Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambassador Class for CODA?

Ambassador Class for CODA?

Has anyone done this badboy up?

Thanks in advance.

I am stoopid

Just flipped through my SOM and my copy of Starships and alas there she was.

Nothing to see here, move along

*chuckle* Late night Aslan?

Regards,
    CKV.

More like a late week

Now that you've found her, perhaps you could make a re-fitted version...not that there's anything wrong with it in the first place.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

not that there's anything wrong with it in the first place.
    overarmed is a word that comes to mind. Also I think there's some sort of typo with her maneuver modifiers.

She is dishes out more damage than the Negvar or the Vorcha.

I think Snake is right, she is very overarmed.

Or am I crazy?

She is dishes out more damage than the Negvar or the Vorcha.
    she can, as Cartman would put it, kick the Negh'Var straight in the nuts and then some. It's not so much as the Ambassador being overarmed as the Klingon ships being very undergunned. But I think that the concept for Klingon ships in Starship is that they have numbers over quality, and that Klingon ships are very durable. Also they have cloaking devices, which Starfleet doesn't.

Might as well add that I find the D'Deridex overarmed as well.
    Last edited by Snake_Plissken; 05-22-2003 at 02:32 PM.

Originally posted by AslanC
    I think Snake is right, she is very overarmed.

Or am I crazy?
    No, I don' think you are.

IMO what would be about right for the Ambassador would be a phaser penetration of 5/5/4/0/0 and photon penetration of 5/5/5/5/5 for the 2322 version.

If you want to use an Ambassador after the TNG/DS9 era I would suggest an update (ca. 2360) to:
    EITHER the weapon systems, increasing penetration to 6/5/5/0/0 for phasers and/or 6/6/6/6/6 for photons,
    OR operations and sensors systems and maybe the warp system.

The former would turn the Ambassador into a ship well suited for defensive missions (low warp speed, but good firepower), while the later would allow the ship to better fit into the exploration role.
    A weapon upgrade sounds more logical to me, as during the early 2360s the exploration and frontier defense roles were taken over more and more by newer classes like the Nebula AFAICT.

Throwing a shield upgrade in with either update would seem reasonable as well (use Prototype to bring protection to 16 or Max. Threshold to 4).

BTW, Snake, looks like you are right about the maneuver modifiers. I think it should be +2 T instead of -2.

An alternative Ambassador-class

Okay, here's something that looks reasonable to me, but I'd like to hear what you fellas think:

Ambassador-class Heavy Cruiser (2322)

Structure: 40 <5 spaces>
    Size: 7 (Why SS says its size 8 is beyond me.) <93 of 99 spaces used>

Atmosphere capable: No
    Cargo Units: 100 <6>
    Life Support: Class 2R (CC) <7>
    Operations System: Class 2R (CC) <7>
    Sensor Systems: Class 3a (+3/+2/+1/0/0) (CC) <4>
    Separation System: No
    Shuttlebay: 1 aft
    Shuttlecraft: 18 Size worth <6>
    Tractor Beams: 1av, 1fd <1>
    Transporters: 6 standard, 6 emergency <1>

Impulse System: FIB-3: .75c (D) <2>
    Warp System: LF-10 (5/7/9) (D) <10>*

Phasers: Type VIII (x4) (D) <16>
    Phaser Penetration: 5/5/4/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: Mk 60 DF (x3) (D) <12>
    Photon Penetration: 5/5/5/5/5
    Deflector Shield: CIDSS-3 (C) <11>
    Protection/Threshold: 15/3

Maneuver Modifiers: C+2, H+1, T+2

Traits: <5, as prototype is included in warp costs>
    Hardened System (Shields), Prototype (Warp, +1 speed, +1 reliability)

* Includes: 2 spaces early availability and Prototype +1 (speed) and Prototype +1 (reliability)

Originally posted by AslanC
    More like a late week
    I am quite familiar with those. They can either suck or be highly amusing.

Regards.
    CKV.

I don't have either book handy but how does the Ambassador's maneuvers stack against the D'deridex as we know that it is far more maneuverable then the Warbird from statements made in "Yesterday's Enterprise".

Looks pretty sweet Lancer My players refuse to play after the Khitomer accords or i'd use it. It's one of my favorite designs.

One question I have is fow did you get 18 size of shuttles for 6 points? I know for my Galaxy class i gave it 62 size worth of shuttles. But I also wasn't worrying about costs.

CKV, I don't recall any mention of the D'Deridex in 'Yesterday's Enterprise'; maybe they just used the term 'warbird' for another Romulan ship. I could be wrong though. BTW personally I prefer LUG's comissioning date for the D'deridex which was 2349.

Lancer, nice design! And you're right regarding the size 8 issue; according to the rules it should be a S7- its length and beam are within the S7 range- only the height is S8. Also in the book the height and the beam values are mistakingly interchanged. Every time I look closely at a design I discover new mistakes and typos. Decipher should really think about proof-reading their products correctly in the future... anyways going back to the Ambassador: as it stands this version isn't as powerful as the Excelsior presented in Starship- so maybe Lancer you should do a 'rescaled' version of the Excelsior. That would be nice! BTW if you ask me I'd consider the upgraded version of the Galaxy the standard one; ie the Enterprise-D from TNG was always in my book the 'upgraded' version, with the 17/4 (E) shields and the 6/6/6/6/6 torpedoes.

It was mentioned that the Enterprise faced off against several "Warbirds" at the Battle of Nerendra, nothing more specific then that. I think they may have just used the term "Warbird" to differ from the BoP, which in TNG was pretty much a Klingon term. But, who knows.