Thread: Coda_Starships Velk'Nar-class Heavy Cruiser

Coda_Starships Velk'Nar-class Heavy Cruiser

well I thought I'd try the new system so...

PRODUCTION DATA

Origin: Klingon Empire
    Class and Type: Velk'Nar Heavy Cruiser
    Year Launched: 2371

HULL DATA

Structure: 40
    Size/Decks: 7/20
    Length/Height/Beam : 422/104/325
    Complement: 840

OPERATIONAL DATA

Transporters: 3 standard, 3 emergency
    Cargo Units: 70
    Shuttlebay: 1 AD
    Shuttlecraft: 7 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 AV
    Separation Sytem: No
    Cloaking Device: Class 3 (rating 20)
    Sensor System: Class 3a (+3/CC)
    Operations System: Class 3 (D)
    Life Support: Class 4 (E)

PROPULSION DATA

Impulse System: K-HEU-6 (0.9/D)
    Warp System: STN-7 (warp 6/8/9) (D)

TACTICAL DATA

Beam Weapon: KGDM-4 (x5/D)
    Penetration: 5/5/4/0/0
    Missile Weapon: KP-8 (x3/D)
    Penetration: 6/6/6/6/6
    Deflector Shield: CIDSS-3
    Protection/Treshold: 15/3 (C)

MISCELLANEOUS DATA

Maneuver Modifiers: +1C, +1H, +3T

Traits : hardened system (propulsion)

Features

The Velk'Nar class heavy cruiser is part of the latest generation of Klingon ships. The ship's designers put the priority on weapon systems, notably photon torpedo launchers. As such the Velk'Nar is often referred to as a "torpedo cruiser". The Klingon High Command wanted a ship that could engage enemy units from a stand-off distance and thusly bolster fleet formations. That it achieves at some survivability costs, as the Velk'Nar is not as tough as its 'cousin' the Vor'Cha. However for a ship its size the Velk'Nar is reasonably fast and even quite manoeuvrable. This class of ship was developped in fair numbers during the Dominion War and it enjoyed instantaneous popularity with captains and crews.

Design Notes

The thing I noticed with 'Starships' is that Klingon ships are built very tough, with a lot of extra structure and hardened systems but they seem to be wanting in the firepower departement, especially torpedo strength. I figure that the concept might be that the Klingons play the numbers and rush in: they have tons of ships that are can take quite a dishing but the downside is that they have less firepower and more crude systems. So I figured that I could design a ship that would fit in a support role and so it would be more specialized. I made it relatively more fragile but I gave it a good boost in the torpedo dept, but I also wanted a big ship that wouldn't handle itself like a tub full of water, hence the +1 helm bonus. Lastly I picture the ship to be like the Feklhr in the Activision computer games.
    Last edited by Snake_Plissken; 04-20-2003 at 10:14 PM.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Nice concept, Snake. However, I wonder if the Klingons would consider a "stand-off" weapon as less than honorable, since you are attacking your enemy at little risk to yourself.

I certainly see this vessel's role as "support only," with the crews of other Klingon ships looking down upon the crews of the Velk'Nars for stealing their kills from a distance...
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

well when Dr Bashir remarked that it wasn't very honorable for Klingons to lie in wait cloaked waiting to raid rescuing parties Worf answered that "there is nothing more honorable than victory". I guess the Klingons are not as naive as a lot of people try to make them- they're big talkers about 'honor' but the deadly rules of space warfare gives them a good dose of reality. Especially when the odds are badly stacked against them such as in the Dominion War. I would think that Klingons would have been the last power in the galaxy to use such a "cowardly device" as cloaks but even the chancellor's flagship sports one (!).

The Velk'Nar is more fragile than the Vor'Cha but it is still above-average in the survivability dept. Coupled with its positive helm modifier nothing precludes it from firing a few torps at long range to soften-up the enemy than join the fun with the rest of the fleet at close range.