Thread: Question about a new alien species

Post Question about a new alien species

I am developing a new antagonist species for one of my upcoming series, and I'm having some difficulty nailing down a few characteristics.

The race is semi-liquid in nature, though still capable of complex movement and physical manipulation. They are kind of like the character Inque from the Batman Beyond cartoon, but do not possess a humanoid form.

They have no central nervous system, digestive system, cardiovascular system, and so forth. Their nervous system is spread throughout their entre "body," as is their circulatory system. They are highly intelligent (enough so to have achieved Technology Level 6, including warp travel) and very hardy.

They generally use armored biosuits to get around. These suits are shaped like a football standing on end with tendrils streaming from the bottom (as pseudopodiae) and three manipulator tendirls spaced equidistantly about the midsection of the suit. While not equipped with integrated weapons systems, the aliens often carry handheld (or rather tendril-held) weapons.

Their starships are extremely strange in appearance. They look somewhat like a radiate from the oceans of Earth (and many other worlds, no doubt), with a central hub and tendrils/tentacles spaced around the body's perimeter. They have powerful weapons and plasma-based shielding as well as the ability to grappel other ships and drain their energy reserves (OOOOOH!).

My questions are these:

1. How would one characterize the liquid form trait of the aliens in LUGTrek terms?

2. How would you characterize the energy draining weapon in general terms and in Spacedock terms?

3. What is a good motivation (in your opinion) for these aliens' hostility? I already have my own ideas, but I'm curious what you all think.

4. What is a good name for this race? Again, I have my own ideas, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

mactavish out.

AslanC Guest

Wow! That's some interesting creatures...have you ever read the Vang books? They might give you some ideas or potential answers to your questions.

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Star Trek:Strange New Worlds;
    http://www.geocities.com/aslan_collas/
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">4. What is a good name for this race? Again, I have my own ideas, but I'm interested in your thoughts.</font>
    Form/Function based: Khaloid, Khalyd, Ka’lyd
    Basic Nature: Aqueons, Aquii.

I will use the word “Aqueon/Aqueons” for the race in the following comments, substitute as you like.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">1. How would one characterize the liquid form trait of the aliens in LUGTrek terms? </font>
    The Aqueons are in essence, a colloid-based race. The organic material which makes up their systems (either liquid or solid) is suspended in a liquid dispersion medium by interfacial tension. They may or may not have a gel-structure, allowing them to maintain some rigidity. There are probably some solid or semi-solid “organs” inside of these beings which can move and flow through the system.

You mention nervous and circulatory systems are dispersed, these are doubtless taking place in isolated systems flowing through the liquid dispersion medium. Respiration and intake of nutrients are likewise handled by absorption through the outer membrane. Sensory apparatus is within the standard range, although their vision is excessively poor and their hearing/touch is enhanced.

Game Mechanics: Aqueons are protected from kinetic damage (fists, swords etc) up to 5 points as their semi-liquid forms flow around the source (Kinetic Resistance +5), They can be ‘stunned’ by hydrostatic shock and certain sonic attacks which resonate with their liquid dispersion medium (Medical Disadvantage -2) and they have limited function compared to most humanoids outside of their battlepods (Physical Impairment –3, they cannot move large amounts of physical material for instance and their manipulation of physical objects is relatively limited; I would qualify this the same as being Blinded or paraplegic). Poor Sight (-2) & Excellent Hearing (+2)

In their Battlepods, the Aqueons loose their Physical Impairment (Medical Remedy +3) and balance their increased Sight with decreased hearing, bringing both within standard range. The BattlePods are used to determine the Aqueon’s Fitness rating. Outside of their Battlepods, all Aqueons have a Fitness of 1, Vitality +2 and can only attack “drys” by smothering/suffocating them.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2. How would you characterize the energy draining weapon in general terms and in Spacedock terms? </font>
    Energy draining is not something that the Aqueons are unfamiliar with. In essence, this is merely allowing their Ships to draw power from their environment the same way that they do – by absorbing it through the “skin”. In order to use the Energy draining effect, the Aqueon Ship must initiate a minor collision (MU+Size damage to both vessels; the Aqueons may have developed some sort of “tight shield” that will minimize the damage) and then they may initiate their Energy Draining device.

Aqueon Energy Drain Device:
    SU Cost: [(Total Amount of Energy absorption possible)/X]*[(Energy Absorption per round)/Y]
    X= 10 (TOS), 15 (Movie), 20 (TNG)
    Y= 5 (TOS), 10 (Movie), 15 (TNG)
    Power Cost: ¼ of Power absorbed is used by the Energy Drain Device to maintain the power field.

Example: A 700-point Energy Draining Weapon which can absorb 90 energy a round in the TNG era costs 35*6= 210 SU

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">3. What is a good motivation (in your opinion) for these aliens' hostility? I already have my own ideas, but I'm curious what you all think. </font>
    (A/Simple) We “drys” (humanoids in solid shape as opposed to a liquid shape) have invaded their space. Yeah, its been done, but it is not a bad thing to use for an exploration campaign. A variation of this is that a human colony has been founded by a corporate interest. The corporation has begun dumping chemicals into the nearby ‘sea’ which is actually a spawning pool for the Aqueons. Use for morality play, add combat for spice. Allow situation to simmer to a boil using trapped colonists (“But Cap’n, we moost git ta the coolinists! Thar dyin’ in thar thenks ta them Aqueon deevils!”)

(B/Weird Science The Aqueons have a physical reaction to the technology used by the Federation. In the presence of any Federation Technology, even when it is only on standby (Communicator pins/Communicators etc.) Aqueons becomes highly agitated. In terms of ship-to-ship contact, the Federation Warp Drives are enough to agitate Aqueons in nearby vessels (which might cause a race which has approached the Federation vessel to suddenly open fire against them as they close).

(C/Socio-cultural) There is a mentality among the Aqueons that “drys” are simply tools. They do not recognize us as being truly sentient, and therefore prefer to view us as little more than remote Battlepods. Why bother to consider the survival of such a class of beings as truly important?

(D/Inferiority Complex) The Aqueons are an ancient race. They evolved sometime after their ancient, more rigid forebears discovered basic technology and were able to adapt to their changing physical needs as the evolution continued. The Aqueons are also a stagnant race however, and fear that their latest ‘evolution’ has led them to a dead end. There is some truth to this, as the Aqueons have not advanced significantly in relation to the humanoid races. As a result, the Aqueons tend to raid other cultures in order to adapt their technology and have become involved in several wars with “drys” over the last few centuries.

Gee, I might steal the idea if you don't mind. BTW, I have a sketch of the Battlepod 'Football' and if I can get my scanner working I'll scan it/clean it and put on my site.

John D. Lees
    Mad Political Scientist

[This message has been edited by Publius (edited 03-28-2001).]

Lightbulb

Dude, it’s only been barely 24 hours!

Okay, here you go.

1) Why? Why have a Trait? You said they’re made of water but are “capable of complex movement and physical manipulation.” So, they’re just like everyone else from a mechanics standpoint. I don’t see the need for a Trait.

Inversely we can point them out (which I know you love to do) with Medical Problem, Poor Sight, Poor Chemoceception and have their Template read like a laundry list.

I’m of the ‘KISS’ school of thinking.

I would say outside of their suits, you might need to come up with some mechanics to address their lack of a nervous system (which lends itself to a whole new ball of problems that I won’t get into) for combat. Doesn’t sound like they’re very resilient outside of their suits, and one good punch or phaser shot will go right through their outer membrane and spatter them across the nearest bulkhead. (Again, based on your description.)

Much of this is dependent upon how much the characters will be interacting with the aliens (if at all). Also, if the aliens are constantly in their suits, they you can sidestep this entire issue.

2) Rate each weapon traditionally (like Damage: 20). Instead of doing damage, however, each “attack” from said weapon reduces the power output by said amount on the target ship. Engineer or Operations Officer could try to counter with some really difficult skill Tests. After a couple of shots the characters are going to have a hard time allocating power to all the necessary systems. (“We’ve got enough to keep the shields up at 20%, or to fire a volley of torpedoes – not both.” “Captain, we either leave now or we may not have enough power to leave ever.”)

Spacedock would be similar.

Yes, this is very abstract, but so is starship combat in my game. Typically I know the outcome of an encounter before it happens – the players get to make rolls for dramatic effect or to do things that weren’t thought of.

I like the energy-draining/grapple idea, however. With this setup it sounds like they are well suited to piracy or are constantly “harvesting” other ships looking for something.

3) Well, where are they? Are they in the AQ and no one has spotted them? Are they on the fringes where the characters are exploring? How big is their homeworld and how many ships do they have? What’s their natural environment?

Their predisposition for non-lethal weapons to capture ships suggests they are similar to the Viidians in that they are somewhat parasitical in nature. That is, they need something that other species have. Otherwise, they’d just blow them into smithereens and be done with it. So, their aggressive nature may be due to need, rather than desire.

Something nasty that comes to mind is that they feed off other species to absorb liquid nutrients so to sustain themselves. The human body is comprised of what, 70% water?

4) Sorry, no ideas here. Most of my alien names are ass.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 03-28-2001).]

Well... that is certainly more than I'm accustomed to seeing regarding much of what I post here! Thanks for the stuff, Publius... particularly the colloid bit... that was what I've been trying to come up with for literally weeks now. I used to teach elementary school science and we did the experiment with the corn starch in water (a colloid) and... never mind.

The bit about the weapon for Spacedock was particularly insightful and useful. And I'd love to see the suit drawing, too.

Don, too, I agree with the logic of just making the liquid form a special effect... something that I considered.

Sorry if I seemed impatient... I have been on edge lately. Long story.

mactavish out.

No problem, btw, I have posted the pics and I am interested in your comments as to whether or not the sketch done by a pure amateur comes close to your concept. And about the "Colloid" stuff, well, I am a Scientist after all (okay, I am a political scientist but I still qualify as an academic).

The only thing is the color of the biosuit, which I figured ought to be hideous. The Aqueons might be slick (oh! had to get in a bad pun) but that does not mean that they are particularly 'well dressed'. I have various color schemes and before anyone says how stinko-they are yes indeed they are meant to offend .

http://members.nbci.com/arcanumx/mis...ek/aqueon.html

Give it a rip, some people have problem getting the nbci site, particularly from AOL for some reason. If so, I can email it direct to any of those who are interested.

John D. Lees
    Mad Political Scientist

Nope... I haven't read the books you've mentioned. I'll have to have a look at them, I suppose, as no one else is being particularly forthcoming...

mac out.

As an aside, but slightly connected...

What was the sci-fi that had the aliens refer to Humans as 'Ugly Bags of Mostly Water...' And what would the Aqueons (To use John D. Lees concept of using the name and substituting your version later), what would there opinion of this be?

I like the idea of their slang for us being translated as 'Drys', but with such a large percentage of the Human(oid) body being water would this be a possible olive branch at a leter date as a stepping stone to peace?

BTW. Love the Bio suit. I think this species is worth more investigation and a full page for template, history and planetary details...

Looking forward to more on this...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Question

Dan, wasn't that a TNG episode? Energy beings that looked like lights and kept reproducing in their containment field?

OT:

Thank you, thats the one... Although your thinking of DS9's 'Playing God', it was actually the silicn life in 'TNG's Home Soil'...

Back on topic.

So if a silicon lifeform considers humanoid life as 'Ugly Bags of mostly water', there is a good connection to the Aqueons use of the term 'drys'. Although that does tend to bring to mind the Changelings term 'Solids'...

MActavish, have you worked out Stats for this species yet?

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Actually "solid" sounds much better when you think about it, since these guys are "liquid", but since that was already 'taken' I had to use something. "Dry" sounds almost as good, and to the Aqueons, we human(oids) would at least appear dry from the outside. The energy creatures from the episode you are referring had senses other than sight to rely upon. This provided them with a picture of what the humans they encountered looked like (allowing them to take the water content of the human body into account) and thus their description. Perception is everything and to a race of colloids we would after all look... dry.

In regards to more material on the Aqueons, I have it, but I do not want to poach Mactavish's idea by posting any of it without his say-so. It was his idea after all for the liquid race, biosuits etc. but it seemed to jog me at just the right time; the Aqueons are going to be the threat race of my adventure this Saturday .

John D. Lees
    Mad Political scientist

Yeah, I've got some notes, but I'd also be interested in what the madpolitical scientist has thrown together as well.

I have to put my stuff together, and, once I'm done, post it here. If Publius feels comfortable slapping his stuff up here as well, hey... the more, the merrier.

mactavish out.

AQUEONS

Note that all material in Italics can be changed in order to suit the race for your own series

Overview

The Aqueons are a colloid-based race in the tightly packed Nygil Cluster located near the Negative-Z frontier of the UFP. This Warp-Capable race generally stays away from the lifeforms they call ‘drys’ because of socio-cultural taboos; this has largely restricted their contact with the major races to tales related by those species which are close to the Aqueon home systems.

HOMEWORLD

Unknown (What the Federation call Gamma Tricyldae IV because of its placement on their star-charts)

HOME REGION OF SOVEREIGN TERRITORY

Seven systems close to Gamma Tricyldae have been deposited with Aqueon ‘settlements’ around which is a ring of planetary systems where the Aqueons have laid down ‘spawning pools’

SUGGESTED ATTRIBUTE AND EDGE RATING

Fitness: 1 [3]
    . Vitality +2
    Coordination: 2 [5]
    . Reaction –1
    . Dexterity +1
    Intellect: 2 [5]
    Presence: 1 [1]
    . Empathy –1
    . Willpower +2
    Psi: 0 [0]

Fluid Resistance: The Aqueon is immune to the first 5 points of physical damage caused by purely physical means (fist, sword, projectile, falls etc.) as if they were wearing 5 points of armor. They also have +2 toughness for attacks of this type (raising ‘typical’ members of the species to Resistance: 10, 5/5/5/5/5/0)
    Sensory Range: Outside of their biosuits, the Aqueon have a Sensory range above that of humans for hearing and below for visual input (Excellent Hearing/Poor Sight)

SIZE

Aqueons come in a wide variety of sizes, but tend to be roughly the size of a human torso. They can form tendrils which can reach roughly twice the span of a human limb. Biosuits, which Aqueons are normally found in when dealing with “drys”, are much larger than standard humans (roughly 6 foot) tall and 4 foot in circumference).

DESCRIPTION

Biology

The Aqueon resembles a mass of pinkish-green liquid, sometimes with what appear to be ‘lumps’ of various sizes swirling inside; depending on age, this mass is like a puddle (proto-Aqueon to young), pudding (adult) or glob (elder) which casts out tendrils as pseudopodia. The organs and biological systems of the Aqueon (which is solid rather than liquid) are suspended in a liquid dispersion medium by interfacial tension. There are “organs” inside of these beings that move and flow through the system, rising to the surface, falling away etc due to Brownian motion, including visual sensory organs (which look like motes swirling in the body) and the ‘central eye/brain’ a large circular organ which indicates where the Aqueon is “looking”.

Aqueons have a gel-structure allowing adults to maintain their rigidity. The largest ‘organ’ of the Aqueon, similar to humans and other humanoid species, is their skin or outer membrane and generally is slightly more rigid than the biomatter soup inside. Interestingly, rigidity grows over the lifespan of the individual Aqueon. The young are extremely low density (i.e. nonrigid and nearly indistinguishable from water save through chemical analysis) but slowly become more and more rigid over time. During the ‘adult phase’ of the Aqueon, these beings are able to form tendrils in order to manipulate tools and undertake various crafts. During the ‘Elder Phase’ Aqueons trade their ease of movement for greater strength (as the tendrils are more rigid they can perform more work) until they finally solidify completely, which leads very quickly to death.

Aqueon nervous and circulatory systems are dispersed, as isolated systems flowing through the liquid dispersion medium, which makes the Aqueon highly resistant to standard kinetic damage. Respiration and intake of nutrients are handled by absorption of gas and material through the outer membrane. Sensory apparatus is within the standard range, although their vision is excessively poor and their hearing/touch is enhanced.

Aqueons communicate through a highly evolved language. The young tend to speak quickly while the elders tend to do so slowly, this is because the sounds which make up their speech are made from the shifting of their liquid dispersion medium in a semi-rigid chamber. As the dispersion medium solidifies and the semi-rigid chamber becomes more rigid, the elders have a harder time speaking. As a result, Aqueons tend to regard those drys who speak slowly as elders and those who speak quickly as young, even among the drys.

Culture

Aqueon culture is devoted to the Unity, de-emphasizing individualism and placing a great deal of importance on achieving conformity and doing what is best for the group. This makes them appear very hostile when confronted with highly individualistic cultures or cultures which have what appear to the Aqueon to be opposing goals.

The Aqueons see the whole, what they call the “Unity” as paramount: the needs of the Unity are the primary needs of all individuals. Individualism is noticed, these are not Hive-minds at all, but at the same time it is not strongly supported by the social system. Individual Aqueons live and die, but the Unity must survive and flourish. This makes them seem especially ‘hard-hearted’ to most drys because they are more than willing to sacrifice individual Aqueons and more likely to commit ‘atrocities’ against other species because they feel others share the same disregard as they do for the individual.

Aqueons have a hierarchical social structure, in which the Elders command the adults and Youngsters play little or no role whatsoever. This has the advantage of ensuring that any Aqueon will eventually attain a position of leadership as they grow older, and that Elders recall what they themselves had to deal with as Youngsters. As a young Aqueon becomes an adult and later an elder they adopt the mindset common to their age-range over individual peculiarities of individual personality. Exobiologists may surmise that this has to do with the hardening of the Aqueons ‘brain tissue’ over time and the uniform way that Aqueon tend to treat one another.

The Aqueons of a particular grouping refer to their leader as the Eldest, followed by Elder (whatever designation the Aqueon uses for themselves, usually something that is either utilitarian such as ‘Maker of Tools’ or has to do with their personal history in saving the group ‘Human-killer’, ‘savior-of-young’ etc.).

History

Aqueons began developing as a race when a geological event on their homeworld allowed the seas in which the proto-Aqueons had developed to flow into a rich deposit of Devronium and other minerals. The trace elements had the effect of providing the proto-Aqueons with a significant boost to their brain function, and their species evolved significantly. Later, Tool-use and ultimately scientific advancement came as the Aqueons went from the sea to the land and began having to deal with predators and uncertain physical environments. For the most part, the Aqueons have 'tamed' their homeworld, and prefer it to anywhere else. This is one of the reasons that the Aqueons have not made much use of Warp drive to colonize other worlds, and when they do, the Aqueons usually only ‘colonize’ in order to provide spawning pools for their young. Their young require certain trace elements to grow beyond a certain stage of development, which have become very difficult to locate on the Aqueon homeworld (largely due to the fact that Aqueons have a taboo against burying their ‘dead’ to recycle these minerals). These minerals, which include the mineral Devronnium, allow the Aqueons to develop intelligence (without them, the proto-Aqueons do not develop into a truly sentient state).

Several thousand years ago, Aqueons began making primitive ‘biosuits’ from the shells of creatures that had been hunting them only hundred of years before. As Aqueon tool-use developed into true technology, these ‘biosuits’ slowly evolved into the high tech containment vessels they are today.

The Aqueons rarely venture out of the space which they have claimed in the negative Z-frontiers of Federation Space, for them, the Unity is all and there is no need. Warp Drive itself has become a way for the Aqueons to simply obtain the resources which they need to lay down spawning pools.

Most of the contact between Aqueons and other races have been hostile. Aqueons are very uneasy around “drys” and tend to view them as predators (the predators of their home world are after all “dry” as well, and the Aqueons have met no other species such as their own). Additionally, the Aqueons first experience with another Warp-capable race was with the Vaque, a thoroughly disreputable aggressor species which specializes in raiding and double-dealing and this has similarly tinged their relationship with other species. While Aqueon scientists are well aware that there are different species in the galaxy, it is hard to avoid the stereotyping of other races based on the “dry” vs. Aqueon/”other” vs. Unity dimension.

BIOSUIT AND WEAPON MECHANICS

Biosuits provide 50 points of armor, energy as well as kinetic. Biosuits also allow the Aqueon to enhance their visual range (bringing it roughly up to normal levels with the added benefits of Night Vision) and can “attack” for a variable amount of damage:

Standard tendril manipulators/empty socket: 8+2d6
    Claw Manipulator ‘chop’: 10+2d6
    Claw Manipulator ‘grab’: 4+d6 + grapple effects.

Weapons: Biosuits do not have weapons built in, but weapons can be added to the socket at the end of the manipulator arms. The Aqueons use a weapon that excites molecules in a fashion somewhat similar to Disruptors using phased mesons, the weapons are known as “Meson Accelerators” and the Aqueon versions have 100 charges.

1 Light Stun 2+2d6 1 charge Stun a human for 5 minutes
    2 Lo Thermal 10+2d6 5 charges Cut a whole in 10cm of steel in 3 minutes
    3 Hi Thermal 12+3d6 10 charges Cut a whole in 10 cm of Steel in 30 sec.
    4 Light Disrupt 24+5d6 20 charges Vaporize a human being

John D. Lees
    Mad Political Scientist

[This message has been edited by Publius (edited 03-30-2001).]

4. A liquid based lifeform would likely have a language that is totally unpronouncable to humanoids, so their own name for themselves would have to be translated. "Aqueon" might be a decent translation of "One Who Comes From Water". However, I would let my players make first contact with these aliens, and let them come up with their own translation of the aliens name. Let the players put their characters in the history books.

------------------

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

I appreciate the input, Sarge, but there are two things I should point out in regards to my use of the name "Aqueon". One has nothing to do with the game setting itself or the "suspension of disbelief" but ease of reading, the other has to do with the background of the species as written.

• I named them for my own personal ease (selfish aint I?), as well as the ease of the reader. Otherwise I would refer to them as "the race" and "this race" which gets a bit tedious (I've read some descriptions like this). I also wanted to make clear that this was my version of the colloid race, based off of the basic description that mactavish posted (which really helped me get started on an adventure seed, thanks!), not the version he will ultimately make and post here. Less confusion that way.
    • The Players are going to make first contact with these aliens, at least they think so, from the UFP side. The Aqueons have actually already been encountered by "drys" which have named them, just not by the UFP/Starfleet. From the description section above...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Additionally, the Aqueons first experience with another Warp-capable race was with the Vaque, a thoroughly disreputable aggressor species which specializes in raiding and double-dealing[,] and this has similarly tinged their relationship with other species. </font>
      Like the Tholians and (as I recall) the Ferengi, the Aqueons are known of but have never been met. They are known and have been met by local powers, but they have just never been met by Starfleet and therefore are only known by the intrepid Crew in tales and stories told by local races. "Local powers" here btw, is a reference to the Vaque which are well encountered by Starfleet in my series background, but are generally known as liars and nasty no-goodnik types -- not as a source of solid information. Perhaps I should have made this more clear, but these are the notes I have finished thus far for my adventure tomorrow. All the players are likely to get are the descriptions I give the biopods and such information as they uncover along the way.

However Sarge, your basic point about allowing players to name the species or at least the chance to name the species is still a good one despite the fact that they have already been named by another race. I guess that the players should have the opportunity in their own logs and debriefing to name this race, or at least to settle on a name which is different than that which the Vaque use for the same race. I'll let them know they have the choice. It would go something like this after the Away Team was debriefed:

Transcript/ Post briefing Personal Conversation, USS Lockheed Stardate Whatever...

C.O.: Commander, I think that this species bears a resemblance to the Aqueons that the Vaque have been telling our diplomats about at Starbase 146. Shouldn't we use that classification?

X.O: So what if the Vaque have slapped a label on them Captain. Who likes the Vaque anyway? Not only that but I would not want any of the Tall Tales those maroon devils have tried to pass off on the gullible Federation Diplomatic Corps being confused with real facts that starfleet officers gather ourselves in the field. Less confusion really.

C.O: Shades of Vespucci!

X.O: Waldseemüller even.

BTW, The adventure indeed will mark the first encounter with the Aqueons, but is hardly the perfect "first contact" situation. If you want, I shall provide details of what happened after tomorrow.

John D. Lees
    Mad Political Scientist