Thread: [Coda Starships] Minor Tweaks for Klingon Ships

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

[Coda Starships] Minor Tweaks for Klingon Ships

Whilst talking with Snake and Aslan last night in the IRC chat room, I finally realized that the Klingon ships were definitely off-target, as far as my view of the ships goes. So, being me, I took it upon myself to tighten the designs up a bit for the Negh'var, B'rel/K'vort, D7/K'tinga and Vor'cha classes.

B'rel Class Modifications

The B'rel, for the most part, looks fine; however, the warp drive and cloaking device were not available when the class first launched.

For a pre-2310 B'rel, replace the Class 3 cloaking device with a class 2, and replace the STN6 warp drive with a STN5.

K'vort Class Modifications

I personally think the K-GDM-2 (x2) disruptors entry on the K'vort is a typo. Remove and replace them with 4 K-GDM-3 disruptors. This provides a penetration of 4/4/4/0/0 and a weapon reliability of B.

As with the B'rel, use a Class 2 cloaking device and STN5 warp drive for a pre-2310 K'vort.

D7 Class Modifications

I have to say that I'm a little confused by the 2150 reference for the D7's original launch date. That aside, the design looks mostly sound.

However, I'd recommend replacing the KP-2A (x1) torpedo with the KP-5 (x1, 2/2/2/2/0, B) for all D7s encountered after 2250.

K'tinga Class Modifications

The K'tinga seems to have fallen into the same trap as the K'vort, with K-GDM-2 (x2) disruptors. Replace the K-GDM-2s with K-GDM-4 (x4) disruptors. This provides a 4/4/4/0/0 penetration, with a weapon reliability of (C).

Vor'cha Class Modifications

The use of a 150-year-old disruptor design on the Vor'cha really makes no sense, especially since there are much more efficient weapons available to the Klingons in 2362.

Replace the K-GDM-3 (x8) with the K-GDM-4 (x6). This increases beam penetration to 6/6/6/0/0. Also, reduce structure to 40 and add an additional KP-6 torpedo. This increases torpedo penetration to 5/5/5/5/5, and overall weapon reliability to (D).

Negh'var Class Modifications

The way the Negh'var was built, it was a full 12 points under space. While I understand that you don't have to use the full space allotment for a vessel, there is a legitimate trend to do so for mid-to-late 24th Century ships.

The Negh'var also suffers from the 150-year-old disruptor issue, and it makes no sense for the most fearsome Klingon warship to short itself like that, when much more modern and efficient weapons are available.

Remove the K-GDM-3 (x10) and replace with the K-GDM-5 (x5). This improves beam penetration to 7/7/6/0/0. Add the KP-6 (x2) torpedo to the ship's arsenal, improving torpedo penetration to 7/7/7/7/7 and overall weapon reliability to (E).

Further, Snake found the Negh'var's shield threshold to be too low, and I nominally agree.

Increase the shield threshold rating to 17/4, and compensate by adding the prototype flaws sensors (-2 reliability) and life support (-2 reliability).

That should take care of most of the undergunned issues with Klingon designs.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I have to say that I'm a little confused by the 2150 reference for the D7's original launch date. That aside, the design looks mostly sound.
    That's Enterpise - the first time we see a klingon ship (EP: Sleeping dogs I think) it looks like a D7 - I guess they hadn't got the CGI model ready for a new ship in time.

All in all, pretty lame.

Later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Thumbs up

Now that's more like it!

I heartily agree, I think you've got things a bit more up to to snuff, except in the case of the torpedo stats. It always seemed to me that Klingon torpedoes were a bit larger and more powerful than the average photon (especially in the case of the K't'inga battlecruiser; in TMP it looked like they could mess-up a Connie in a hurry with just the photon torpedoes...in TWOK, during the Kobayashi Maru scene, they did). What tweaks can be made to bring these weapons up to snuff?
    Can I have some Amy Jo Johnson, mama?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    darkwingone@hotmail.com
    gameshowman@winning.com

especially in the case of the K't'inga battlecruiser; in TMP it looked like they could mess-up a Connie in a hurry with just the photon torpedoes
    How so? They only fired torps at V'ger.

in TWOK, during the Kobayashi Maru scene, they did
    That's because they ganged up 3 on 1 on the Enterprise. Besides, you're not supposed to win the scenario anyways

The Negh'Var and the Vor'Cha have a very high number of disruptors (20 and 18 respectively and each with a large disruptor cannon)- so I'd think that the stats should reflect that. Also, there's only so much space to accomodate all of the changes.

I says:
    especially in the case of the K't'inga battlecruiser; in TMP it looked like they could mess-up a Connie in a hurry with just the photon torpedoes
    Snake says:
    How so? They only fired torps at V'ger.
    My response: Call me mad as a hatter, but that ONE launcher on the bow of the K't'inga looks to be about twice the size as one of the Connie refit's launchers. I'd say that with a larger launcher, you usually get larger torpedoes; larger torpedoes, larger warhead. Slippery slope logic, sure, but it makes sense.

Then I says:
    in TWOK, during the Kobayashi Maru scene, they did
    Then Snake says:
    That's because they ganged up 3 on 1 on the Enterprise. Besides, you're not supposed to win the scenario anyways
    My response: good point. But then, we only see one cruiser fire her weapons.

In any case, you guys have the issues with the Vor'cha and Negh'Var sewed up, it's the K't'inga I'm being whiny about.
    Can I have some Amy Jo Johnson, mama?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    darkwingone@hotmail.com
    gameshowman@winning.com

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Game Show Man
    In any case, you guys have the issues with the Vor'cha and Negh'Var sewed up, it's the K't'inga I'm being whiny about.
    Well, the problem with doing anything else with the K'tinga is that there isn't enough space to upgrade any further without sacrificing other systems.

After consulting with Snake, I decided that the additional disruptors were more important than a torpedo upgrade.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Cool

Yup, this is just what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggested tweaks- they're now penciled in on my copy of Starships.
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Call me mad as a hatter, but that ONE launcher on the bow of the K't'inga looks to be about twice the size as one of the Connie refit's launchers
    The torpedoes seemed very normal to me. I highly suggest you watch TMP again.

Then again, like I'm fond of saying there's no right or wrong here- so nothing's stopping you from tweaking the designs, like Sea Tyger did. With a little work you could give it a higher torpedo penetration value. Perhaps you could post it?