Thread: Bolians

Bolians

Hey board My first attempt at anything like this, but I just cant live without a Bolian racial template for CODA! I only got the PG yesterday... so I've cobbled this together, based a little on the ICON stuff - but also my own thoughts too on how I perceive Bolians. Any suggestions would be welcome... I've tried really hard to come up with something sensible Anyone who wants to use this is most welcome, I created it for my own amusement - but thought I may as well share.

BOLIANS

LANGUAGES: Bolian, Federation Standard

FAVOURED PROFESSION: Due to their robust and outgoing nature, plus their adaptability, Bolians can fit in just about anywhere. Their social abilities make them excellent at roles which involve a lot of interaction so there's a possible affinity with roles in the caring, medical or service professions.

SPECIES ADJUSTMENTS: -1 Strength, +1 Agility, +1 Presence

SPECIES ABILITIES:
    BONUS EDGE: COORDINATOR: Bolian culture is skewed towards group interactions and teamwork. When working in a group with others, they're able to pull the group's efforts together to reach the common goal with more efficiency.

BONUS EDGE: SKILL FOCUS: TALKATIVE: Bolians can get on well with most people and are excellent talkers. At character creation receive a species bonus of Influence (Charm AND Fast Talk) at +2.

STRENGTH OF WILL: Bolians possess a good amount of willpower which aids them in their desire to see any task through to its conclusion. They tolerate failure with an earnest understanding to "try, try again." This strong sense of dedication gives them an enhanced ability in Willpower reaction tests, received at +1 bonus.

SOCIAL AWARENESS: Bolians have an understanding of the social sciences, particularly those involving social interactions. At character creation receive a species bonus of "Science: Social Science" with no speciality at +2.

ADDITIONAL - 6th June 2002: In concurrance with the species creation guide in the Narrators guide, the above species template comes out at 16 picks (thanks to Sea Tyger for this)
    Last edited by starfleetlover; 06-06-2002 at 11:39 AM.

Not bad.

I'd suggest giving them both specialities under Amiable at +2 or taking one at +4l, making it equvialent to Skill Focus.

Hmm yes - I like the idea of adding that as a skill focus

Perhaps... adding it as a "Skill Focus: Talkative" with a +4 mod to Influence (Charm) OR Influence (Fast-Talk) - I like that idea the most. My only problem... would this be unbalancing the Bolians too much, would we need to lose something else to accomodate this as a skill focus or d'ya think it would be OK?

Originally posted by starfleetlover
    Hmm yes - I like the idea of adding that as a skill focus

Perhaps... adding it as a "Skill Focus: Talkative" with a +4 mod to Influence (Charm) OR Influence (Fast-Talk) - I like that idea the most. My only problem... would this be unbalancing the Bolians too much, would we need to lose something else to accomodate this as a skill focus or d'ya think it would be OK?

I think Skill Focus: Talktative with a +2 bonus to Influence (Charm) AND (Fast-Talk). Or maybe just a +2 to Influence. Both are acceptable under Skill Focus.

The again something could be said for Persuade or maybe Negotiate in the mix, as there are several social skills.

Generally, as long as it apporximately equal an edge the ability should be okay.

Oh...I like that bolian template. When I was thinking about the other 3 cadets in the first few episodes (who will also become regular guest stars in the series) I wanted to make one a bolian but sense it wasn't a choice I went with Trill instead...

Think I'll go ahead and use that template you made and make a Bolian medical officer...

Kyle...LOVES making characters

Originally posted by tonyg

I think Skill Focus: Talktative with a +2 bonus to Influence (Charm) AND (Fast-Talk). Or maybe just a +2 to Influence. Both are acceptable under Skill Focus.

The again something could be said for Persuade or maybe Negotiate in the mix, as there are several social skills.

Generally, as long as it apporximately equal an edge the ability should be okay.
    Hehe - right, I've included the suggestion for including the +2 bonus to Influence (Charm AND Fast Talk) as a Skill Focus: Talkative. I think that works well The updated racial template is above.

Originally posted by Tilarium

Think I'll go ahead and use that template you made and make a Bolian medical officer...
    Hey, thanks It's really fulfilling to know that my efforts have helped someone out - please, anyone else who wants to use this template please go right ahead. Let us know how you get on!

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Balancing Out Bolians w/ the NG

Okay, moving on to the Bolians.

Abilities even out to 0. Coordinator is worth 2. Skill Focus (talkative) is worth 2. Strength of Will is worth 3. Social Awareness is worth 4. The total number of picks comes out to 11.

This a little light, below the 13-20 pick guidelines presented in the NG. Personally, I would add a +1 Presence, because of the Bolian natural aptitude for interaction. That would balance them out to 16 picks.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Excellent suggestion, thanks a lot!!

If a +1 Presence fits in with the NG guidelines with regards to creating a balanced species I say woohoo! I've added that adjustment to the template above.

Thanks a lot I'm currently waiting for the NG to materialise on my doorstep courtesy of the interstellar mail-order postman... :\ Hurry up!