Thread: Fading Suns 2nd Edition

Fading Suns 2nd Edition

I've just picked up HDI's Fading Suns core book.Looks good and it is definetly has a rich background.I intend to run a short campaign when my Trek game goes on hiatus.Has anyone out there played the game or at least have a firm understanding of the rules?

I'll be running a game in barbarian space and need help with my "buying strategy" for supplements.I've opted for 2E over D20 because,well I don't like D20 all that much(works for D&D but I don't want to run a level-based game).I figured I would try for feedback here before poking around the FS jumpring or RPG net. The "passion Play",political intrigue,and the Inquisition are some of the themes I will be using.It will also be a somewhat bloody game, a definte departure from the Trek series that I narrate.

Lastly,if anyone can point me to the good Fading Suns websites I would be greatful.Any feedback on this cool-looking game would be appreciated.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

I'm a Fading Suns junkie. I own everything HDI has ever put out for the game.

No, seriously.

If you've got any questions, let me know. You're going to use the Victory Point system and not D20, right? Any idea on what kind of game you're going to run as your focus? (Intrique, fighting the symbiotes, all of the above?)

When I get home I'll detail all the supplements for you.

A reply straight from the Top Dog!This game looks really cool.I went with Fading Suns based on a freind's recomendation.He said it (the background )had similarities to Dune.After perusing the book I found the similarities to the most classic of all SF settings but immediately saw a whole range of other possibilities.

The first thing that came to mind was the classic book Space Viking by H. Beam Piper and Poul Anderson's future history.After a little research I chose the Victory point system over D20 because a reveiw of the D20 book said it didn't cover cybernetics.So my game will be set in Barbarian Space.The idea of a cybernetic Space Viking NPC villan is one of the best things I can imagine in an RPG.I don't know if the barbarian background in the game will support this but I'm sure i can properly tweak it.

My game's concept is something i'm still working on but will open like this:
    The PC's start on a world bordering the Barbarians as Inquisitors,Questing Knights,or just plain adventurers,probably a mix of all 3.They'll have a noble patron get them to a point in Barbarian turf with some kind of task to perform.There will be a contact who will meet the PC's further defineng the mission. This will be followed by a viscous battle with the Barb.'s.Help doesn't arrive and the party ends up running for their lives,alone and helpless in hostile territory.I don't have much else beyond this besides future reconciliation with the Noble's contact and another doublecross.And lots of combat !

So far I only own the core rules (glad I went with the non-D20) and I can afford to buy about 2 books a month.The next 2 in about a week.Judging by the products section in the back of the book I think I'll go with Star Crusade and th Players Companion.I would appreciate your input on what other books I'll be needing.

So Barbarians ,occaisional intrigue,being on the run,and combat-every-session(a departure from my ST game) will be the basic elements.And a cyber Space Viking antagonist.The church will figure prominently at some point.Very little in Alien involvement.

My only rules question so far is this:
    Character creation:Are the starting Body and Mind characteristics for humans set at 3?What are the starting values for aliens(1 of my players will probably take one)?I'll be using the Character histories method.And i'll probably have more questions when i finish reading the rules.

I appreciate your reply Don.This Fading Suns thing looks like it will be a lot of fun.

"I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf