Thread: [NPC] Gildor Inglorion

[NPC] Gildor Inglorion

As mentioned previously, here's Gildor.

Coments and advice welcome. Next up, Theodred (who I believe is not slated to appear in The Two Towers Sourcebook).

GILDOR INGLORION

'I am Gildor,' answered their leader, the Elf who first hailed him. 'Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod. We are Exiles, and most of our kindred have long ago departed and we too are now only tarrying here a while, ere we return over the Great Sea.'
    — The Fellowship of the Ring

Race: Elf (Noldor)
    Racial Abilities: Noldorin Lore (Lore[History]), The Art, Beast-skill, Comfort, Elven Form, Elven-sense, Elven-sleep, Farsightedness, Ghost-scorn, Lightfootedness, Swift Healing

Attributes: Bearing 13 (+3), Nimbleness 12 (+3)*, Perception 14 (+4)*, Strength 10 (+2), Vitality 9 (+1), Wits 12 (+3)
    Reactions: Stamina +3, Swiftness +7, Willpower +5, Wisdom +8*

Orders: Captain, Loremaster, Minstrel, Warrior

Order Abilities: Air of Command, Deference, Gladden, Inspiring Performance, Leadership, Noble Mien, Spellcasting 3, Voice of Power, Vala Virtue

Advancements: 60

Spells: Calling, Enhance Food, Exclusion, Reading the Heart, Slumber

Skills: Acrobatics (Balance) +3, Armed Combat: Blades (Longsword) +9, Armed Combat: Polearm (Pikestaff) +4, Climb +3, Conceal (Hide Treasure) +2, Debate (Parley) +8, Healing (Treat Illness) +3, Inquire (Converse) +5, Insight +8, Inspire +9, Intimidate (Majesty) +5, Jump +2, Language: Quenya +7, Language: Silvan +5, Language: Sindarin +7, Language: Westron +6, Lore: Group (Wandering Companies) +6, Lore: History (Elves) +6, Lore: Race (Noldor) +5, Lore: Realm (Rhudar, Arnor) +5, Lore: Astrology +7 Observe (Hear, Sense Power, Spot) +11, Perform (Sing) +10, Persuade (Charm) +10, Ranged Combat: Bows (Longbow) +8, Ride (Horse) +2, Run +4, Search +6, Stealth (Surveill) +8, Survival (Forests) +3, Swim +2, Weather-sense +5

Edges: Allies (Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, Strider), Command 1, Eloquent, Fair, Foresighted, Honey-tongued 2, Honor's Insight, Keen-eyed, Night-eyed, Rank 1, Wise 2, Woodcrafty

Flaws: Duty (Wandering Companies), Fealty (Elrond)

Health: 10
    Courage: 8
    Renown: 20

Gear: Longsword, clothing, bow and quiver of arrows, lantern, dagger, lembas, flask of miruvor (see p96 of Fell Beasts & Wondrous Magic for details).

In the Novels
    A Noldorin Elf of the House of Finarfin, Gildor Inglorion was born in the Second Age, and is a wise and powerful Elf of some renown. His is a great and noble lineage, and he counts among his kin the greatest of the Elf-heroes. He is a nephew to the Lady Galadriel, and as such, a cousin to her granddaughter Arwen Undómiel. Like Galadriel, Gildor is of the rare golden-haired Noldorin stock, and he radiates humor, wisdom, and confidence, his eyes bright and his voice high and clear. His name means "star-land" in Sindarin, and he is wise with the knowedge of the heavens. He was born in Middle-earth, and has not seen the light of Valinor. Gildor often journeys to the Elven towers atop the Tower Hills, to use the palantir there, gazing across the waters of the Great Sea to behold the Undying Land, a place he longs to go to. Though he would travel to the great Elf-land of Valinor, Gildor's duty is to his people, and he knows that he is not destined to leave Middle-earth for the rest of the Third Age.

As a leader of the Wandering Companies, Gildor frequently dwells in Rivendell with his folk, though they move throughout the lands of the North, vigilant against the Enemy. A close ally of Elrond, Glorfindel, and the northern Rangers, Gildor and his folk patrol the lands of Rhudaur, Arnor, and the Shire, and he is known to the mysterious woods-lord Iarwain Ben-adar (also called Tom Bombadil). A friend to the Shire, Gildor knows Bilbo Baggins well, having stopped in on the Hobbit to speak with him, and also appointed with overseeing the hobbit's safety, by Elrond and Gandalf. As Bilbo's friend, Gildor knows much of Frodo, and has seen the young hobbit from afar, though Frodo was unaware of this observation.

When Bilbo Baggins left the Shire on his 111st birthday, he encountered Gildor and his Wandering Company on the road east en route to Rivendell. Later, Gildor met Bilbo again in Rivendell. Years later, when Frodo, Sam, and Pippin traveled upon the same path, Gildor and his folk met them and sheltered the three young hobbits for the night, shielding them against the treacherous and vigilant of the Enemy. They spent the night speaking about the troubles of the world, and the news of the growing darkness, wars of Men, and the passing of the Elves. Though Gildor knew of Bilbo's whereabouts, and had a premonition of the importance of Frodo's burden, he would not speak of them, troubled as he was by the presence of the Enemy at the border of the Shire. If the Enemy were to capture the hobbits, it would not do for them to learn the location of the other Baggins. Thus, Gildor and he and his people continued their patrol of the area, letting the hobbits pass on their way, though he names Frodo "Elf-friend," and passes word along to all the Wandering Companies to look after them along their journey.

Throughout the War of the Ring, Gildor and his folk frequently returned to Rivendell, and helped defend the Elven realm against the blandishments of Sauron's forces, both subtle and overt. When the Ring was destroyed and the time come for the passing of the Elves from Middle-earth, Gildor journeyed with Elrond and his household to the Grey Havens, encountering Frodo and Sam near the Tower Hills.

And then, at the end of the Third Age, did Gildor Inglorion, High-elf of the House of Finarfin, pass across the Sea, with many of his kinsmen and fellows, accompanying the Lord Elrond and the Lady Galadriel; the wizard Gandalf the White; and the two bearers of the Ring of Power, the hobbits Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.

In the Game
    In the later years of the Third Age, Gildor--as a captain of the Wandering Companies and an ally to Elrond, Galadriel, and Strider--might be found anywhere in Rhudaur, Arnor, or even the Shire itself, though he will likely only make himself known to those who interest him, or are clearly needing his aid. A doughty warrior, a wise counsel, and a gracious and intuitive host, Gildor will offer sanctuary with his folk to those who need it, and will not presume to influence the decisions of those he aids. Information and succor he will offer, however, and sanctuary against the forces of the Enemy.

*: Favored attribute or reaction.
    Last edited by Jason Durall; 06-22-2003 at 01:21 PM.

Nitpicking!

Arwen was Galadriel's granddaughter, not her daughter.

Looks like another good write up for a minor character. These are just the kinds of characters I like to include: they allow the PCs to feel like part of Tolkien's story, but they won't change the outcome.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Re: Nitpicking!

Originally posted by Sarge
    Arwen was Galadriel's granddaughter, not her daughter.

Looks like another good write up for a minor character. These are just the kinds of characters I like to include: they allow the PCs to feel like part of Tolkien's story, but they won't change the outcome.
    Thanks for the compliment and the nitpick (edited to be correct now).

I think that still makes them cousins, though.

Inner Light

I always sort of thought of Gildor as a prime example of a Noldo who had seen and dwelt in Valinor. The description of him and of his companions at their first meeting matches the description of Glorfindel later on. It says: " They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, like the light above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet." That seems to coincide with the light that seemed to shine through and out from under Glorfindel's outergarments.
    So, I guess I always thought of Gildor being one of Valinor. Unfortunately, I won't be in town for over a week and probably won't have access to the internet to check up on the boards. I actually came up with the quote above easily because I have my travel copy of "LotR" sitting beside me with my luggage! =) Airport layovers stink.
    Anyway, good write-up. I look forward to checking out everyone else's comments and any new posts as soon as I may.

Yes, pretty sure Gildor should have Inner Light. Perhaps he should have a little more Ride? Perhaps not... he does have a +11 to his Ride rolls on a horse, so he doesn't 'need' it, it's just a Ride rank of 2 'looks' low.

I like him a lot! Can't wait for Theodred! How do you think Theodred compares to Eomer and Eowyn? Do you think you'll line him up with my write-ups of Eomer and Eowyn or no? If you want to, I'll post them both.
    Last edited by ben hur; 07-02-2003 at 09:04 AM.

Nice work Jason!

Man, all the NPC stats in this forum by a variety of folks are cool, and I'm swiping 'em for my own evil uses! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

Not much of a critique, I know, but nothing jumped out at me from the write up (Sarge snagged it already) that seemed "off" or out of place. S'all good!

Cheers,

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Re: Inner Light

Originally posted by celebril
    I always sort of thought of Gildor as a prime example of a Noldo who had seen and dwelt in Valinor.
    The research I did (with the scant and occasionally contradictory information Tolkien provided) indicated that Gildor was born in Middle-earth, not Valinor, so I didn't give him that ability.

Originally posted by ben hur
    Yes, pretty sure Gildor should have Inner Light. Perhaps he should have a little more Ride? Perhaps not... he does have a +11 to his Ride rolls on a horse, so he doesn't 'need' it, it's just a Ride rank of 2 'looks' low.
    I was a bit surprised wondering where all the points had gone - but since his Ride total was +11, I thought he could get by without too many ranks. Also, I think I had in my head all the images of the Elves walking around Eregion, and it didn't occur to me that they'd use horses a lot.

I like him a lot! Can't wait for Theodred! How do you think Theodred compares to Eomer and Eowyn? Do you think you'll line him up with my write-ups of Eomer and Eowyn or no? If you want to, I'll post them both.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Theodred should be done maybe at the end of this weekend. I think that Theodred would be roughly a peer to Eomer, probably "better" than Eowyn (not being sexist, just that he had a lot more opportunity for adventure and advancement).

I would be quite happy to let people post these, also.

Originally posted by Jason Durall
    Theodred should be done maybe at the end of this weekend. I think that Theodred would be roughly a peer to Eomer, probably "better" than Eowyn (not being sexist, just that he had a lot more opportunity for adventure and advancement).
    Yes, I think that's how he should be as well; I made write-ups of Eomer and Eowyn, are you saying that Theodred is about as skilled as the Eomer I made, and more skilled than Eowyn? Thanks for the info.

I would be quite happy to let people post these, also.
    Wait, are you saying right here that I should post my Eomer and Eowyn? I'd be glad to if that's what you mean.

Sorry that I didn't understand your post very well, I probably didn't make mine clear myself.

Originally posted by ben hur
    Yes, I think that's how he should be as well; I made write-ups of Eomer and Eowyn, are you saying that Theodred is about as skilled as the Eomer I made, and more skilled than Eowyn? Thanks for the info.
    Actually, I was unaware you'd done a writeup of Eomer. I was thinking of the one from the playtest. As for making Theodred roughly an equal to Eomer, they were about the same age, and I would imagine grew up together, doing the same sorts of things. Eowyn, of course, wasn't allowed to have as much fun, so she is likely less experienced.

Wait, are you saying right here that I should post my Eomer and Eowyn? I'd be glad to if that's what you mean.
    I was talking about people (like Ineti) posting them elsewhere or in some official format, but I think this site should become a repository for fan-submitted stuff - it is semi-official, and stuff stays around rather than disappearing after a few weeks.

So, in short, you should post writeups of cool characters here.