Thread: Nova Revisit

Nova Revisit

In my continuing tweaking (some might say obsesing) of the Nova and the refit, I've redone the Nova, as she seems WAY to overpowered for a simple surveyor.

Origin: UFP
    Class and Type: Nova-Class Surveyor
    Year Commissioned: 2368

HULL DATA

Structure: 25
    Size/Decks: 5/8
    Length/Height/Beam: 165/34/62
    Complement: 80

OPERATIONAL DATA

Atmosphere Capable: Yes
    Cargo Units: 50
    Life Support: Class 2 (C)
    Operations Systems: Class 3 (D)
    Sensor Systems: Class 4 (+4/E)
    Seperation System: None
    Shuttlebay: 1 stardrive aft
    Shuttlecraft: 5 Size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 fv, 1 av
    Transporters: 2 standard, 2 cargo, 2 emergency

PROPULSION DATA

Impulse System: FIG-7 (.95) (C)
    Warp System: LF-47 (6/7/8) (E)

TACTICAL DATA

Phasers: Type X (x2/C)
    Penetration: 4/4/4/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: Mk 75 DF (C)
    Photon Penetration: 3/3/3/3/3
    Deflector Shield: CIDDS-3 (C)
    Protection/Threshold: 15/3

MISCELLANEOUS DATA

Manuever Modifiers: +0C, +2H, +0T
    Traits: None
    Last edited by IceGiant; 06-22-2003 at 09:13 AM.

And here is my final version of the refit.

Origin: UFP
    Class and Type: Nova-Class Deep Space Surveyor (Refit)
    Year Commissioned: 2373

HULL DATA

Structure: 30 [5]
    Size/Decks: 5/8
    Length/Height/Beam: 165/34/62
    Complement: 80

OPERATIONAL DATA

Atmosphere Capable: Yes [2]
    Cargo Units: 80 [3]
    Life Support: Class 4 (E) [6]
    Operations Systems: Class 4 (E) [6]
    Sensor Systems: Class 4 (+4/E) [4]
    Seperation System: None
    Shuttlebay: 1 stardrive aft [2]
    Shuttlecraft: 5 Size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 fv, 1 av
    Transporters: 2 standard, 2 cargo, 2 emergency

PROPULSION DATA

Impulse System: FIE-2 (.85) (E) [3]
    Warp System: LF-35 (6/9.2/9.8) (D) [5]

TACTICAL DATA

Phasers: Type IX (x2/C) [10]
    Penetration: 4/4/4/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: Mk 95 DF (C) [7]
    Photon Penetration: 4/4/4/4/4
    Deflector Shield: FSQ (D) [11]
    Protection/Threshold: 17/3 [1]

MISCELLANEOUS DATA

Manuever Modifiers: +0C, +2H, +0T
    Traits: None

That’s 65 of 65 points used
    I’m counting the Deep Space Surveyor as heavy for points purposes as it’s abbreviation is SVH.
    I believe that the upgrade needs cargo and operations/life support upgrades as opposed to weapons and shield upgrades to reflect it’s ability to do long range missions.
    Last edited by IceGiant; 06-22-2003 at 09:04 PM.

If the numbers add up, that looks great to me, especially for the "Rhode Island" upgrade.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

(mr_burns.wav) Eeexcellent

I just had a spot of free time and the inclination to look at the numbers above (I'm in the planning stages for a new game). Not only does this add up (and I had little doubt but that it would) but it does an extremely nice job capturing the feel of the vessel (to have gone through all that punishment in the DQ and still dole out some more to Voyager). I think the cruiser designation fits extremely well too. Kudos! The only thing (rather minor) to change is the Weapon Reliability (since that is the one and only place where you get to add the Offensive Values of Beam and Missile systems together, unless of course there was some alteration I am unaware of which is entirely possible) which should be a "C" for both.

Re: (mr_burns.wav) Eeexcellent

Originally posted by Publius
    I just had a spot of free time and the inclination to look at the numbers above (I'm in the planning stages for a new game). Not only does this add up (and I had little doubt but that it would) but it does an extremely nice job capturing the feel of the vessel (to have gone through all that punishment in the DQ and still dole out some more to Voyager). I think the cruiser designation fits extremely well too. Kudos! The only thing (rather minor) to change is the Weapon Reliability (since that is the one and only place where you get to add the Offensive Values of Beam and Missile systems together, unless of course there was some alteration I am unaware of which is entirely possible) which should be a "C" for both.
    Thanks Publius!!
    And to be honest, it's your deckplans that got me obsessing about it.
    I canged the reliability. I always thought you did them seperately.
    I understand they based it's basic design from the Starship spotter, but she was better armed and shielded than alot of cruisers. That just didn't make sense to me. And the heavy scout designation isn't possible as they can only be max of size 4. The only thing that bothers me is the Class 2 life support. But then again the Defiant class uses Class 2 life support and the Nova is tchnically in the same design family.

So are you using the Nova or the refit for your new campaign?
    My basic campaign is aboard the RI refit U.S.S Solstice being assigned to the Cardassian DMZ
    Last edited by IceGiant; 06-22-2003 at 09:34 AM.

My campaign is based on the RI (starpool lounge variant) Nova the USS Cromulence. The nova is a nice balance between size and capabilities.
    Star Trek: Revelations
    ep: 01x05 Countdown

I agree with your changes wholeheartedly Ice Giant, Type X Phasers on a simple Planetary Surveyor always semed a mite odd to me as well. The old LUG game made a distinction between standard cruisers and Exploratory cruisers, I think this is no different (an Exploratory Cruiser with strong Science or a Science Cruiser with strong Exploratory).

I also agree with you Kochanski, in that it is a nice balance of ability and defence. The only thing with the design is, and I'm sorry to say that this is bourne out in the Deckplans as well, it is not the longest ranged vehicle on the block. The ship's stores should only be good for a while, say a few months, which as I recall is what is mentioned on-screen as well. I think that some of the technology brought back from the Voyager here might actually help out in this respect (not the future tech, but the technology they gained from other races while in that little bubble of emptiness in the Seventh Season episode "Void" that helped them extend their replicator supplies).

I like both of your ship names. Right now I have the USS Ellison, breaking tradition with the season/sun-oriented naming system, although the USS Prominence was an early choice and might still win out. Yes, I named it after Harlan, who has such interesting things to say about Trekkies, but that fits the irrevent style, it's dedication plaque reads"...you never reach glory or self-fulfillment unless you're willing to risk everything, dare anything...". It is a Nova-class Upgrade (i.e. the Rhode Island-variety), which was built after the Dominion War. We are starting in late 2379, at approximately the same time as the events of Nemisis, which would place it at 4 years after the War. In the post DW era, Starfleet is still struggling to determine its long term goals and to staff itself out from the immense losses incurred during the War; heavily armed but still science-oriented ships like the Nova upgrade make an excellent choice for new builds because eventually they can be used in a either a more militaristic or a more traditional Starfleet.

I remember clearly the line in Equinox where Janeway says that the Equinox is a limited range vessel, with a top speed of warp 6 and limited armaments.

i thought the cap was warp eight ion the episode?
    Star Trek: Revelations
    ep: 01x05 Countdown

well my memory must be playing tricks on me (!)

here's from Startrek.com:

"A Nova-class science vessel designed for short-term planetary research missions; outfitted with minimal weapons; maximum speed Warp 8"

I think it was Warp 6/8, i.e. 6 standard and 8 maximum for short durations. Either way it is somewhat moot, since this is the upgrade we are discussing. Did Harry Kim use the Rhode Island at Warp 6 to do "Deep Space Exploration"? he would have had a definite problem doing so, since most of the explorers travel 9.8 and above. As a Planetary Surveyor attached to a Starbase, Warp 6 is acceptable, but as a Deep Space platform, no way. That was also one of the reasons that the change from Surveyor to Cruiser was suggested and implemented for the Upgrade.

With regards to the limited armaments: True it was said, but the Type X phasers have come from a variety of sources (most if not all semi- or non-canon). Type X phasers are hardly "limited armament" and even after all that damage the Equinox still managed to fight pretty well there at the end. Maybe Janeway meant that in compairosn to her own Gunboat/Explorer?

Yes the limited supplies issue along with harry kim's statement has been giving me some trouble as well. I'm still a little unsure about converting it too a light cruiser. Would they convert/build all Nova's into this type or would they have both?

I'm tempted to try and rework the RI upgrade (again, I know) to try and fit it into the picture a ship that can go for four years without resupply. I had looked at going the light explorer route but size 5 is horrid with only 65 points to work with.

Your deckplans are fine, and I believe they work perfectly well for a short range or a long range vessel.

I've changed the refit again(I know I'm not taking my meds ). I've down graded the phasers to type IX left the torp launcher alone and increased the systems i believe you would need to improve to do 4 year missions. I went back to it being a surveyor as I believe they need a good replacement for the Oberth as opposed to a new cruiser. It's weapons are still potent (I believe) for survey vessel, without them being more powerfull that most ships. I realize that type X's cost the same as type IX's but i'm going for the feel of the ship as opposed to what points will get me.

I'm sure some might be getting tired of my constant revisions, and I apologize for that. As usual if anyone wants to comment I would welcome it.

I don't think that downgrading is necessary at all. It really was great the way that it was. The Spotter and other sources all list the phasers of the Nova as Type X's, and just because she does the job of a surveyor doesn't mean that it cannot be classified as a cruiser. The Nova's original designation of Surveyor is fine, but the upgrade was done for a reason, and mission profiles are likely to change. If you take a look at the exterior there is a smaller impulse drive and changes to the nacelles to indicate that changes have been made to those systems which you adequately reflect in your cruiser design. Not only that but the Surveyor/scouts aren't balanced anyway; notice how the ship's manuever stats went down the tubes for absolutely no good reason? No other vessel, including shuttles, are penalized like that. The Nova refit as a multi-faceted cruiser only makes sense, and it still can replace the Oberths because it is still science oriented.

Whatever you decide to do is fine of course, but I'll be using the earlier Cruiser version in my games as it best fits the on screen evidence (it took on what, two Klingon vessels in the Voyager finale right? and how much damage had the Equinox taken in the DQ but it was still a capable vessel). I'd say return it to the cruiser version, especially since the upgrade comes after the Dominion War. It was a nice elegant design.