Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting tidbid from decipher forums

Interesting tidbid from decipher forums

Yep the Klingon book is a coming. Looks like Decipher is getting stuff organized from the LA transfer, and getting projects back on (sic) schedule. I just got confirmation of final acceptance of my artwork for the book.
    http://calder.decipher.com/cgi-bin/msgbd?st-rpg-discuss$11961-10901$2

Doesn't explain the 2-3 books before Klingon's though.
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

Yes, it certainly does look interesting...however, Decipher has such a litany of bung-ups to its credit by this point that I am loathe to place any faith in company schedules - let alone the word of a contributing artist - before the book hits the shelves.

I am quite certain that this Dave fellow means what he says, but company policy, formulated behind closed doors, is another matter entirely. Again, we're just going to have to sit tight and twiddle our thumbs until either the book appears, or the announcement comes that the line is effectively cancelled.

I think Decipher can do it if they seriously want to get it done. Look at Hero Games. Up until Steve Long and his partners (DOJ) bought the company they released a worse schedule then anyone in the industry (or at least thats how it seemed).

that would be great if they just flood us with the four books within just a few months time, but I agree with D.S. McBride, until I hear something from Decipher, I will allow myself to raise my hopes just a little.
    live long and prosper

NOT at $30-40US a book it wouldn't! Some of us do have bills and a budget to maintain!

Originally posted by Shoshuro
    NOT at $30-40US a book it wouldn't! Some of us do have bills and a budget to maintain!
    Budget? Budgeting be damned, man!

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Considering that I paid for these books about 7 months ago, yeah, I want them to flood the market with the four books! Bills? You don't think I have bills? How bout 200 bucks a week for child care, two new car payments, a house payment, and the assorted phone, gas, and electric. Some of us might apply ourselves more to get where we are. So I can afford a few books at a time. Get off your soap box
    live long and prosper

Unhappy

I am just kidding Shoshuro. Of course I have a budget. My wife was none to happy to learn that I pre paid for these months ago. I would not be able to drop 200 bucks for four books either. I just want my books
    live long and prosper

I read this too, but who posted it? It wasn't one of the guys in green so how reliable can it be?

Originally posted by Karg
    I read this too, but who posted it? It wasn't one of the guys in green so how reliable can it be?
    Er..that would be Dave Pipgrass, the guy who did the artwork for "Starships" and who's art is going to be appearing in the Klingon Book....

He got paid = books coming out?
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Actually, he didn't say he got paid ... only that "final acceptance" was confirmed.

Some companies don't pay until the book actually sees print and begins generating revenue.

But in Decipher's case, they will probably pay the artists to avoid lawsuits; I'm sure they plan to continue in the card business, and that means they'd exist as a corporate entity. Creditors (including contractors) could go after them if they weren't paid.

In short, I don't really think this statement says much, one way or the other, about the liklihood of books coming out.

Originally posted by Fesarius
    Some companies don't pay until the book actually sees print and begins generating revenue.
    Agreed. Someone - I think it was querlin - in the General Chat forum stated in the "Decipher RPG Transferred" sticky that at least the Decipher writers got paid for their unreleased work; he was waiting for a number of others to fulfill a "pay on publication" agreement for a number of outstanding books.

I get the impression, both from Matt Colville's comments in the RPG.net thread and statements made here, that Decipher was quite generous and forthright with its employees...at least while they were actually employed. Decipher probably saw it as a win-win situation: if the work is published, the artist/writer doesn't have to wait an ungodly period before that life-saving cheque comes in, and if it isn't - hey, the artist/writer still gets paid, they keep a good industry rep, and the company writes it off as a tax loss.

Originally posted by InfinityDoctor
    Er..that would be Dave Pipgrass, the guy who did the artwork for "Starships" and who's art is going to be appearing in the Klingon Book....
    Ah OK, did not know that