Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions welcome

Smile Suggestions welcome

Hi! I'm new aboard.
    I'm a narrator running a good TOS series.
    I'm planning to develop a series in the TNG/DS9 era with some characters being the descendants of those of my ongoing TOS campaign.
    I would like to include the Romulans (as hesitant new allies) and the Borg (Real ones, not the Voy types) as main adversaries.
    I would appreciate suggestion by this very creative community.
    My TOS series is now on her Second Season (I play seasons with 26 episodes, just like the TV shows) and will run for another one.
    Our ship is a Constitution class vessel lost in the Typhon sector in 2270s.
    Basically is a Voyager-like concept in a much smaller scale.
    I sent the ship in unexplored space (at the times of TOS) by a resurgence of the Andorian Wormhole.
    We have a full crew, including a beautiful, mysterious alien girl with organic bio-tech devices,of a species created by our group, inspired by the nymph legends.
    I would like the future series to be as innovative as this one.
    Thank you.

------------------
    Resistance is Necessary

What's the condition / status of the ship itself?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Best speed to Gallifrey!
    Commodore Horatio Richard Jaeger
    CO,USS Audacity,NCC-85901

Question

Thank you for having a look at my post, Commodore2.
    What do you mean with ship condition/status?
    Please, specify.

Any chance we could get a species template on this race you guys created?

BTW, welcome aboard sir

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Lexington at;
    http://www.usslexington.net
    =-=-=-=-=-=

Here is the Template for the Kren;

Homeworld
    Aralys was the original home of the Kren species. Aralys was the Krennish name for Earth more than 12.000 years ago.

Home Region or Sovereign Territory
    In the current galactic age the Kren do not have a territory or even an interstellar society.More than 12.000 years ago they were an highly advanced species with various colonies, they were part of of the Consortium of Civilized Worlds. Today (as of 2284)the last Kren outposts rest deep below Earth's oceanic fundals, hiding from humanity.

Suggested Attributes and Edge Ranges

Fitness 2 [5]
    Strenght -1
    Coordination 3 [6]
    Reaction +1
    Intellect 3 [6]
    Perception +1
    Presence 4 [7]
    Empathy +2
    Willpower -2
    Psi 4 [7]
    Range +1
    Focus -1

Special or Unique Abilities
    Kren are highly empathic. They can read the psychic impressions left by other beings on objects or places, though Ferengi, Flaxians, Dopterians, and Borg impressions are closed to them.
    The Kren also emit Pheromones, much like in the way of the Deltans.
    Klingons are immune to Kren pheromones.

Special or Unique skills
    Because Kren technology was highly advanced in bio-engineering (all their devices were organic-based), Kren are good Medicians, researchers, and Genetists.

Size
    Kren are lither and much less heavy than humans.

Traits Common to the Species
    Kren appear as humanoids with acquamarine skin, purple-blue lips, lighteyebrows and purple to pink eyes(the whole eye is colored, not just the irises).

Description
    The Kren species colonized or evolved on Earth more than 60.000 years ago. They wetre an highly advanced culture with technology based on the genetic manipulation of simple living organisms. One respected profession among the Kren was that of the Seeker; a biologist-physician specialized in the search of new lifeforms to be bio-engineered for useful applications. The Seekers roamed unknown space looking for planets inhabited by simple life-forms, then gathered enough informations and samples, and presented them to the Department of Biological Studies for approval.
    the kren were highly empathic and pacifists. Their colonies were completely wiped away about 12.000 years ago by an unknown disaster. What caused this massive catastrophe is unclear. maybe it was the deliberate attack of an enemy species. Maybe it was a devastating disease. Maybe it was a man-made accident. No one knows, and the Kren are not talking. the survivors on Aralys huddled togheter trying to re-build their civilization, but in a different way. They began to hide from the other, more primitive, species of the planet; the humans.
    Around the 14th century they ...............
    ( continues )

Here we are.
    If you like it let me know.
    there are much more templates for species we created in our exploration of the Typhon sector in 2284.

------------------
    Resistance is Necessary

[This message has been edited by Xylor (edited 09-27-2001).]

Question

Hey, Captain Zymmer, stil there?
    I was expecting a critic from you.
    You requested the Template for uor original species in our TOS series, so I did post it.
    If you want more info, just ask.
    Happy to serve.
    I'm very interested in critics on our group works.

------------------
    Resistance is Necessary

Hi and welcome, Xylor. I strongly suspect a lot of people in the group are too busy at the moment discussing about Enterprise (poor me - given how ST is aired in my country, I wonder how many years will pass before I will be given to watch this show )

I would be glad to help you, however, I'm a extremely unexperienced Narrator (only one adventure so far), and I didn't manage to find ideas on your topic so far. I'll be back if I come up with something .
    In the mean time, could you describe a bit what happened in your TOS series exactly, and how exactly will it be linked with the TNG game ?

------------------
    "I perfectly understand your concerns, Captain, and will quietly stay in my quarters until your life threatening problem is solved, without bothering you with the importance of my mission"
    UFP VIP to Enterprise Captain, alternate timeline #0348

What sort of suggestions are you looking for Xylor?

My own group play in both a TNG and a TOS campaign. The TOS campaign serves as a sequel to the TNG one, with our players currently investigating a planetary mystery first encountered by the TOS predecessors.

None of the tng characters are descendents of the TOS ones, but my girlfriend does play a Trill in both settings, same symbiont, different host. It certainly creates an interesting dynamic.

Revisiting old adventures over a century later can be quite a lot of fun. Especially if you have your TOS crew get home eventually, and you could say the TNG crew are the first to revisit the sector, the Federation exploration front only just having reached this area.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO U.S.S. Intrepid. NCC-74600
    http://www.ussintrepid.org.uk

[This message has been edited by Capt Daniel Hunter (edited 09-27-2001).]

Cool

Thank you my European friends for taking an interest on my topic.

To C5; Yes, I agree with you about what keeps the interests high at the moment.
    And I'm on the same boat as you are for what concerns the airing of Star Trek episodes.
    Here, in Italy, we have the same kind of troubles. Luckily, a Pay-per-View network has began transmitting episodes of DS9 and Voyager in original language with Italian captionings.

To Captain Hunter; Your suggestion is most welcome. In fact I was thinking about re-exploring the same sector one hundred years later.
    And yes, our ship is going to return home in the third season finale.
    P.S.; I love Scotland, I had my honeymoon there 7 years ago there.

Smile

To C5.
    My series started in 2270.
    Our crew was chosen to man the experimental re-fit of the USS Defiant on her maiden voyage.

As surely you remember the Constitution class USS Defiant was lost with all hands inside a subspatial pocket in Tholian space ( episode The Tholian Web, TOS ) in 2268.

Four months later it re-appeared without crew in the same spot. It was brought back to Earth to study what had happened to the crew, but scientists found nothing.

Starfleet decided to utilize it as the test-bed for a the experimental systems which would be later installed on the Enterprise.
    Our ship simply had to navigate the known boundaries of the UFP and show the flag, while testing all that stuff.

But an accident happened. I surmised that in the TOS era Starfleet wasn't perfectly aware of the Wormhole phenomena, so when the Defiant entered the Andoria system at warp speed, it re-activated the collapsed Andorian Wormhole.

Immediately the ship was transported to an unknown star system at 10,000 light years from yhe UFP.
    When the ship emerged from the Wormhole it collided with a local alien vessel.
    Unfortunately, these aliens were aggressive by nature and didn't accept our crew apologies.
    They immediately made enemies of them.

From then on, our ship has been engaged in finding a way back home, meeting new friends and new enemies, and having to contend with various technical problems, due to the experimental nature of a lot of the shipboard systems.

By the end of the first season they managed to get nearer to home by the means of an alien transwarp-like conduit, but with an high price. In fact the conduit shortened distances, but also traveled in time, bringing our ship closer to home but 12 years haed in time.

The motive for this dispacement is that my players would like to get back home at the times of Star Trek IV; the Voyage Home, primarily because one of the characters ( the Kren female ) is closely related to the events of that movie.

You could argue that it was simpler to let the crew spend all that time traveling in real space, but my crew didn't want to get back home with 14 years on their shoulders.
    If you are a Narrator you know how intimate become players with their characters.

Anyway, we got nearer home, but gained new enemies, this time a negative version of the Kren, which have a large empire in the area we are currently exploring.

That's all for now, Monsieur Le Capitaine!

Thank you again for your interest.

------------------
    Resistance is Necessary

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xylor:
    Hey, Captain Zymmer, stil there?
    I was expecting a critic from you.
    You requested the Template for uor original species in our TOS series, so I did post it.
    If you want more info, just ask.
    Happy to serve.
    I'm very interested in critics on our group works.
    </font>
    I like them, but I have one question, how do they keep themselves hidden from the Earthlings who have exhausted the exploration of Earth?

Overall Ilike though, and may steal them for my game

------------------
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Visit Star Trek:Lexington at;
    http://www.usslexington.net
    =-=-=-=-=-=

[This message has been edited by Captain Zymmer (edited 09-27-2001).]

Wink

That was the hardest part in our Template, indeed.

Well, our explanation was tipically TOS.
    We like to play in the Original Series as it was portrayed on the TV show.
    Lots of strange aliens with deep connections to our Earth's past ( see Apollo and the Greek Gods, the witches of Pyris, and so on ).

Originally the Kren species was designed for another Role Playing Game ( the now defunct Babylon Project ). We had a lot of fun with that campaign, with a character coming from Earth's mysterious age of Atlantis.
    Those Kren were completely different as we now portray them ( they even had another name for their species ).
    They were completely identical to humans, but had powerful psionic abilities.

When our group decided to start a series in TOS, one of my players ( exactly my wife , who had invented the species ) proposed to re-visit and give a more rational explanation to that Atlantean species.
    I liked the idea and we started re-writing the Atlanteans completely.
    What came out are the actual Kren.

We explained the fact that Humans had never contacted them before in a simple way;
    they can't.
    In fact, we gave the Kren an advanced knowledge in organic technology which allowed them to create tools and devices from very simple life-forms.
    Today, they are no longer able to create very advanced tools, but some of the oldest ones, such as the Biomimetic Morphosymbiotic Cloacks which covers the Kren undersea cities, are still functional after eons of usage.
    The Kren developed advanced cloacking technologies to hide from a powerful enemy who was bent on exterminate their species.

I can't tell you who this enemy was on this post, because some of my players read them too. It is one of the pivotal points in our ongoing campaign.
    In short, the UFP (in the TOS era ) is unable to detect Kren cities.

There is another rationale,too.
    I suspect that humans, after WWIII, were too busy to re-build their civilization than to explore the depths of the sea.
    Later, humanity turned its interests to the stars, the new frontier.
    Then came the Romulan War, the UFP foundation, the Klingons, and the colonization of far planetary colonies.
    Simply put, humans were too busy looking outward to have interest in looking inward.

I know this theory has its holes, but how many of the Star Trek trappings have ones ( the Eugenetic Wars in the 1990s, for example, but we like the character of Khan, so we kept him ).

In short, Captain Zymmer, the most wonderful part in all role-playing games, is that you can create any rationale to give explanations to ancient legends which come true.

One last word; our Kren character has been displaced from her time by unknown means which are central to our campaign plot.
    So, she is the only one of her species known by our crew.
    She thinks that too.
    we liked the idea of a melanchonic character saddened by the thought that her civilization lies now only in fairy-tales of these new sons of Aralys (Earth).
    Every Star Trek show has its "ALIEN" carachter.
    TOS had Spock.
    TNG had Data.
    DS9 had Odo.
    And Voy had The Holodoctor.
    In some ways these were all unique beings which were meant to explore what it means to be Human.
    That's way I love Naipal ( our Kren castaway ), she is useful to play counterpart with the more "common" characters.

Sorry, for the long explanation, but there is some Kender's blood in me ( the fantasy small folk from Dragonlance ) which keeps me becoming logorroic.

Thank you for your appreciation of our work, and I really hope you will enjoy our hidden folk in your games, even in a different way.

Now, can someone give me some input for our future campaign in the TNG era?
    If not, no problem, I really like having the honor to respond to your questions about my current campaign on this very friendly forums site.

------------------
    Resistance is Necessary

Lightbulb

Do you intent to start the TNG series before having finished the TOS one, or do you plan to start the TNG only once the TOS is over?

Because if you plan to play both campaigns simultaneously for a while, I have a rather nasty idea, but it depends on what you have in mind, of course...
    The TNG players could find the sector much changed from what they met in TOS (a whole planet with no life anymore, or, more subtle, a small colony whose members seem alien to this region) - and they wouldn't really know if this is the cause of their ancestor's actions or if it happened later. And you could keep that secret as long as the TOS series hasn't ended (that way, you can modify the cause of the change accordingly).

A rather twisted idea, I agree, but I have a very twisted mind...

------------------
    "I perfectly understand your concerns, Captain, and will quietly stay in my quarters until your life threatening problem is solved, without bothering you with the importance of my mission"
    UFP VIP to Enterprise Captain, alternate timeline #0348

My question would be is this a new ship for the characters, or is it a "hand me down"?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Best speed to Gallifrey!
    Commodore Horatio Richard Jaeger
    CO,USS Audacity, NCC-85901

Thumbs up

Hey,C5, that is really a fantastic idea!!
    It could be very interesting to play both series simultaneously.
    I'gonna check it with my players group.

To Commodore2;
    The ship in the TOS series is the re-fit of the USS Defiant. You can read its background story and how it became embroided in our exploration series on one of my veeeeery looooong posts somewhere up.

The ship in the TNG series should not be a ship at all. We were planning to play on Deep Space 5, the tactical defense station in Typhon sector.
    You see, our ship, in the TOS series, explored, even if unwillingly, the Typhon sector.
    So, our new series should be set almost one hundred years later in the same area.
    For a change of setting we would like to play on a starbase.
    Deep Space 5 looks interesting enough.

Thank you for enquiring.

------------------
    Resistance is Necessary