Thread: [CODA-SS] Norexan-class Heavy Warbird (Valdore from Nemesis)

[CODA-SS] Norexan-class Heavy Warbird (Valdore from Nemesis)

PRODUCTION DATA

Origin: Romulan Star Empire
    Class and Type: Norexan Heavy (Attack) Warbird
    Year Launched: 2375

HULL DATA

Structure: 50 (5 ablative armor)
    Size/Decks: 9/30
    Length/Height/Beam : 604/137/908
    Complement: 900

OPERATIONAL DATA

Transporters: 8 standard, 8 emergency
    Cargo Units: 90
    Shuttlebay: 1 AD
    Shuttlecraft: 9 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 FV, 1 AV
    Separation Sytem: None
    Cloaking Device: Class 5 (rating 26)
    Sensor System: Class 4 (+4/E)
    Operations System: Class 4 (E)
    Life Support: Class 4 (E)

PROPULSION DATA

Impulse System: Class 4A (0.92c) (CC)
    Warp System: Type 5C5 (warp 5/8/9.2) (CC)

TACTICAL DATA

Beam Weapon: RPFD-5 (x5/F)
    Penetration: 7/7/6/0/0
    Missile Weapon: RPT-8 (x2/F)
    Penetration: 9/8/7/6/5
    Deflector Shield: FSR-2
    Protection/Treshold: 17/5

MISCELLANEOUS DATA

Maneuver Modifiers: +2C, +1H, +3T

Traits : enhanced system (cloaking device); ablative armor; design defect (transporters)

Notes:

The Norexan-class heavy warbird represents a new shift in Romulan ship design. The concept for the Norexan, based on the work done for the D'Deridex-class, was borne out of the experiences of the Taurhai conflict. But expedient changes were made to the design to reflect the changing threat of the Doiminion fleet. While the Romulans declared themselves neutral and let Starfleet and the Klingon fleet bear the brunt of the fighting, the Romulan fleet high command knew that conflict with the Dominion was inevitable and thus the Norexan prototype was finalized, went into trial and then large-scale construction began. The Norexan was not intended to replace the D'Deridex but to complement it. The D'deridex is considered to be more of an all-purpose capital ship, with extensive cargo and shuttlebay facilities, and several tractor beams. The Norexan was built with the narrow focus of combat. It trades some beam firepower for much improved plasma torpedo power, making it very deadly at close range. While it doesn't have the structural strength of the huge D'Deridex the Norexan sports improved shielding and the Romulan equivalent of ablative armor. The Romulan armor is made of very thin layers of energy points that cover the most vulnerable and vital systems hull, acting much like tiny focused shields. The system is still experimental, and it has been found that it sometimes interferes with transporter operations, probably due to the fact that the 'armor' is energy-based. The Norexan is also equipped with the most advanced cloaking device ever devised by the Romulans. That cloaking device is much better at hiding the usual tell-tale signs of the previous models.
    Last edited by Snake_Plissken; 04-21-2003 at 10:59 PM.

Way cool. I realy liked this design; this seems to be a pretty accurate version.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Very nice job.Looks official enough.I wish my game's timeline was further down the road so I could throw it at my players!
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Smile

thanks!

I like it! Not sure about the ablative armor, but I like it! Hmm, one of these could destroy a Jem'Hadar attack ship at point blank range. I think that this is an outstanding design.

Not sure about the ablative armor
    in terms of rules it works exactly like AA but it isn't AA per se. I figured it would be more like a mini-shielding system that covers specific spots on the ship, like sensors, life support, weapons, etc. Since the main benefit of AA is to have extra structural strength without triggering a system damage roll I thought that the "mini-shield" concept fit nicely with the AA rules.

...and thanks!

I love the mini shield concept, hmm, I'll use that for my special Vorta that I'm planning on using (take the best Breen, Cardassian and Dominion technology, mix well).

Hey, love the design, but I was wondering: doesn't this go beyond the space constraints a little? Reason I asked is I built a Norexan and it wasn't as powerful as this design. I went ahead and tallied up the space spent on your version, and came up with a figure of 161 pts. of space? Is my math off?

--Mac

*edit for spelling
    Last edited by Mac417; 04-21-2003 at 04:38 PM.

I redid the math and I miscalculated the cloak costs for both the Norexan and the Scimitar (did base + half size instead of base + size). The Scimitar doesn't need to be changed since it has plenty of space left but I found that I was 8 pts over (149 when the limit was 141) for the Norexan- remember it was built according to the new Starship guidelines.

So I downgraded a notch the sensor and life support systems and I added a flaw (design defect-transporters) that wasn't too vital in combat. It should now balance pt per pt at 141.

By the way I always give myself a "freebie" margin of 5 space units whenever I design a ship, so not all of the designs I post balance out exactly. OTOH I often try not to "max out" space; in other words I'm not always trying to cram the best stuff in a ship.