Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some Q Adventure Ideas

Need some Q Adventure Ideas

I've run quite a few Klingon war stories and such and need a Q inspired break from the war, Any ideas welcome

Setting, Galaxy class ship USS Yorktown

Time: DS9 season 4

Thanks guys

"Q" puts them in a 1950 B sci fi moive

Great idea - one I've been considering sprining on my characters (although not as a Q ploy). Green Ronin Publishing puts out a game called Spaceship Zero, which is set in just such a universe. They have a series of free .PDF files on their site ( http://www.greenronin.com/cgi-bin/pr...gi?prodid=1010 ), including a character guide and a technical manual, both of which can be used as background for your game.

Here's an Idea. If she got together with Q by that time, just have Female Q appear, and attempt to see what these people are like under "normal" circumstantces.

She just hangs around, and annoys everybody. E

If the characters say something stupid, then have the original Q pop in, and say, "good idea..." and do it.

Just prod the players, until they dig themselves into a hole. Then Q hands them a shovel...

Example. Two characters argue. Q switches their bodies.

Example: Guy plays on the holodeck. Q turns off the safeties.

Also, bring in little q, a toddler who can do ANYTHING he wants. Actual age seems to vary, since Qs don't exist in linear time.

Here's a fun thing. Have somebody about to do something important, and Female Q watch. Then, another Female Q appears, hands her a Video Camcorder, and says, "I forgot this, so I went back in time to remind myself. You wouldn't want to miss this..." (Use this if anybody gets a critical failure on ANYTHING.)

Well why not have Q throw them back in the Klingon past. You mentioned Klingon War stories; you could have them be playing important parts in the Klingon struggle for independence or during the Romulan/Klingon Alliance or War.

You could have them interact with ancestors of the people they have confronted (and may have killed). You could tap that emotional side of the players and show that even their enemies have families and soft spots.

Q does this in order to show how their actions affect real people. Then have him screw around with them and have another Q come by and take the first Q away. Of course, leaving the crew stranded in the past with the Klingons as they embark on glorious quests of conquest and destruction!
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Hmm. Have a Q "join the crew". A Q shows up and announces that he/she wants to "join" the Federation and Starfleet. To make things interesting, Q vows not to use any abilities that cannot be duplicated by current Federation technology.
    IE: Points finger and goes "zzzzzzz" and a phaser beam comes out. Transports via a shimmering transporter effect instead of the snap the fingers and poof in a flash of light Q style. Will only provide medical assistance consistent with med kit abilities.

Regardless of how the Captain feels, how do you force a Q off of your ship if it doesn't want to leave? Especially when the Q in question is basically "behaving" himself?

See how long the crew can resist the temptation to beg the Q to "just this once" use full powers to "make the nasty Romulan dreadnaught go away" or bring a dead crewman back to life or some such. When the inevitable happens, which it more likely than not will, the DeLancy Q shows up and says, "See! I told you they couldn't resist!" and the two Q's exchange some sort of wager. (oh, maybe a star system or two. Godhood on a choosen backwater planet. Or just a complete set of "Captains of Starfleet" holographic trading cards.)
    If the crew does succumb and beg their Q for super-help, have Picard or Admiral Janeway give them a thorough chewing out for "reinforcing the Continuum's worst impressions of humanity!"

All good so far! I'm starting to have that Evil GM Feeling

Another one that could fit for the Evil Game Master Group thread... and I intended to play some day on my players (just to have an occasion of using my Way of D'Era books ).

Have the players being sent on a mission that will confront them with Romulans (or Cardassians). Say for instance, a diplomatic mission with the control of a planet at stake, or even a show of force, or maybe an protection mission. Then, while on their way, have a Q appear... and switch them with the Romulan crew. Either they keep their whole memories and loyalties intact but there are a lot of "normal" crewmembers watching them (and the possible Tal Shiar spy), or they just keep a distant memory or their StarFleet characters and are supposed to act as loyal officers (that one demands more from the players).
    They could also be constantly switched from time to time between both crews (preferably when they're about to succeed in thwarting the other side's plans.

Another one, to be set during the Dominion war : have the players sent to secure an secret area where changeling spies are to be expected. Encourage them to be as paranoid as possible in preventing changelings infiltration. A parallel mission is to find a Dominion base in the same sector/planet/system. Then, when their protection system is fully operational and seems changeling proof enough... have a Q appear and turn them into changelings (their mastery of their shapeshifting abilities may vary, but they should be able to mimic their human shape without trouble). And now they have to escape their own protection system, while at the same time being granted extraordinary powers to complete their mission (of course, the Q can restore their solid status at any time, like at the end of the mission or at the worst possible time).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

I like the Q tourist idea, but...

I don't know, having two sessions totally erase, or having Q fix everything, is a LITTLE bit cheap.

Still...It is kidna funny.

The "cosmic reset button" is a little bit of a cheap shot. A trap that's easy to fall into is to allow NPCs to take on too important a role. I've played in a game where, basically, NPCs did all the work for one entire adventure. And, I'm sad to admit, I've run a game where that happened. And it's no fun for the players.

You can play a thing like this in a light-hearted way, if you're careful and you've got the right players. But not too often, and not for too long.

This is an idea I was planning to develop into a full adventure, but maybe you find it usefull.

Qirks

The PCs are testing a theory of dramatically boosting transporter range by connecting the technobabble phase blabla of two transporter several light years away. Q, knowing what will happen, will drop by and watch the PCs efforts. Due to radiation from a nearby star or toxic waste hauler, coupled with a flawed theory, it isn't a standard test container that is rematerialized on the transporter pad, but an unconscious Captain James T. Kirk. Accidentally the PCs transporter didn't connect to the one of the other ship, but with that of the USS Enterprise NCC 1701 over 100 ywars ago. Figuring out a way to bring Kirk back to the time and place he came from is easy, the problem is identifying the correct moment. Fortunately Q is willing to send the PCs back, from one possible moment to the next.
    The PCs will encounter the original cast, participate in missions we know from the show and will have to endure a lot of embarassment.

Originally posted by Ergi
    This is an idea I was planning to develop into a full adventure, but maybe you find it usefull.

Qirks...

Oh, now THIS has real potential... <eg>

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

The trick to using Q in an adventure is to use him as an adresary, rather than as a source of deus ex machinae. Like Mr. Mxyzptlk in the old 1950's Superman comics, he poses a riddle or problem for the PCs to solve. The actual problem he poses is merely a McGuffin - the actual conflict is PCs versus Q. Luckily, although Q is clever and extremely powerful, he's not really that smart.