berman's email address?

Renny

Smile

Just a few comments......

:-)

"While the Dominion was defeated, it was not through force of arms; not a decisive victory. They remain an edgy unknown quantity. The Cardassian Alliance is shattered, creating a massive refugee population strewn across space...already taxed by the bajoran forced-diaspora that ended where DS-9 essentially begins. You have a tenous Romulan-federation Alliance perhaps significantly strained by the events of Nemesis. And you have a Klingon Empire shattered by internal conflicts at the very top, led by a commoner. To be sure, Martok is a hero and a noble warrior, but he's not of any sort of high birth, and the Council can be trusted less and less. It seems a matter of time before the Klingon Empire factionalizes into various, squabbling warlord states as suggested in the possible future shown in Voyager's final episode. And then, of course, there is the ever-present paranoia which the threat of the Borg presents."

This I like....I was toying with running a series set just after the dominion war and had not quite thought my way all the way through the politics......one set of ideas to steal and tinker with!

" The new Lal would be the sex-pot of the show, and androids would be a part of every crew. Also, in keeping with the prejudice against artificials like Holograms, androids would be legally ruled as "property of Starfleet" given neither actual rank nor a real choice in their programmed loayalty to the Fleet and the mission of the Federation."

I'm not sure this would work. Androids have been ruled to have sentient rights. I can't remember the TNG episode, but there was a ruling when Picard successfully defended Data, and ensured that Androids (and for that matter, holograms or any other self-aware construct) have full sentient rights. I know Starfleet would view the Androids as property as they made them, but there is a strong argument that federation citizens are 'made' by the federation, in a way! I don't think the lack of Android rights would be a feasible plotline as there is law to back the claim. Note that Androids has a capital letter, as in the eyes of the law, they are a sentient race.

"Instead of a ship's counselor, there would be a Federation Advisor, there to consult on the specifics of Federation policy. "

Oooh.....ships political officer! Can we say 'Hunt For Red October'? :-)

"Everyone else would be normal as far as Trek goes; humans, Vulcans, so forth. But there may be occassional contradictions to what we have seen as traditional roles in Trek. maybe a minor character on the crew is a vulcan who embraces his or her emotions, but from a purely philosphical standpoint (like those jokers in that Enterprise ep). Maybe there is a sedate, reserved bajoran on the crew, an old veteran, perhaps."

Hmmmm.........I am one for bucking the racial stereotypes for the sake of a good story, but there should be a valid reason. I once had a vulcan-human officer who was emotional, having been brought up on Earth, and not having the benefits of vulcan tutelage. He did have a few problems, as he had a very Vulcan mind and body (in the context of the template he had Vulcan Fitness, Intelligence and Psi, and human Co-ord and Pre) and thus was subject to Pon-Farr, and that got a bit messy. Also, the lack of Psi training left his mind more open than other vulcans and subject to the occasional telepathic probe/attack/vision from my oh-so happy GM. He ended up learning from the resident Betazoid Medic on board, as they embrace emotion. Vulcan training probably would have been to restraining for the character. The point is, there can only be one 'trend-bucker' really, otherwise it becomes too commonplace (IMHO). Sorry for preaching! LOL

I think the best episodes of DS-9 (my fave series, after series one got out of the way, and the story arc really got moving) were those that dealt with the war, but, not only because of the SFX but because it dealt with the realities of war. You could see the human cost in lives, scarred psyches etc. Those eps and the intrigue based ones. I have always been a sucker for political intrigue in a game. Looking at the paragraph I first quoted, I can feel the creative juices flowing....

Sorry to waffle on, but I liked the general ideas in this thread, and felt the need to add my tu'pence worth.

Cheers!

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Originally posted by Tas II
    [B]Just a few comments......

:-)

I'm not sure this would work. Androids have been ruled to have sentient rights. I can't remember the TNG episode, but there was a ruling when Picard successfully defended Data, and ensured that Androids (and for that matter, holograms or any other self-aware construct) have full sentient rights. I know Starfleet would view the Androids as property as they made them, but there is a strong argument that federation citizens are 'made' by the federation, in a way! I don't think the lack of Android rights would be a feasible plotline as there is law to back the claim. Note that Androids has a capital letter, as in the eyes of the law, they are a sentient race.
    I may be recalling the episode incorrectly, but I thought they ruled that Data classified as a sentient being, not all Androids in general. Data was declared to be unique. The inference was that ideally, other androids or artificial lifeforms would be judged on a case-by-case basis. But even if I'm remembering it wrong, the reason I had the idea was because the Federation seemed more than willing to ignore Data's rights to actually reproduce himself in the form of his daughter, Lal.

The whole point is that, in this time period, the Fed is even more willing to sacrifice its ethics and morals in order to accomplish an important enough goal. Whereas in the TNG time period, "the ends do not justify the means", such is no longer always the case in this setting. It's like, sacrifice of rights is a slow and seductive thing. A slippery slope. It doesn't happen immediately or all at once. But one day, men awaken from their complacency and realize the rights they'd once held true no longer exist. And in this Trek idea, the characters would have to deal with that problem.

Oooh.....ships political officer! Can we say 'Hunt For Red October'? :-)
    That's really where the idea came from, to be honest.

Hmmmm.........I am one for bucking the racial stereotypes for the sake of a good story, but there should be a valid reason. I once had a vulcan-human officer who was emotional, having been brought up on Earth, and not having the benefits of vulcan tutelage. He did have a few problems, as he had a very Vulcan mind and body (in the context of the template he had Vulcan Fitness, Intelligence and Psi, and human Co-ord and Pre) and thus was subject to Pon-Farr, and that got a bit messy. Also, the lack of Psi training left his mind more open than other vulcans and subject to the occasional telepathic probe/attack/vision from my oh-so happy GM. He ended up learning from the resident Betazoid Medic on board, as they embrace emotion. Vulcan training probably would have been to restraining for the character. The point is, there can only be one 'trend-bucker' really, otherwise it becomes too commonplace (IMHO). Sorry for preaching! LOL
    Dramatically speaking, I totally agree. But the reason I brought it up, even only in passing (since I had no concrete ideas on the matter specifically) was because the "trend-buckers" of the TNG era shows have become trends. And this sorta fits with what we've seen in the shows. remember when Riker was led to imagine there was a Ferengi helmsen on the Enterprise by that lonely bug-boy that wanted him as a "dad"? Then in DS9, we see Ensign Nog. Ferengi who have evolved to cherish something beyond just the next bar of latinum? Rom and Nog both. A Romulan Federation alliance? In Nemesis we see Dina Meyer willing to have a drink with Picard and support him in battle. On their own, these instances are not descriptive of new trends: that is to say, we might never see a Romulan helmsman on a TNG era Bridge. But they set the stage for new trends. In the future, given what we have seen, is it hard to believe a Romulan officer might participate in an Officer Exchange program with Starfleet? And further into the future is it hard to believe that a Romulan might then, enlist in Starfleet? In the distant far-flung future, when the Brog and the federation have mutally assimilated each other's cultural and biological strengths, we might see cubes with ultra-warp nacelles or something bizarre like that...

But reading about your character made me chuckle because I played a very similar half-vulcan officer! And she had a strong reliance on a Betazoid! While it may be true that great minds think alike, this could also be an indication that, for the fans of trek, the "trend-buckers" have become the trend. I wonder how many other similar characters have been made and played, y'know what I mean?

Strictly Speaking

Star Trek: The Musical?

Bill Shatner can play all the parts...except for the females: Sharon Stone maybe?
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Me again...!

I think the whole Lal thing was that the point was in mid-argument when Lal had a catastrophic failure in her postitronic matrix (or somesuch technobabble), The point is that it had not been settled. All it would need is for a single person to point out that Data had rights, and the whole thing starts to fall apart. Where does one draw the line? Which Androids have rights, and which dont? I f all Andorids are of the 'Data-type' then they are a race per se? Picard pointed out that Data was a race, albeit of one individual. So, other Soong-type Androids appear, so what, aside from its original designer, is the difference?

Would Data want to sue for infringement of copyright? :-)

"That's really where the idea came from, to be honest."

No-one else noticed! Honestly! :-)
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Tas, the android thing is an interesting subject.

We've seen a lot of androids and artificial intelligences on the various shows. And they are not all created equal. The decision to consider Data a lifeform with rights and all largely depended on Picard's representation of him. Lucky that he had such an eloquent speaker too.

In lal's case, the Admiral's personal agenda, whatever it was, stood as an obstacle to Data's (and lal's) rights. Before he watched Data try and save Lal, I don't think any argument would have convinced him, because he was interested in getting what he wanted. Haftel was prepared to order Data to surrender Lal primarily because of the singular value of a new Soong Android. If a single photon torpedo got through the shields of the 1701-D, the only two functional Soong androids in the Fed would be lost. His decision to ignore Data's rights was mitigated by the unique demands of the situation.

Similarly, I have theorized that the unique demands of a post war Trek could cause the Fed to sublimate the need to recognize sentient androids to the value of placing an nigh indestructible person on board every starship. it is a morally/ethically flawed decision, but the Fed of this time is flawed. it is scared, it is paranoid.

In Undiscovered Country, a similar climate of paranoia caused certain members of Starfleet to behave in immoral and unethical ways. Same again in Insurrection. Same again in the epi that introduced Ro. Same again in the epi in inwhich Sisko tricks the Romulans into and alliance. And let's not even mention Section 31 (they might be listening)...

Let's look at the holograms. Now, admittedly, I believe there was a great deal of inconsistent writing involving holograms in Voyager. It makes absolutely no frigging sense to use holograms to mine dilithium (or whatever they were mining). At least, not with the technology of Trek. I mean, why go to the bother of stringing up an emitter network that could be easily misaligned by seismic shiftings or cave-ins when you could just roll an assembly-line type of machine in and do it? Since we have automatons today working on assembly lines and flying recon missions in Afghanistan and visiting Mars, it's not much of a stretch to imagine that slightly more independant versions of current and simple tech exist to handle the dangerous labor in the 24th century.

But some writer thought it made sense and would be cool to have holograms doing it, so let's roll with that. Obviously Starfleet/The Fed is still at least sensitive to the issue of sentient devices, as shown by the exo-comps. But they don't really know how to handle them.

Those darned bio-neural gel pak processors were just a load of trouble.

Even though Zimmerman probably would have denied it, his design for holograms contained either built-in seeds of sentience, or allowed them to gain true sentience over time. Even the EMH on 1701-E was clever enough to improvise when the Borg were knocking on the door.

The Fed didn't even want to admit that the Doctor on Voyager was sentient. I mean, come on, NWN's engine is clever, but the AI isn't gonna sit down and write a novel or develop a crush on the stacked blonde cyborg honey...

If the Fed waffles about the Doctor's obvious sentience, for no apparent reason other than to be morally vague for the plotline, then it's conceivable that they'd have similar issues with a new society of soong-type androids who possess and incredible value to the Fed's new mission.

But that's just my take on the situation. It's not consistent with the morality of the fed and Starfleet, but in my setting, their morality really isn't intended to be consistent. I guess, at this point, you could say the Fed is kinda broken, and they need the heroes of the show to fix them...

Strictly Speaking

I had a thought for an android character, whose designs were based on Data's daughter, Lal. Perfected, of course, since it's twenty years into the future. But two things. The new Lal would be the sex-pot of the show, and androids would be a part of every crew. Also, in keeping with the prejudice against artificials like Holograms, androids would be legally ruled as "property of Starfleet" given neither actual rank nor a real choice in their programmed loayalty to the Fleet and the mission of the Federation. The new Lal would also have a full range of emotions...but not entirely human ones. Androids are "raised" in scientific enclaves, almost like orphanages. So her "childhood memories" and interactions are all with other Androids, each with fairly distinct mechanical, as opposed to human/organic personalities.
    I like this idea. I may have to steal.... I mean... borrow this idea for my RPG-ing series.

The only change I would make... For an Android to serve on a ship, it must be programed to Federation standards. Or, more importantly, Federation "STATE" morals and ideals. This programing can be locked in. All androids must fit these standards or it won't be assigned to a ship.

This could make the android character more of a prop than an actual character. But I think there are certain opportunities for conflict then.

Glad to see you finally made it over here Strict

Excellent thread.

Qerlin: He knows Heather Locklear...

Originally posted by SuperDanny
    I like this idea. I may have to steal.... I mean... borrow this idea for my RPG-ing series.

The only change I would make... For an Android to serve on a ship, it must be programed to Federation standards. Or, more importantly, Federation "STATE" morals and ideals. This programing can be locked in. All androids must fit these standards or it won't be assigned to a ship.

This could make the android character more of a prop than an actual character. But I think there are certain opportunities for conflict then.
    *nods*

And maybe the android character could gain access to a chip or something, something not approved by the Fed, and inserts it, leading to all sorts of Data-inspired antics...

I was thinking about maybe writing a story based on this idea. Thinking about it more and more, actually...

Strictly Speaking

So basically there would be a black market in illeagal emotion chips? Interesting idea. Makes for the question of sentience.

Since they are programmed to react and behave a certain way, are they a certain way?

Originally posted by AslanC
    So basically there would be a black market in illeagal emotion chips? Interesting idea. Makes for the question of sentience.

Since they are programmed to react and behave a certain way, are they a certain way?
    You guys are coming up with stuff I certainly never thought of, which is cool. That would be an interesting twist, I think. I wish I understood or liked the rules well enough to run this as a campaign...

Lal v2.0 is a character I'd like more and more to explore, now. mainly because of her android emotions. I don't know if I made it clear or not, but her emotions are not necessarily human emotions...in the same way that Worf's emotions were Klingon, not human. He still felt anger and happiness and the like, yes. But all from a decidedly non human frame of mind. As such, his emotions had a nonhuman flavor to them, if you get my drift. This might be more easily described as cultural differences rather than emotions, I guess. But we are products of our environment as well as our own natures.

Data was defined by his desire to be human. To be as much like a human as was possible for him. But even when he gained emotions, they were not forged and shaped in the same way as the average human. he gained them basically on the spot. As humans who are born and grow up, we are molded by our environment, by our parents and friends, and by our specific biological needs. For example...because we are so fragile, we have fear. fear of death, fear of injury. fear of getting burned or cut or falling...what-have-you.

What sort of things would shape an android's fear?

Fear of being shut down by the press of a button? Fear of reprogramming? System restore? If an Android uplinks to the 24th century version of the internet to check his email, does he fear opening up an unfamiliar attachment? Does he fear executable programs or vicious scrip-kiddies? Anomalous lines of code? EM fields?

What would shape and Android's love?

Unregulated file sharing? a good mechanic?

I may sound kinda geeky right now, but these are interesting concepts to explore. And most people I know won't allow me to blather on about them...

Strictly Speaking

First of all, Strict31's ideas are really cool. Alot better than some of the idea's tossed around before Ent. premeired.

Now for a little shareing:
    Back when I played with my various action figures, in a universe based loosely on SW, we (my bro and I) developed Androids as a developing race. However, while many civillized worlds recognised that androids were sentient entities, and many planets stopped producing them. This meant that this race would become extinct as time went on. It also meant that androids had no ability to procreate, except if they took over a robotics factory.

One of our heros changed this by giving the androids the ability to give 'birth': Each android had blueprints for its construction encoded in its programing. If it chose to 'mate' with another android, then they would merge their programing, and another program would randomly select features from the 'parents', just like organic reproduction.

This new program would then be fed into a 'womb', which was a miniture factory to build the newly designed android.

It kept the peace between organics and mecahnicals for years.