Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Snake's Starship Building Tutorial

Uncle Snake's Starship Building Tutorial

I've read several times that some people's world has literaly stopped to turn because Decipher, in all their inherent evilness, have not yet published some canon design...(never mind that Starship contains THE MAIN - I repeat 'MAIN'- ST ships from all the series and movies)... how could they they commit such blasphemy?

It seems the fact that you can actually build (yes it can be done!) your own designs has eluded some people.

But fear not! Uncle Snake will take your hand through the process and show you how to build a ship.

Uncle Snake has decided to build a canon ship, the New Orleans class.

FIrst of all you will need the following:

-the Starship supplement
    -the Narrator's Guide
    -a calculator
    -a pen and some paper
    -preferably a copy of LUG Spacedock with the appropriate SRM (ship recognition manual) and access to canon sources like the ST encyclopedia
    -and finally a good dose of courage

The first step is to decide what is the purpose of the New Orleans? What do we know about it? It has only appeared once in the Wolf 359 battle in 'The Best of Both Worlds'. There doesn't seem to be much canon reference to the ship so we'll have to go along speculation. So we turn to the first Spacedock SRM and see what it says. SD says that it is a combat-oriented ship, being designed during a time of tension with the Cardassian Union, and it is equipped with a large complement of torpedo launchers. It also seems to have good shields. But then you ask: if the New Orleans was such a kick-ass ship, why did Starfleet feel the urge of fielding new combat-oriented designs like the Akira, Steamrunner or Norway? Good question, but you have to remember that while the SD supplement is great to get some hard facts, it often looks like a group effort where the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing (yes boys and girls, Uncle is being very polite). So we decide to take the middle of the road and make the New Orleans a tough ship, but without bells and whistles like ablative armor or quantum torpedoes. So the NO is a ship built using existing, time-proven components.

So by looking at the dimensions we can see that the NO is a size 6 ship. It is also supposed to be a Frigate. Now you pull out your copy of the NG and you look at table 9.1; you can see that only ships sizes 3-5 can be 'frigates' so you decide to make the NO a 'heavy frigate' (since a FFH can be sizes 4-7). Then you look at table 1.3 in 'Starship' (which shall hereafter be referred to as 'SS'). You now realize that the NO's beam and height belong in the Size 7 category, while the length is Size 6. The rule of thumb is that if 2 out of the 3 dimensions belong to a category then you go along that size category. But the beam and height are definitely in the lower range of the Size 7 bracket. So you decide that the NO is a big tough ship and you go along with size 7. Table 1.3 indicates that a size 7 ship has 99 pts of space to spend and has a starting structure at 35.

Now you have to decide what kind of systems the NO has. Since it is supposed to be a tough ship you decide that weapons and shields will be prioritized, and the systems will have above-average reliability codes. You theorized that the NO was meant to fight Cardassian ships which don't have cloaks so you won't give the NO exceptional sensor capabilities. You then look at the other ships published in SS and try to 'size' the NO's capabilities to what you see. You look at the Ambassador and the Excelsior. You see that both have a single shuttlebay, both have Class 2 sensors and 2 tractor beams. The Ambassador has 2 allotments of transporters while the Excelsior has only 1 (which should be 3, not 4). The Excelsior has more reliable propulsion, ops and life support systems (if you take the uprated version).

So the NO has 70 cargo units (7 x 10); you decide that you want more shuttlebays so that the NO can also act as a fast-response ship equipped for ground support ops so you give it 2 shuttle bays (2 A), giving the NO the capacity to carry 14 size worth of shuttles. Also for that reason you give double the # of transporters to 6 of each type at an extra cost of 1. You only give it one tractor beam however (1 FV). So far you have spent 5 space pts (for the shuttlebays and transporters)

Next, you have to allocate sensors, life support and ops systems. As decided you give to the NO average sensors but you decide to make them a little bit durable but less reliable, so you pick Class 2a sensors (+2/BB) on table 1.7 at a cost of 3 space pts. Then you decide to put durable LS and OPS systems and you choose from table 1.6 both Class 3R systems (with a DD rating at space cost 8: 7/2 = 3.5 rounded down to 3 plus the 5 base pt cost) for a total LS + OPS cost at 16. So far you've spent 23 space costs, 76 remain.

You then have to pick impulse and warp engines. You want the NO to be fairly fast and have a propulsion reliability close to the Excelsior's. So you pick on table 1.10 the FIG-4 impulse system at a cost of 5 pts of space. That system is rated at 0.9c and has a reliability rating of D. You also made sure so far that all component availability dates match. The NO was comissioned in 2358 so so far so good. You then pick the LF-41 warp engines at a cost of 5 space also and a reliability rating of D, which gives the NO an aggregate propulsion reliability of D. You could have picked the LF-35 engine but you decide not to overdo it and that a top warp speed of 9.6 is enough.

Weapons! All right, if you want to kick spoonhead arse you'll need weapons. You feel that 'Type IX' phasers sounds good so that's what you pick. You aim for a beam penetration value of 5/5/4/0/0, 2 notches down from the Galaxy and the Ambassador, and one notch below the Excelsior. Remember, we think that the NO is more torpedo-heavy so that's where we'll put the bacon. Table 1.15 says that a Type IX phaser costs 6 pts of space (-1 because of the 'heavy' designation') and we need 3 of those, so the total cost is 15 (6-1 x 3). The Offensive Value (OV) is 9 per phaser so 3 x 9 = 27. You consult table 1.18 and you look at the beam penetration column and you see that at 5/5/4/0/0 penentration you need a beam OV of 25-34. So at 27 you're fine. Now let's do torpedoes. We pick the MK 60 DF launcher (we don't want to be able to fire quantum torps, this is supposed to be an 'old school' ship remember). The MK 60 DF has an OV of 7 and you aim for an above-average torpedo penetration of 6/6/6/6/6. So you look up table 1.18 in the photon penetration column and you see that in order to have a penetration of 6/6/6/6/6 you need to be within the 25-34 bracket. So you need 4 launchers (7 OV x 4 = 28, which is within 25-34). Each launcher costs 5 space for a total cost of 20 space pts. You then look at the combined OVs for phasers and torpedoes and you see that it's 55, which is within table 1.18's 45-59 bracket, giving an aggregate weapon reliability of D. You now have 30 pts left.

The final system you have to pick are the shields. You want strong shields but nothing cutting edge. You pick the FSQ system on table 1.19 at a base cost of 11. The FSQ's base protection rating is 17 and you start at 2 treshold pts. You decide to max out the treshold at 4 but you want to lower the protection value so you give the Prototype- defensive system flaw -1 protection (table 1.25). You look up again the shield table 1.19 and you see that the system preceding the FSQ is the CIDSS-4 with a protection rating of 16. So the NO has shields at 16/4, with a reliability rating of D.

The last thing you now have to do is to attribute the maneuver modifiers, whose table can be found in the NG (table 9.14). You see that a frigate has a base of 0 in each category (C,H,T) with a max of 2 for each. The NO is size 7, so you get 5 pts to spend (7/2 = 3.5 rounded up = 4 + 1 = 5). You decide to max out the C and T modifiers and give the reminder to H, giving: +2C, +1H, +2H. You then decide to give the NO the Battle Tested edge because you think that it saw a lot of action in a relatively short period of time, giving a final +3T modifier.

And voila! You have a nifty New Orleans-class Heavy Frigate. But some will ask: Uncle Snake, there were a total of 99 space pts to be spent and there are 17 remaining. Surely that can be used to buy more systems, make the ship tougher or buy tons of new edges, no? Well, boys and girls, no. You have to resist the temptation to overdo it. The NO is supposed to be a tough ship but not a super ship, it must have limits somewhere. Also remember that we first thought of making it a size 6 in the first place, so some tradoff for being a size 7 had to be considered. It is not because you can do a thing that you must do that thing (shameless ST quote here)

so here it is :

PRODUCTION DATA

Origin: United Federation of Planets
    Class and Type: New Orleans-class Heavy Frigate
    Year Launched: 2358

HULL DATA

Structure: 35
    Size/Decks: 7/20
    Length/Height/Beam : 361/83/259
    Complement: 758

OPERATIONAL DATA

Transporters: 6 standard, 6 emergency
    Cargo Units: 70
    Shuttlebay: 2 A
    Shuttlecraft: 14 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 FV
    Sensor System: Class 2A (+2/BB)
    Operations System: Class 3R (DD)
    Life Support: Class 3R (DD)

PROPULSION DATA

Impulse System: FIG-4 (0.9c) (D)
    Warp System: LF-41 (warp 6/9.2/9.6) (D)

TACTICAL DATA

Beam Weapon: Type IX (x3/D)
    Penetration: 5/4/4/0/0
    Missile Weapon: Mk 60 DF (x4/D)
    Penetration: 6/6/6/6/6
    Deflector Shield: FSQ (D)
    Protection/Treshold: 16/4

MISCELLANEOUS DATA

Maneuver Modifiers: +2C, +1H, +3T

Traits : Battle tested; prototype (defensive system -1 protection)

but...but...but...it's not official unless someone from Decipher writes 'em up!

Honestly, the New Orleans looks good. Kudos to Sea Tyger, too, who has been busily build just about every possible game/canon/imagined starship he can.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Talking

She looks good to me. I didn't realize some people had such problem building starships though. Building starships is easy. Reading Klingon, thats hard. Anyway building crossover ships from other sci-fi universes is a challenge. I've built everything from Battlestar Galactica to the Andromeda Assendent. Babylon 5 ships were the most fun. But heck theses rules make it easy and fun. i even did the Jupiter 2 (both versions) for the hell of it. I use them mostly as either alien ship encounters or as background extras at the local spaceport. Decipher has made these rules SO easy to use they must be following the Vulcan IDIC.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

Talking

She looks good to me. I didn't realize some people had such problem building starships though. Building starships is easy. Reading Klingon, thats hard. Anyway building crossover ships from other sci-fi universes is a challenge. I've built everything from Battlestar Galactica to the Andromeda Assendent. Babylon 5 ships were the most fun. But heck theses rules make it easy and fun. i even did the Jupiter 2 (both versions) for the hell of it. I use them mostly as either alien ship encounters or as background extras at the local spaceport. Decipher has made these rules SO easy to use they must be following the Vulcan IDIC.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

Nice tutorial. I think I'm gonna need to copy/paste it and read it, so that I can make certain I get things right on my own designs for when I post them up here for critique.

Alas, my only problem is getting Spacedock. Since I'm stuck with local county library for computer access, I'm at a loss... mostly because not a single computer here has any sort of WinZip utility. Is there any place where I can download it and print it out, without having to worry about .zip format, or am I doomed to a lack of Spacedock for all time?

At least I have both editions of the ST Encyclopedia and the ST Chronology to semi-help me out, but nabbing Spacedock would be better.
    "Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong." -- Dennis Miller

Nice writeup Snake!

I think i have to agree with you on how you've spent the points and another main point about spending all the points the ship has is that it means you can't spend any more should you want to make a customised version, or develop it during game play (Players always love new toys!)

Gabe - While the Spacedock manual is a hugelly useful source of information for writing these ships up, it's pretty much not needed, as there are several other resources available onine with simmilar depth and Acuracy - http://www.ditl.org/ being my favourite.
    Ta Muchly

Lovely. But IMO since were looking for a tough ship, and we have all that space to spare I would have traded off 5 space for 5 structure. Call it reinforced bulkheads. Again not the whole 15 tht could be spent, but just enough to show that it's tougher than another size 7 starship.
    Ware and were friends....

-Greeting amongst the Woodsman of the Gnarley Forest

Toughness in the CODA system comes in several forms, not just structrural strength. THE most important stat defensive-wise, and by far, is the shield's treshold rating, followed by the shield's protection. In this case the treshold is 4, which is quite strong for a mid-TNG era ship- and the protection is set at 16- not bad. Then you have the reliability/durability codes for the systems. There's little point in having 100 pts of structure if all your systems are rated 'A'. In this case critical systems like life support and ops have a double-D rating, giving them above-average sturdiness. Then all of the other systems (weapons, propulsion and shields) have a rating of 'D', which is pretty good.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Oh, Don't get me wrong....I can already see how durable the build of the ship is as you have written it. I am very aware of how to determine "toughness" of a ship in CODA. I love the system.

What I meant was, structurally more robust than other size 7 vessles. Befitting what we know of the New Orleans class.

I don't believe adding an extra row of damage boxes is going over the top however. The added protection really comes into play in those circumstances where the shields have already been battered down by a few well placed weapons spreads. Which would be the tactic that would have to be employed against this vessle.

So in conclusion the vessle as written is very tough. With the redundant systems you've implemented means it'll be tough to bring down. However, I still feel that with a bolstered superstructure the vessle would be the pride of the Cardassian war era task force. A dreadnaught similar to Earths WW1 era Frigates, but still not a super ship.

In any and all cases. Well done. The tutorial should prove very useful to anyone who's been in search of one.

Good Gaming!

Bravo Unca'Snake

Can we go get ice cream now?

Great ship sir, very well done.

Though I do agree with GnarleyWoodsman, the extra damage boxes would really make it a standout vessel... And tougher than 5 cent jerky!

But that's the beauty of this design, I can do it if I want without having to lose anyone of the excellent design you have already worked in

Does that mean that the New Orleans-class is, to slightly mis-quote Riker, a "tough big ship"? (Yes, I like First Contact, and Nemesis also... I think they're the best TNG-era Star Trek movies).

Tobian: Thanks for giving me the heads-up on http://www.ditl.org/. You're right, that is a good Web site for Trek stuff. I just wanted to try and nab a copy of Spacedock for my own personal use, but everyone seems to have it solely in .zip format, and since my only access is via the county library and they don't have WinZip or anything of the sort, I'm outta luck in that regard. But that Web site is still quite a marvel.

The problem with the Spacedock book is it's very large (not that I'm criticising, the content is fantastic!) and if it was delivered as a PDF it would be considerably larger than it is now - so how on earth you could get it off your local library computer on a flopy disk I don't know (Ok they might have a Zip drive or CDR/W - but that's likelly rare!) - I seem to recall (without looking) it was in the order of 10 MB uncompressed!

I'm not really sure what to suggest either, as we couldn't post up chunks of it up here - as it would be in breach of copyright!

I'm assuming here you have no computer at home to take it to?

Sorry that's not much help!
    Ta Muchly

Sort of... there is a computer at home, but I don't like having my mom standing over my shoulder, since it's her computer and she's one of the "role-playing is of the devil" types... *shakes his head slowly*

Actually, my plan had been to open it from whatever site I could, and print it out on the printer here at the library. Slightly expensive, but I figured it might be worth it. Ah well, I'll cope.

You do know it's some 200 odd pages !

EEK!
    Ta Muchly

Gabe-

Check out this -[Dungeons_and_Dragons].mp3]link when you get a chance. You'll get a kick outta it.

I was lucky. My mother encouraged me to play RPG's. Brought home the Deluxe 2E Star Trek RPG by Fasa when I was ten. Been playing D&D since I was 5.