Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denethor write-up (redone)

Denethor write-up (redone)

I noticed that my old write-up of Denethor was somewhat lacking in many respects, so I re-wrote him from the ground up. Comments welcomed! (by the way, I think I'm going to take a little break for a while from these NPCs, whew, hehe)

Denethor

"I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool! Doest thou think that the eyes of the White Tower are blind?" - Denethor

Race: Man (Dûnedain)
    Racial Abilities: Adaptable, Dominion of Man, Skilled

Attributes: Bearing 14 (+4)*, Nimbleness 7 (+0), Perception 10 (+2), Strength 8 (+1), Vitality 8 (+1), Wits 10 (+2)*
    Reactions: Stamina +0, Swiftness +1, Willpower +8*, Wisdom +5

Orders: Captain, loremaster, noble (inactive)
    Order Abilities: Air of Command, Ancient Scripts, Courtier, Deference, Domain, Expertise, Noble Mien, Scroll Hoard 3, Secretive, Tactics
    Spells: Reading the Heart (ability)
    Advancements: 40

Skills: Appraise +3, Armed Combat: Blades (Longsword) +8, Climb +1, Conceal +3, Debate (Parley) +8, Games +3, Healing +3, Inquire (Interrogation) +10, Insight +10, Inspire +6, Intimidate (Majesty) +8, Language: Quenya +4, Language: Sindarin +4, Language: Westron +4, Lore: History (Gondor) +8, Lore: Race (Men) +5, Lore: Realm (Gondor) +5, Observe (Spot) +8, Persuade (Oratory) +6, Ranged Combat: Bows (Longbow) +1, Ride (Horse) +6, Run +1, Search +3, Siegecraft +8, Stonecraft +2, Weather-sense +2

Edges: Ally (Prince Imrahil), Command 4 (the Forces of Gondor), Eloquent, Fair, Friends (Minas Tirith), Hoard 5 (Minas Tirith), Indomitable, Rank 4 (Steward of Gondor), Stern, Strong-willed, Wary, Wise
    Flaws: Arrogant, Craven, Dark Secret (Palantir), Duty (to Gondor), Fey, Hatred (Gandalf), Proud, Reckless, Slow Recovery, Stiff-necked, Weak

Health: 10
    Courage: 4
    Renown: 25

*: Favoured attributes or reaction

Last Ruling Steward of Gondor, Denethor held a long dislike for Gandalf, and it may have hindered him. Upon Denethor's hearing of Boromir's death, he fell into a deep depression, and his last days were blackened. Even though the swearing in of Pippin as a Swordthain of Gondor cheered him some, it was not enough to save him. Denethor ordered his own execution, after hearing of Faramir's illness after his encounter with a Nazgul. Denethor had intended to burn both himself and Faramir in the pyre, but Faramir was saved by Pippin, Gandalf, and Beregond. It is supposed that the vision that Denethor saw in the Palantir also contributed to his eventual suicide.

He has been described as 'an old man with white hair and a long, curved nose'. Denethor II lived from TA 2935 to TA 3019, and was the son of Ecthelion II whom Aragorn fought for under the alias of Thorongil.
    Last edited by ben hur; 07-09-2003 at 09:44 AM.

Denethor Step-by-step Creation

Step 1: Concept

Denethor was a powerful warrior; alike to Aragorn (disguised as Thorongil) as almost to be akin with him. Yet always he was placed second in the minds of men. He was proud and stern, and held the Stewardship of Gondor with a powerful hand and mind. In the end his will failed him, wasted by Sauron through his use of the Palantir of Anor.

Step 2: Primary Attributes

Pick Method; Bearing 10, Nimbleness 4, Perception 9, Strength 7, Vitality 7, Wits 5; 1 to Nimbleness, 2 to Strength, 2 to Vitality, 3 to Wits.

Step 3: Race

Man; Dunedain; Bearing and Wits are both boosted by 1; Man of Minas Tirith package: Armed Combat +1, Climb +1, Lore +1, Persuade +1, Ranged Combat +1, Run +1; Skilled racial ability adds 2 to Persuade; Language: Quenya +4, Language: Sindarin +3, Language: Westron +4, Lore: History (Gondor) +4, Lore: Race (Men) +5, Lore: Realm (Gondor) +4

Step 4: Order

Noble; Bearing, Wits, and Willpower are favoured; Lord of Gondor package: Armed Combat +3, Debate +2, Inspire +2, Intimidate +2, Language: Sindarin +1, Lore: History (Gondor) +1, Observe +1, Persuade +1, Ride +2; Debate +1, Inspire +2, Observe +2; Rank edge; Deference order ability; takes the Flaws Arrogant, Duty, Proud, and Reckless, and takes the Edges Hoard 3 and Stern in recompense.

Step 5: Free Picks

Debate +2, Inquire +2, Ride +1.

Step 6: Record Final Attributes and Modifiers

Old Age adds 1 to Bearing, Perception, Wits, and Wisdom but subtracts 1 from Nimbleness, Strength, Vitality, Stamina, and Swiftness; Adaptable adds 2 to Willpower; Dominion of Man adds 1 to Courage; final attributes and reactions are Bearing 12, Nimbleness 4, Perception 10, Strength 8, Vitality 8, Wits 10, Stamina +0, Swiftness +1, Willpower +5, Wisdom +3, Defense 10, Health 9, Courage 4, Renown 25.

Step 7: Finishing Touches

As Steward of Gondor, Denethor has access to anything Minas Tirith holds.

Step 8: Advancements

Courtier, Inquire +2
    Domain, Inspire +2
    Noble Mien, Inquire +2
    Health +1
    Bearing +1, Armed Combat +1
    Bearing +1, Armed Combat +1
    Nimbleness +1
    Nimbleness +1
    Nimbleness +1
    Willpower +1, Wisdom +1
    Willpower +1, Wisdom +1
    Willpower +1, Eloquent, Armed Combat +1
    Command, Rank, Armed Combat +1
    Command, Rank, Debate +1
    Command, Rank, Debate +1
    Command, Ally, Debate +1
    Fey, Inquire +2, Intimidate +2, Observe +2
    Hatred, Inquire +2, Intimidate +2, Lore +1, Observe +1
    Slow Recovery, Conceal +1, Lore +2, Persuade +2
    Weak, Conceal +2, Ride +2
    Loremaster
    Dark Secret, Appraise +2, Intimidate +2, Observe +2
    Craven, Hoard, Indomitable, Insight +1, Weather-sense +1
    Stiff-necked, Hoard, Strong-willed, Appraise +1, Insight +1
    Ancient Scripts, Insight +2
    Expertise, Insight +2
    Scroll Hoard, Insight +2
    Scroll Hoard, Wise
    Scroll Hoard, Wary
    Secretive, Healing +2
    Captain
    Games +2, Healing +1, Siegecraft +2
    Games +1, Search +1, Siegecraft +2
    Ride +1, Search +1, Siegecraft +2
    Air of Command, Siegecraft +2
    Tactics, Search +1
    Fair, Stonecraft +1, Weather-sense +1
    Friends, Stonecraft +1, Weather-sense +1
    Reading the Heart (as a magical abilitiy; begun)
    Reading the Heart (as a magical abilitiy; finished)
    Last edited by ben hur; 07-09-2003 at 09:43 AM.

Step-by-Step

Denethor looks good, Ben, but I really wanted to post to thank you for all your NPCs and especially for your excellent and meticulous Step-by-Step accounting. I think its important to include such a process because it allows Narrators to easily make a tweak or two while maintaining the Advancement count. And I think Advancement reporting is necessary (and fun) to gauge the overall "strength" of characters relative to each other.

Decipher obviously didn't go through the same painstaking process for the characters in the FELLOWSHIP sourcebook. When I started adding up all the picks for Legolas, for example, turns out he's really closer to a 45 Advancement character, though he's listed as having only 23. Even if Decipher was more efficient than me in their accounting, there's no way they can close such a huge gap. This was a major disappointment. So now I have to basically ignore the Advancements given for all characters in that book, since they're all suspect as being essentially arbitrary and ultimately meaningless.

Thanks for showing D how to do this right! I mean, if you're gonna have Advancements and character creation rules, shouldn't all characters abide by them? For me, the answer is a resounding "yes"!

Well done, once again. It's telling that Decipher gets shown up by such a young newbie, who's not even on the payroll.

Keep it up!

T.

Re: Step-by-Step

Originally posted by Taliesin
    When I started adding up all the picks for Legolas, for example, turns out he's really closer to a 45 Advancement character, though he's listed as having only 23.
    Erm...how did you build him? I messed with Legolas a while back and recreated him right out of the FOTR book, and I think I was either right on 23 advancements or under.

Have to see if I can dig up my notes.

A couple things on your log:

>Courtier,
    >Domain,
    >Noble Mien,

All three of these are order abilities, and only cost 3 advancement picks each. You have 6 advancement picks to play with here.

>Craven, Inquire +2, Inspire +2
    >Games +1, Search +1, Siegecraft +2
    >Ride +1, Search +1, Siegecraft +2
    >Tactics, Search +1
    >Fair, Stonecraft +1, Weather-sense +1
    >Friends, Stonecraft +1, Weather-sense +1

These don't add up. I think you're off one advancement pick each.

>Reading the Heart (as a magical abilitiy; begun)
    >Reading the Heart (as a magical abilitiy; finished)

This originally messed me up as well. Making a spell an ability costs 10 spell picks, not advancement picks (p. 171, core book). You'll need to buy Spellcasting three times, because:

a. Spellcasting (Reading the Heart (no incantations)) costs 3 spell picks (2 spell picks left over)

b. Spellcasting (Reading the Heart (no gestures)) costs 3 spell picks (2 spell picks left over)

c. Spellcasting (Reading the Heart (ability)) costs 4 spell picks (1 spell pick left over)

Hope that helps. Denethor looks good.

Quick reply, have to go, just wanted to say a couple things...

Thanks for the encouragement Taliesin!

Thanks for the proofreading Ineti! I'll have to figure out how I wrote that wrong, looks like I can fix it without too much trouble.

About the Reading the Heart magic ability though... I think I did that right actually. Take a look at the bottom of the middle column of page 171:

"Since people like Beorn - who aren't spellcasters but do have magic abilities - exist in Middle-earth, the Narrator can allow non-spellcasting characters to acquire magic abilities as well. Typically this costs 10 advancement picks (two whole advancements worth), but the Narrator can vary the cost depending upon the usefulness and power of the desired ability."

So I think I did it right... but I definitely messed up on a bit of the step-by-step part and will redo that.

So I think I did it right... but I definitely messed up on a bit of the step-by-step part and will redo that. [/B]

Gotcha. Two different ways of doing it. Weesa both right!

Okay, just edited both the write-up and the step-by-step, and fixed the things you said were wrong Ineti. He's actually 40 advancements, not 37... I think the thing that was confusing me was non-order skills, and that was also confusing you.

Conceal, Search, and Stonecraft all are non-order skills, and thus cost 2 picks to get one rank in each. Thus, I think I calculated him as 37 advancements somehow, and also a couple of the advancements that you said weren't calculated right actually were (though some were still messed up and I think I fixed them).

I really don't blame Decipher all that much for not going step-by-step on their characters... at 40 advancements, the calculations are tough!

Thanks for the criticism and compliments, guys!

Re: Re: Step-by-Step

Originally posted by Ineti
    Erm...how did you build him? I messed with Legolas a while back and recreated him right out of the FOTR book, and I think I was either right on 23 advancements or under.

Have to see if I can dig up my notes.
    No way, man. He was waaaay over 23 when I did the math. Since we can't account for random ATT rolls at character creation, the only real fair way to calculate Advancements, IMO, is using the Pick method of character creation and then paying for any additional increases beyond the 8 free points allotted. But even if one assumes fantastic rolls for ATTS and take these out of the equation, he still comes up with way more than 23.

I think I even have a Step-by-Step ala KoR (ahem, Ben) that proves this out. I drove the total up to allow Legolas to be a ranger (small "r"), but even without my augmentation he was in the 40's, IIRC. Maybe I can dig that up and post.

T.

Originally posted by ben hur
    I really don't blame Decipher all that much for not going step-by-step on their characters... at 40 advancements, the calculations are tough!
    Yeah, they are, but that's no excuse for not going through the steps. I do mine with a spreadsheet, and it's not that hard. And I have a permanent digital record that I can refer to and correct as I discover blunders or oversights.

Decipher owes it to us to take the NPCs through the proper calculations if they're going to hold up the characters up as benchmarks. Otherwise, publish them without Advancements, saying NPC's don't really need to report them.

My two cents.

T.

Re: Re: Re: Step-by-Step

No way, man. He was waaaay over 23 when I did the math. Since we can't account for random ATT rolls at character creation, the only real fair way to calculate Advancements, IMO, is using the Pick method of character creation
    I believe Doug or Jeff mentioned either here or on the Decipher boards that the attributes were arbitrarily picked for the NPCs. I don't think it's fair to cut them down to using the pick method and going from there. That would really juke the results.

I'll take Legolas and write him up in a bit and see what happens.

Yeah, they are, but that's no excuse for not going through the steps. I do mine with a spreadsheet, and it's not that hard. And I have a permanent digital record that I can refer to and correct as I discover blunders or oversights.

Decipher owes it to us to take the NPCs through the proper calculations if they're going to hold up the characters up as benchmarks. Otherwise, publish them without Advancements, saying NPC's don't really need to report them.

My two cents.

T.
    It was a joke. Although I definitely would expect them to make the NPCs according to the Coda rules, and that would help a lot, I will freely admit that this can be a pain in the rear when you are dealing with an incredible amount of advancements!

I think all in all it looks good.
    I do have a couple of remarks however:

About Denether's Hoard 5, (and Hoard in general actually) iirc that is 100.000-500.000 sp.
    The FotR scourcebook gives Isildur Hoard 10: 10.000.000.000 - 50.000.000.000 sp. I am not sure if that's for Arnor and Gondor, but that wouldn't matter that much, for the difference is still enormous.

Now coming to my point about Hoard in general, it has a logarithmic scale.
    Someone with Hoard 2 (100-500 sp) can be much more than twice as rich as someone with Hoard 1 (10-50 sp), in the extreme case it is 500/10 = 50 times as much.
    So if one gives a king Hoard 5 (100.000 - 500.000 sp) for his entire land, he can have up to 5 liege-men who also have Hoard 5 or up to 50 liege-men who have Hoard 4!

Anyway, back to Denethor, I would give some more Allies, just as Greg or Jason(?) did with Imrahil, styling them "The lords of Gondor".

And I think you made him physically too weak. He used to be a strong warrior, a Rival (you might want to include this too?) of Thorondir. But because of his age (did you use the aging rules for Men as well?) and his rank (the place of the steward is not in the front ranks as he says himself) he didn't fight himself, but as he says himself as well he has worn his armor and sword (hidden under his robes) for days, iirc even sleeping in it.

Ofcourse this is meant as consructive criticism and reflects my personal opinion.
    Hope it helps!

PS. A note to the administrators, I noticed we have NPC write-ups on both Tomes of the Wise and the Council of Elrond board. Would it be possible to use one forum for this, further increasing the (already excellent ) ease of use of this board?

Originally posted by Meneltin
    Anyway, back to Denethor, I would give some more Allies, just as Greg or Jason(?) did with Imrahil, styling them "The lords of Gondor".
    It was Greg's excellent work.

Interesting points about Hoard... but does that mean you want me to change it? Sorry, I just didn't understand you entirely.

Originally posted by Meneltin
    Good idea! Do you think it should be perhaps Ally 9?

Originally posted by Meneltin And I think you made him physically too weak. He used to be a strong warrior, a Rival (you might want to include this too?) of Thorondir. But because of his age (did you use the aging rules for Men as well?) and his rank (the place of the steward is not in the front ranks as he says himself) he didn't fight himself, but as he says himself as well he has worn his armor and sword (hidden under his robes) for days, iirc even sleeping in it.[/B]
    Yes, I used Aging rules; Thorondor probably shouldn't be a Rival, seeing as the RotK appendix explicitly states that it was all in his head and Aragorn wasn't trying to usurp the throne or anything; but I think Hatred (Thorondor) is in order.

About being too weak... I'm kind of torn over this. I have no idea where the line is between "Denethor, Warrior of Gondor with the Blood of Numenor in his veins" and "Denethor, Feeble Old Man in his Last Days". So if you and everyone else could tell me how strong they think he should be that'd be great!

Originally posted by Meneltin Ofcourse this is meant as consructive criticism and reflects my personal opinion.
    Hope it helps![/B]
    Yes, it does help, I appreciate it!

Originally posted by Meneltin PS. A note to the administrators, I noticed we have NPC write-ups on both Tomes of the Wise and the Council of Elrond board. Would it be possible to use one forum for this, further increasing the (already excellent ) ease of use of this board? [/B]
    That would be definitely neat.