Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question regarding Palantiri

Originally posted by ReptileJK
    Ahhhh....Good ol' MERP. Many can say what they will about it, but that game provided us with hours of enjoyment in high school and college (plus, at least ICE could get product on the shelves ).

I've got just about every MERP book that I wanted over the years through eBay. Never was able to get Rider of Rohan, The Northern Wastes, or Minas Tirith.

I do have The Grey Mountains and Lorien, which are both classics, in my mind.

Reptile
    PS, the young Denethor idea is interesting. Who was making the attempt on his life?
    Yes, MERP was good, if for no other reason than that the quality was consistent, the material was generally thematically appropriate, and it left a lot of detail for the GM to come up with so that each game was still different from anyone else's.

I like Riders as well as Minas Tirith, Northern Wastes was not bad but too speculative to be taken very seriously IMO. Minas Tirith introduced a lot of details that can upset one's own imagined impressions of the city based on Tolkien's works, but was otherwise nice.

I don't recall if I have Grey Mountains - most of what I have is stuff I downloaded years after ICE lost their licence. Lorien, however, was well written.

The Denethor plot was, IIRC, a conspiracy involving Umbarean spies who wanted to destabilise the Stewardship by eliminating the son of the present steward, Ecthelion. It was a case of an opportunity that was irresistible, because the spies discovered a young wife was cheating on her husband. This husband was captain of the guard, and as such was privy to Denethor's plans and movement. She was blackmailed by the spies into prodding her husband for information about Denethor, which the spies tried to exploit.

Fortunately the PC's were approached by the serving-girl of the wife who implored them for their total discretion and assistance. Not bad - they got to find out about the spies, stop the assassination, yet were sworn not to reveal the reason - which meant no credit could be taken, nor could they really warn anyone of what had happened and could happen again.

Fire at Will!

Zzzzaaap!

Riker's Dead, Sir!

Watertown, WI (between Madison and Milwaukee), USA
    Nicely laid out.

So, you have the Minas Tirith module? Maybe you could answer a question I posed on another thread about water acquisition in the city?

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=9930

Thanks

Reptile
    PS. The Grey Mountains is excellent if you are interested in Dwarves and Dragons. That comprises the majority of the book. Seeing that I love both, it's natural that it's probably my favorite of the later modules.
    In the hierarchy of living organisms, it's snakes all the way down.

Nicely laid out.

So, you have the Minas Tirith module? Maybe you could answer a question I posed on another thread about water acquisition in the city?

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=9930

Thanks

Reptile
    PS. The Grey Mountains is excellent if you are interested in Dwarves and Dragons. That comprises the majority of the book. Seeing that I love both, it's natural that it's probably my favorite of the later modules.

1)I'll take a look when I get home - I haven't the module in front of me right now.
    2)I'll take a look when I get home - Not sure if I have Grey Mountains, but you've piqued my curiosity.

Fire at Will!

Zzzzaaap!

Riker's Dead, Sir!

Nicely laid out.

OK, I looked it up. The city is fed by 3 aqueducts, fed by a vale to the southwest of the city. Snowmelt and rainwater feed a giant reservoir that then runs via the aqueducts to the city. All three are buried for almost their full length. They distribute water to underground cisterns which then feed water to pipes going to individual buildings.
    Fire at Will!

Zzzzaaap!

Riker's Dead, Sir!

Watertown, WI (between Madison and Milwaukee), USA
    Excellent! Thanks!
    In the hierarchy of living organisms, it's snakes all the way down.