View Poll Results: What do you think of NPC write-ups such as Eomer?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • I find them extremely useful sometimes and use them in my chronicles or for inspiration

10 90.91%
  • They are interesting, but I'd never really make any use of them

1 9.09%
  • I don't really notice them for the most part

0 0%
  • They are usually kind of stupid and/or pointless, but I don't really care about them anyway

0 0%
  • I loathe them with a vengeance

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: NPC: Eomer... with famed Step-by-step ;)

NPC: Eomer... with famed Step-by-step ;)

Eomer, Third-marshal of the Riddermark
    Race: Man (Middle Man)
    Racial Abilities: Adaptable, Dominion of Man, Skilled

Attributes: Bearing 8 (+1), Nimbleness 8 (+1), Perception 8 (+1)*, Strength 10 (+2), Vitality 12 (+3)*, Wits 8 (+1)
    Reactions: Stamina +5*, Swiftness +3, Willpower +3, Wisdom +1, Defense 11, Health 14

Order: Captain, knight, warrior (inactive)
    Order Abilities: Battle-hardened, Born To the Saddle, Hero's Strength, Horse Archer, Horsemaster, Mounted Combat, Shield-Wall, Tactics
    Advancements: 21

Skills: Armed Combat: Blades (Longsword) +10, Armed Combat: Polearms (Spear) +6, Healing (Treat Wounds) +3, Inspire +6, Intimidate (Majesty) +6, Language: Rohirric +4, Language: Westron +4, Lore: Group (Rohirrim) +4, Lore: History (Rohan) +4, Lore: Race (Man) +4, Lore: Realm (Rohan) +4, Observe (Spot) +2, Ranged Combat: Bows (Shortbow) +6, Ranged Combat: Spears (Spear) +8, Ride (Horse) +10, Siegecraft (Defense) +8

Edges: Bold, Command 3 (Riders of Eastfold), Doughty, Faithful (to Theoden), Hardy, Honour's Insight 2, Night-eyed, Rank 3 (Third Marshal of the Riddermark), Stern, Valiant, Warrior's Heart, Warwise, Weapon Mastery (Longsword)
    Flaws: Code of Honour (never lie), Duty (to Rohan), Enemy (Wormtongue), Fealty (to Theoden), Hatred (Wormtongue), Proud

Courage: 5
    Renown: 21

Step-by-step Creation of Eomer

Step 1: Concept
    Picturing Eomer: proud, stern, bold, honorable, tall, strong, valiant, sturdy, powerful, fearless; a son of kings. He is devoted to his uncle Theoden King and his sister Eowyn. He admires Gandalf. Grima Wormtongue attempts to impede Eomer whenever he can. He must balance his duty to Rohan's well-being and his fealty to the bewitched Theoden.

Step 2: Primary Attributes
    Using the pick method, assigning the attributes thus: Bearing 7, Nimbleness 7, Perception 4, Strength 9, Vitality 10, and Wits 5. He then assigns eight more points thus: 1 to Bearing, 1 to Nimbleness, 3 to Perception, and 3 to Wits.

Step 3: Race
    Chooses race of Man and sub-race of Middle Man, which adds 1 to both Strength and Vitality.
    Takes the Rider of Rohan package provided in the Core Book, giving him Armed Combat +1, Ranged Combat +1, Ride +2, and the edges Honour's Insight and Night-eyed.
    Uses his Skilled racial ability to make his Armed Combat and Ranged Combat each an additional +1.
    Takes the flaw Duty (to Rohan) and takes the edge Stern.
    Multiplies his Wits of 8 by 3 so that he takes 24 Lore and Language picks: Language: Rohirric +4, Language: Westron +4, Lore: Group (Rohirrim) +4, Lore: History (Rohan) +4, Lore: Race (Man) +4, and Lore: Realm (Rohan) +4.

Step 4: Order
    Chooses the Warrior order.
    Makes Perception and Vitality his favoured attributes and Stamina his favoured Reaction.
    Chooses the Horseman package provided in the Core Book, giving him Armed Combat +3, Healing +1, Inspire +2, Intimidate +2, Observe +2, Ranged Combat +1, Ride +3, and Siegecraft +1; then adds five more picks to these with Armed Combat +1, Ranged Combat +3, and Ride +1.
    Chooses the Bold edge.
    Chooses the Battle-hardened order ability.
    Takes the flaws Code of Honour (never lie), Enemy (Wormtongue), and Fealty (to Theoden), and takes the edges Command (eored) and Rank 2 (Third Marshal of the Riddermark).

Step 5: Free Picks
    Eomer puts four of his five picks into increasing Vitality by 1, then puts the last pick into Siegecraft.

Step 6: Record Final Attributes and Modifiers
    Eomer's final attributes are as follows: Bearing 8 (+1), Nimbleness 8 (+1), Perception 7 (+0), Strength 10 (+2), Vitality 12 (+3), and Wits 8 (+1).
    Putting his Adaptable racial ability into Willpower, his secondary attributes are: Stamina +3, Swiftness +1, Willpower +3, Wisdom +1, Defense 11, and Health 14.
    Accounting for his Dominion of Man racial ability, his Courage is 4. Since he is a great warrior and Third Marshal of the Riddermark his Renown starts at 21.

Step 7: Finishing Touches
    Eomer, as Third Marshal of the Riddermark, has access to a good amount of weaponry, armor, horses, and so on, for himself and his command. He himself uses a sword, shield, spear, hauberk, and warhorse.

Advancements: 21
    Armed Combat +2, Ranged Combat +2, Ride +1
    Armed Combat +2, Ranged Combat +2, Siegecraft +1
    Inspire +2, Intimidate +2, Siegecraft +1
    Inspire +2, Intimidate +1, Siegecraft +2
    Knight, Proud, Healing +1
    Horsemaster, Weapon Mastery
    Horse Archer, Siegecraft +2
    Born To the Saddle, Armed Combat +1, Intimidate +1
    Mounted Combat, Valiant
    Shield-Wall, Warwise
    Captain, Hatred, Healing +1
    Hero's Strength, Faithful
    Tactics, Warrior's Heart
    Ride +1, Doughty, Hardy
    Stamina +1, Swiftness +1
    Stamina +1, Swiftness +1
    Perception +1, Armed Combat +1
    Additional point of Courage, Rank
    Command 2, Observe +1
    Last edited by ben hur; 07-07-2003 at 12:27 PM.

Another good NPC write-up!

Good job. My only question, what was your rationale for giving him the Knight elite order ability "Shield-Wall"? If this ability applies to knights on horseback, than I can understand its importance. Does it?

Stern now was Eomer's mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come thither; for he thought to make a great shield-wall at the last, and stand, and fight there on foot till all fell, and do deeds of song on the fields of Pelennor, though no man should be left in the West to remember the last King of the Mark.

Huge thanks to Sarge for the quote from the books. So that's probably the best explanation for Eomer having Shield-wall, although I'm not sure if I actually had that quote in mind when I gave it to him...

BTW, I don't think Shield-wall applies to mounted warriors; as you can see from the passage, they dismounted to make the shield-wall.

Thumbs up

Very cool! Thanx for the quote

You're welcome.

BTW, I just got back from SCA fighter practice. We only had seven fighters there today, but we still did some melees, so I was in a very short shield wall today.

Bruises fade. Glory lingers.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Very nice job with Eomer. I am a bit slower than I'd like with working up Theodred, but will certainly use your work as an inspiration.

Originally posted by Sarge
    You're welcome.

BTW, I just got back from SCA fighter practice. We only had seven fighters there today, but we still did some melees, so I was in a very short shield wall today.

Bruises fade. Glory lingers.
    Sweet! That would be so fun to do.

Originally posted by Jason Durall
    Very nice job with Eomer. I am a bit slower than I'd like with working up Theodred, but will certainly use your work as an inspiration.
    Sounds good!

Very nicely done.

I do have 2 things I would like to point out, however. If someone already has please disregard.

1) Eomer's Command Edge should be 3, it was said, in the movie, that he led 2000 men in search of the enemies of Rohan.

2) As per the chart on p. 150 he should have Rank 3 as well. The chart lists level 3 as "a Marshal of the Rittermark."

Other then these two nit-piks, he is exactly the way I pictured him.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Very nicely done.

I do have 2 things I would like to point out, however. If someone already has please disregard.

1) Eomer's Command Edge should be 3, it was said, in the movie, that he led 2000 men in search of the enemies of Rohan.

2) As per the chart on p. 150 he should have Rank 3 as well. The chart lists level 3 as "a Marshal of the Rittermark."

Other then these two nit-piks, he is exactly the way I pictured him.
    Thanks for both the compliments and the catches! I just edited him so now he is correct.