Thread: Tactical engagement in ST RPG

Tactical engagement in ST RPG

Observe that this is all about "troops", not starships.

How do you narrate tactical engagement in your games?

I've always found that tactical engagements in the series are a bit "unrealistic" (with respect to the paradigm, of course).

Do you keep this "gung ho" style in your games or do you make accomodations for a more "realistic" style? If so, which?

//KJB
    Disclaimer: all subjective statements are just that and not attempts to impose objective reality on anyone, unless otherwise stated.

A mix of both works best. This is TV after all so cinematic rules of combat should apply even if it does become a bit unrealistic. That's my person opinion anyway.

I'm not sure in which book I read it, but I think it has an "anti sensor harness" or somesuch and thought that this would sort of be the minimum for a beliveable tactical engagement.

Then it is the question of cover and phasers- a phaser on high enough setting should burn through most cover. Do you just say "no" to your players and "don't ask" or do you make some sort of accomodation?

//KJB
    Disclaimer: all subjective statements are just that and not attempts to impose objective reality on anyone, unless otherwise stated.

I wing it & keep it really cinematic. Kill off the extras around the lead players, with the occasional danger to them, as well.

One thing, I've never seen pahser blow up 600m square of rock. So a phaser on max setting destroyed a small hill? I use the 23rd C limits on the phaser with the 24th C -- just from experience, military forces like to idiot proof their weapons -- so I could see, even if they were capable of that kind of power -- some kind of regulator to keep some shmoe from cranking the weapon and obliterating a couple of city blocks by accident. Hell, even on overload, they only seem to blow up an area about the size of a small house (about setting 11 or 12).
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by qerlin
    Wing it & keep it really cinematic. Kill off the extras around the lead players, with the occasional danger to them as well.
    Better advice you will not find.

I also use the frequency of "occasional danger" to impress upon players the gravity of the situation. He or she who hesitates to get the hell out of the line of fire, when in over his or her head, gets thumped... sometimes hard.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    I like to use the same rules I used in WEG's Star Wars. The battle is going on all around them, but the PC's always get the special objective (hold off the enemy, take an outpost). Depending on how they do determines the outcome of the battle. The PC's are then responsible for the lives of their comrades. If they don't hold the line, take the bunker or whatever... their comrades will die in droves instead of a few dramatic deaths. Weapons are usually kept at a max of level 8 on phasers and the equivalent on other weapons. They power drain would be a bit much. I suspect that on a futuristic battlefield the ECM and ECCM would be so intense that troops may have to resort to doing some things the old fashioned way. The fancy targeting sensor on the phaser rifle doesn't work and they have to aim the weapon manually or something like that. For large troop engagements, don't roleplay those out. The battle is just the background for whatever the PC's are doing. Create scales of success or failure. For example: The PC's have to hold a pass against the Klingons while the wounded are EVACed to hoppers. If they only hold for five minutes , a lot of the wounded are captured/killed and the PC's won't have an easy time getting out. If they hold for 10 minutes, half of the wounded get out and the PC's have to book it to make it to the last hopper or try to make a stand with the remaining wounded. If they hold for 15 minutes, 75% of the wounded make it out and the PC's can make it to a hopper fairly easily. If they can hold for 20 minutes, all of the wounded are dusted off and the PC's make it out with no problems. If they can hold for any longer, let them have reinforcements show up, or they could have tied of so many Klingon assets that the tide of the main engagement turned in the Federation's favor. Hand out promotions and commendations as appropriate.
    I hope that some if this babble is useful.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick