Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Question. . .What are These Buttons For?

This is what my computer tells me
    Instead of a system recovery CD, the HP system recovery program uses a special recovery partition on the hard disk that stores an image of the original software. This space on the hard disk is not available for your use.

If you ever replace the hard drive, or somehow damage the data in the special recovery partition on the hard drive, you must contact HP Support.
    This 'recovery drive' is listed as 'D:' on the my computer screen. I don't understand what they mean my an 'image of the original software.' I assume they mean the softwear is actually copied to that drive. I just hope runing the recovery drive fixes the problem.

And now that I read that in quote on the post, I guess I couldn't have backed up those files to the recovery drive anyway. . .it says right there it ain't for my use.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Ahh right, it's what I thought it was.

Effectivelly what it is is a 'drive image' of your C drive as per a base install - as in when you install it it will format your C drive and you will lose EVERYTHING that is not backed up.

Rather than giving you an install disk which manually interogates your hardware for components and installs all of the software you want etc, it is basically like a big copy of a generic install that the manufacturers chose for you.

Effectivelly what it does is restore your computer to the poiint when it left the manufacturer - which is a slightly misleading thing - while it does 'restore' your computer to working order, it destroys your data in the process.

if you bought another motherboard, added a new graphics card etc, then none of that would work from the install, because it wasn't on the original machine!

So I recommend backing up everything you can, because it will destroy all of your data on the C drive.

If you wanted too the easiest method for backing stuff up is indeed to simply copy all of your data to another hard drive - and copy it all there !
    Ta Muchly

Thanks for the help everyone!

I ran the recovery drive tonight. It left all the programs I put on the computer (Zone Alarm, ICW, Desk Top News Alert, ect.) alone and they don't need to be reinstalled. As far as I can tell all it did was put a bunch of short cuts on my desk top. I kinda wonder what would have happened had I left some files on the computer rather than moving them to zip or CD.

I have yet to see if my CDs now burn correctly or not. After talking thirty minutes to run the recovery drive and then fourty-five minutes to restart the computer. . .I have had enough with computers for one night. I will have to wait untill morning to check out the system and see what I can remove and undo again.

One thing I do notice is I had not realized how specialized I had my system until I ran the recovery and then logged on to post this. I wonder if I will be able to get it back to the way it was before. I am now thinking I should have left well enough alone, as so far all that seems changed is I have to reset everything back to the way I like it.

Okay, this is odd. While trying to log off TrekRPGNet I get sent to a page that says "You do not have permission to access this page. Now what did I screw up? Anyone want to buy a computer really cheap?

I may not be back for a time. . .I got a feeling I won't be able to get the computer to work in the morning.
    Last edited by redwood973; 04-08-2004 at 10:48 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Okay, new problem.

Hay look at that. Been eight months since I had to ask you for help. I must be learning how to use this blasted thing.

Okay, problem with the QuattroPro 10 program. It locks up shortly after opening a certain file, and some formula results are replaced with, "Not yet, Bret." The Application Recovery Window pops up, and after going through it I get this box:

QPW.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x73e2bf55" referenced memory at "0x00000000." The memory could not be "read."

Click on OK to terminate the program.
    This is the second file to do this, it happened last week to another. I had to trash it and start over. I have run my Norton AntiVirus on the file which shows no virus (my Norton is current and up to date). Besides, I run Norton every Sunday morning checking the whole computer.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Norton isn't a particularly good virus-checker (better than McAfee, but that's damning with faint praise). You'll be better off switching to the free AVG antivirus software. Once a week is not sufficient for a virus scan. It should be done every single day, and the software should be configured in "shield" mode to protect at all times. I have AVG scan my entire computer every morning at 4am.
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 12-14-2004 at 06:04 PM.

I checked out AVG Antivirus. Ran it last night and the thing found 7 trojans [horses, not greeks or condoms ], so we'll see if the problem pops up again.

I now have it set to do a full system scan and checking for updates every morning. Maybe now I can prepare my monthly budget without having to start over each day.

Thanks Owen
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Hay look at this! Been seven years and eight months since I've needed help with this blasted computer.

So here's the bad news: Monday night my ten or eleven year old computer finally stopped working. Hit the power button and it doesn't turn on. Power is on, as the little green light in the back comes on when I unplug and replug power in. I have most of my files backed up on ZIP 250MB disks, but there are several files missing and what files are on these disks won't open on my new computer!

I know you can buy external hard drives to use as extra storage memory, but does anyone know is it possible to take my old hard drive with my ICON projects on it and turn it into an external hard drive for this new contraption I have?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Yeah, they make adapters/docks that let you do that. I've got one hooked up to this work computer even as we speak. Probably run you about 40 bucks or so.

The one I'm using right now is a few years old, so they might not make this particular model anymore, but it's from StarTech.com, and its model number is UNIDOCK2U.

Hope that helps.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Your local comp. repair shop should be able to do that for you. Probably have to buy a casing for it yourself, though.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I've done one of those myself, it's trivially easy to do if the case is a decent one, just a couple of screws and push fit connectors. Just put it in a USB2 enclosure, as it's probably the most stable/most compatible (I've had problems with Firewire, and USB3 / E-sata is not ubiquitous yet).

Good luck recovering your data!
    Ta Muchly

Thanks, guys.

I'm exploring the StarTech option.

Due to financial concerns I'd like to stay as cheap as possible; thus the do it myself, rather than the easy option of the local computer repair place. I assume that getting the StarTech.com model UNIDOCK2U for $76 would be cheaper than having my local computer repair place do it as I'm sure their "labor" or however they term it would knock the costs up into the low $100's.

After spending the money for the new computer I need to get by as cheap as possible in recovering my ICON files.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

I know some places will transfer your data for you. That might be a more inexpensive route as well. Or you could aslo try hooking up the old HD to your new comp.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Thanks for the help guys. With your help I went from having no clue on what to do to getting a drive enclosure from my local computer store for less than $55 and I was able to easily set it up myself avoiding the $25 fee the local store would have charged to do it for me.

Now the next problem. I have the old drive with the files on it, but I can't open them because the old computer used .qpw and .wpd for files which can't be opened on the blasted new computer. I've tried for some time now to find ways to convert them to the Microsoft Starter 2010 the new computer has, but every free converter I find the blasted computer won't open saying file is either corrupted or infected.

Getting to the point I just want to chuck the whole damn computer and enclosure out the window. From what I'm seeing on the enclosure drive all the old programs are still there in addition to the files, but for some reason I can't open the old files with the old programs on the enclosure drive. Long shot, but anyone have any suggestions?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Word should open the Wordperfect (.wpd) files. No idea what a .qpw file is, though.

Also, try downloading Open Office--it might be able to open it. It's also free.

Qpw extensions...it might be Quattro Pro. I think there might be a filter available for Open Office somewhere. If not, it might be possible to download a trial version somewhere, open it in that and then save it as an Excel file.
    "Guy, you have a last name."
    "Do I?! DO I?! For all you know, I'm 'Crewman Number Six'!"

My half-assed d20 Trek homebrew.