Thread: Ferengi

Exclamation Ferengi

I dont know but... im the only one who have notice that the Ferengi template is flawed ?

I mean... its not really logic...

Attributes Frame
    FITNESS: 1 [5]
    Strength -1
    Vitality +1
    COORDINATION: 2 [5]
    INTELLECT 2 [6]
    Logic +1
    Perception +1
    PRESENCE 2 [5]
    Empathy -1
    Willpower -1
    PSI 0 [0]

Culture (Ferengi) 2 (3)
    History (Ferengi) 1 (2)
    World knowledge (Ferenginar or other HW) 1 (2)
    Language, Ferengi 2
    Fast Talk 1
    Bargain (choose Specialization) 2 (3)
    Merchant (choose Specialization) 1 (2)

Advantage/Disadvantage
    Excellent Hearing +2
    Mathematical Ability +3
    Telepathic Resistance +4
    Greedy -1

#1 = Logic +1... Humm... The Ferengi can be logic, yeaaaaa... but not as the Vulcan do. But in Stat they are as Logic and Intelligent as the Vulcan... So if it was of me = No Logic +1, Max Intellect [5]
    #2 = Mathematical Ability +3, Same argument as above, Ferengi do not seen to calculate so fast... and anyway, Mathematical Ability is more than just mental calcul...
    #3 = Empathy -1... I think that the Ferengi are not not Empathic, they just have a bad reputation...

So my Ferengi Template look like that

Attributes Frame
    FITNESS: 1 [5]
    Strength -1
    Vitality +1
    COORDINATION: 2 [5]
    INTELLECT 2 [5]
    Perception +1
    PRESENCE 2 [5]
    Willpower -1
    PSI 0 [0]

Culture (Ferengi) 2 (3)
    History (Ferengi) 1 (2)
    World knowledge (Ferenginar or other HW) 1 (2)
    Language, Ferengi 2
    Fast Talk 1
    Bargain (choose Specialization) 2 (3)
    Merchant (choose Specialization) 1 (2)
    Science, Social (Economics) 0 (1)

Advantage/Disadvantage
    Excellent Hearing +2
    Telepathic Resistance +4
    Reputaion (Greedy) -2
    Greedy -1

What do ya think ???

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cmd.Hentar:
    I dont know but... im the only one who have notice that the Ferengi template is flawed ?</font>
    <Snip>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    #1 = Logic +1... Humm... The Ferengi can be logic, yeaaaaa... but not as the Vulcan do. But in Stat they are as Logic and Intelligent as the Vulcan... So if it was of me = No Logic +1, Max Intellect [5]
    #2 = Mathematical Ability +3, Same argument as above, Ferengi do not seen to calculate so fast... and anyway, Mathematical Ability is more than just mental calcul...
    #3 = Empathy -1... I think that the Ferengi are not not Empathic, they just have a bad reputation...
    </font>
    Your right, and depending on your viewpoint, you could also be misinterpreting the numbers.

#1 - Sure Ferengi and Vulcan logic are not the same, you'll get no arguement here, but +1 Logic is just a number, the approach to the solution would be the species characterisation...
    So using the example, while a Vulcan will coldly analyse a situation, a Ferengi will work out the best way to gain from the situation.
    Using the same edge, but with very different approaches and very different solutions...

#2 Mathematical Ability - You are mistaking this advantage with that of Lightening Calculator. All Mathematical Ability does is allow acharacter to be VERY good at mental arithemetic, which does suit a Ferengi, after all they are taught the rules of commerce at a very early age, and the emphasis of their society is towards making a profit...

#3 - OK, its true that the Ferengi can and do show empathy, it should also be noted that even when they 'feel' for the customers the on screen evidence always shows the ferengi concerned (usually Quark) wrestling with their greed over doing the right thing.
    Which easily justify's the non disabling -1 Empathy for me.

All that said, I do not want to disuade your opinions, like I said, your quite right if looking from a certain perspective. I hope that your altered Ferengi template works out.

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cmd.Hentar:
    #1 = Logic +1... Humm... The Ferengi can be logic, yeaaaaa... but not as the Vulcan do. But in Stat they are as Logic and Intelligent as the Vulcan... So if it was of me = No Logic +1, Max Intellect [5]</font>
    I'm not shocked by that point, it only shows the ability of a specie to think through a problem, Ferengi largely prefer to get out of trouble with wits than with muscle. For the max intelect value, well it's a max intelect value, the best ferengi and the best vulcan can outsmart someone who as "only" 5. The Negus is supposed to understand and predict economical changes of 2 (or 3) quadrants almost without the help of computers.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">#2 = Mathematical Ability +3, Same argument as above, Ferengi do not seen to calculate so fast... and anyway, Mathematical Ability is more than just mental calcul...</font>
    Ferengi mental ability to wrestle with numbers is well known, you can see it in the show numerous times (like in "Ferengi love songs").
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">#3 = Empathy -1... I think that the Ferengi are not not Empathic, they just have a bad reputation...</font>
    Quark is not the average Ferengi, he said that he particularly liked to chat with his customers and that it was the reason why he choose that bar job (other ferengi businessmans don't seem to care about there customer's feelings that much.

I do not think it is so illogical, but the most important rule in a game being to do what you want: Ferengis in your universe do not have to be like Ferengis in mine . (In fact all your points are right if you consider TNG Ferengis, but I prefer DS9 Ferengis)

------------------
    Hoping You'll understand all of this

Exclamation

Youre right about the Lightning Calculator... but the Ferengi are not particulary good in Science and Mathematics. We only see that they can jungle easely with number, but when you read Mathematical Ability that really another level of Mathematics...