Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Klingon sourcebook

I've received permission from Steve Kenson to include his material, so all told, we've got three chapters down. Once Magnus gets the Klingon Sourcebook forum set up, we can start to further hash things out and find out what we need and what we want.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    I've received permission from Steve Kenson to include his material, so all told, we've got three chapters down.
    So how's the Ent material going to be integrated?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    So how's the Ent material going to be integrated?
    Haven't quite figured that one out yet, since I haven't given Steve's material a close read just yet. I'll get back to you on that one.

Owen told me some of this when he sent me the chargen stuff. Well, let's nip this in the bud right here, then.

We are NOT trying to write a language book. And we are likewise NOT trying to write out TNG and later. Now I love Mike Ford's books as well as, if not better, than a lot of Klingon material out there. He was a friend, and he's not to be dismissed...but his stuff isn't canon (mostly; every now and then someone would slip something in, it seems).

We're not trying to rewrite history, at least beyond what's already been done in on-screen retcons. Humans first encounter Klingons in Oklahoma, the Vulcans have known about them for a good long time before that, and so on. The Ranger incident in 2218 was the first time the Federation, per se, had encountered them after a long period of withdrawal. That sorta thing.

As closely as possible, we're going to stick to on-screen canon...this includes Enterprise, all the films, even Voyager. If this is a problem, quit now. If you have a problem going through me, quit now. If you have a problem with your precious words getting edited and massaged to work with the precious words of some of the other contributors, quit now.
    Thats a pretty good mission statement. keep it on file... ;p

Now, next question... Once (if) the completed stuff gets done, anyone want to work on an retro-fitted ICON version of the game material?

I might have a play with that team later on.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    Thats a pretty good mission statement. keep it on file... ;p

Now, next question... Once (if) the completed stuff gets done, anyone want to work on an retro-fitted ICON version of the game material?

If the book was made couldnt we just intergrate both coda/icon stats? Shouldnt be that difficult to do..just a thought.Also im glad goodman doesnt want this to be made into some kind of "klingon language book".Im just looking for something i can use in multiple campaigns.With 3 chapters already done and goodman willing to do editing and layout,this should should be fun.Ill keep an eye on for the klingon sub-forum so we can get this thing done.

Mmm... I don't know, then. The Kenson write up drinks deep from the shallow pool of blandness (there's a Klingon Stalin, but no mention of the Klingon Trotskies or Lenins!). It's also TNG-centric, to the point where the political situation in TOS only gets 350 words, most of which is a rehash of what we already know, and then 150 words that were rendered erroneous via ENT. I can post my thoughts for comparison, but without the option of greatly expanding the material (the TOS and ENT eras need at least 2000 words each to compete), I'm not sure I'm into it. I might still like to finish the chapter on Klingon philosophy.

The Akos'ngan also sound a little too close to the M'rok (small nation of space-traveling spiders); folding them together might be a good idea. And the Xomin Brotherhood needs to choose either more or less Sontaran. Maybe throw in a Rutan analogue too, for flavour.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, a whole chapter on the enemies of the Empire would be a cool idea. Starting with notes on Klingon interactions with, intentions toward, and views of the Federation, Romulans and Tholians, and moving on to full species/location/ship writeups for aliens like the Xomin.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 01-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I know CODA doesn't float your boat, Dan, but are you familiar with the world-building system in CODA? I wouldn't think moving from one to the other would be all that difficult, but I have noticed that there are a lot of planetary writeups in some of Kenson's material that I would need "translated" and I know I'm not all that conversant in ICON.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, a whole chapter on the enemies of the Empire would be a cool idea. Starting with notes on Klingon interactions with, intentions toward, and views of the Federation, Romulans and Tholians, and moving on to full species/location/ship writeups for aliens like the Xomin.
    I wouldn't mind that myself; throw in the Gorn, just for kicks.

I wouldn't mind that myself; throw in the Gorn, just for kicks.
    Basically, anyone we can think of who would look cool in a fight with a Klingon.

Unhappy

I know CODA doesn't float your boat, Dan, but are you familiar with the world-building system in CODA? I wouldn't think moving from one to the other would be all that difficult, but I have noticed that there are a lot of planetary writeups in some of Kenson's material that I would need "translated" and I know I'm not all that conversant in ICON.
    Unfortunately I never got around to downloading the ebooks... So I missed out... Was tempted but kept on putting it off and then it was too late.

BUT. I would be happy to proof-read fluff text.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Unfortunately I never got around to downloading the ebooks... So I missed out... Was tempted but kept on putting it off and then it was too late.
    You wanna know a secret? The crunchy bits for the world-building system for CODA Worlds? The actual rules that augment the system already in the Narrator's Guide? They're available for free up on my site. The preview for Worlds was the first chapter, which happened to have all the crunchy bits that fit in with and expanded the rules in the NG.
    BUT. I would be happy to proof-read fluff text.
    And I will be glad for your assistance.

Cpt. Lundgren has opened up the Klingon sourcebook workspace forum, so if you're interested, go the Workspaces forum and find the instructions for joining up.

I propose the first thread on the Klingon subforum should be for dibs-calling : P
    Actually, it's the second thread, but it's there.

Patrick;

I'm willing to get involved on writing parts of the Klingon Book. Maybe we could do it as a joint ICON/CODA book. I'm getting fairly heavily into doing Klingon Mythology and Cosmology.

Drop me an E-Mail.