Thread: NPC: Faramir, Captain of Gondor

NPC: Faramir, Captain of Gondor

Faramir (name probably means 'sufficient jewel')

“Fear no more! I would not take this thing, if it lay by the high way.... no, I do not wish for such triumphs.” - Faramir to Frodo in Ithilien

Race: Man (Dunedain)
    Racial Abilities: Adaptable, Dominion of Man, Skilled

Attributes: Bearing 10 (+2), Nimbleness 10 (+2)*, Perception 8 (+1), Strength 10 (+2)*, Vitality 8 (+1), Wits 11 (+2)
    Reactions: Stamina +1, Swiftness +3, Willpower +4, Wisdom +4*

Orders: Noble (inactive), ranger, warrior (inactive), captain
    Order Abilities: Air of Command, Camouflage, Cross-order Skill (Insight), Deference, Fires of Devotion, Noble Mien, Protector (People of Gondor), Retreat (Henneth Annun), Wilderness Lore
    Advancements: 28

Skills: Armed Combat: Blades (Longsword) +9, Climb +1, Debate (Parley) +2, Inquire (Interrogation) +3, Insight +3, Inspire +8, Intimidate (Power) +4, Language: Quenya +4, Language: Sindarin +4, Language: Westron +6, Lore: Group (Rangers of Ithil) +3, Lore: History (Gondor) +6, Lore: Race (Men) +6, Lore: Realm (Gondor, Ithil) +6, Observe (Spot) +3, Perform +2, Persuade (Oratory) +2, Ranged Combat: Bows (Longbow) +5, Ride (Horse) +3, Run +1, Siegecraft +4, Stealth +5, Survival +7, Track +7, Weather-sense +2

Edges: Accurate (Longbow), Ally (Gandalf), Charmed Life, Command 2 (Rangers of Ithil), Fair, Honour's Insight, Incorruptible, Keen-eared, Keen-eyed, Rank 2 (Captain of Gondor), Valiant, Woodcrafty
    Flaws: Duty (to Gondor), Fealty (to Ruler of Gondor), Oath (to People of Gondor), Proud

Health: 10
    Courage: 6
    Renown: 20

Step-by-step Creation of Faramir

Step 1: Concept

He is tall and fair, after the manner of the Lords of Gondor. He is 36 years of age at the time of the War of the Ring. He does not favor combat, and prefers to study lore with Gandalf. His father favors Faramir’s older brother Boromir for these reasons. But Faramir will do his duty for Gondor and has accepted his fate as having to patrol the deserted lands of Ithil.

Step 2: Primary Attributes

Chooses to use the Pick Method, and assign the following: Bearing 9, Nimbleness 5, Perception 4, Strength 7, Vitality 7, and Wits 10, then adds 3 points to Nimbleness, 3 points to Perception, 1 point to Strength, 1 point to Vitality.

Step 3: Race

Chooses Race of Man, and Subrace of Dunedain. The attributes are modified with Bearing +1 and Wits +1, making them: Bearing 10, Nimbleness 8, Perception 7, Strength 8, Vitality 8, and Wits 11.

Chooses the Man of Minas Tirith backround package, which gives him Armed Combat +1, Climb +1, Lore +1, Persuade +1, Ranged Combat +1, and Run +1.

Decides to take the flaw Proud and takes the edge Fair in recompense.

The Racial Abilities are Adaptable, Dominion of Man, and Skilled. Skilled now adds 2 picks to his Racial Package, and he puts them both into Armed Combat making it +3.

He takes his Language and Lore by multiplying his Wits of 11 by 3 for a total of 33 picks. He takes Language: Quenya +3, Language: Sindarin +4, Language: Westron +6, Lore: Group (Rangers of Ithil) +3, Lore: History (Gondor) +5, Lore: Race (Men) +6, and Lore: Realm (Gondor, Ithil) +5.

Step 4: Order

Chooses the Noble order.

Selects Nimbleness and Strength as his favoured Attributes and Wisdom as his favoured Reaction.

Takes the Gondorian Lord package, giving him Armed Combat +3, Debate +2, Inspire +2, Intimidate +2, Language: Quenya +1, Lore: History (Gondor) +1, Observe +1, Persuade +1, and Ride +2.

He puts five bonus picks into his order skills, taking one pick into Inquire, one pick into Inspire,and three picks into Ranged Combat.

Takes the Rank edge.

Chooses the Noble Mien order ability.

Chooses the flaws Duty, Fealty, and Oath, and takes the edges Charmed Life, Command, and Rank (improved).

Step 5: Free Picks

He is further customized by his 5 free picks, which he puts into Perception to make it 8.

Step 6: Record Final Attributes and Modifiers

His final Attributes are: Bearing 10 (+2), Nimbleness 8 (+1), Perception 8 (+1), Strength 8 (+1), Vitality 8 (+1), and Wits 11 (+2).

He puts his Adaptable racial ability into Willpower, making his secondary Attributes: Stamina +1, Swiftness +1, Willpower +4, Wisdom +2, Defense 11, and Health 9.

His starting Courage is 4 because of his Dominion of Man racial ability, and his Renown is 20 since he is a great lord in combat and a much loved leader.

Step 7: Finishing Touches

Faramir is stationed in command of the Rangers of Ithil, so he has access to swords, bows, arrows, men, and war gear.

Step 8: Advancements (28)

+2 Inquire (2 picks), +2 Inspire (2 picks), +1 Ranged Combat (1 pick)
    Cross-order Skill (Insight) (3 picks), +2 Insight (2 picks)
    Deference (3 picks), Incorruptible (2 picks)
    Command (2 picks), Armed Combat +2 (2 picks), Insight +1 (1 pick)
    Wisdom +2 (4 picks), +1 Inspire (1 pick)
    Swiftness +1 (3 picks), Honour’s Insight (2 picks)
    Swiftness +1 (3 picks), Valiant (2 picks)
    Warrior order (5 picks)
    +1 Stealth (1 pick), +2 Survival (2 picks), +2 Track (2 picks)
    +1 Armed Combat (1 pick), +2 Stealth (2 picks), +1 Survival(1 pick), +1 Track (1 pick)
    Ranger order (5 picks; Noble order is deactivated)
    Protector (3 picks), +2 Intimidate (2 picks)
    Retreat (3 picks), +2 Inspire (2 picks)
    Captain order (5 picks; Warrior order is deactivated)
    Air of Command (3 picks), +2 Perform (2 picks)
    Fires of Devotion (3 picks), +2 Weather-sense (2 picks)
    Health +1 (5 picks)
    Ally (2 picks), +2 Observe (2 picks), +1 Ride (1 pick)
    Strength +1 (4 picks), +1 Siegecraft (1 pick)
    Strength +1 (4 picks), +1 Siegecraft (1 pick)
    Nimbleness +1 (4 picks), +1 Siegecraft (1 pick)
    Nimbleness +1 (4 picks), +1 Siegecraft (1 pick)
    Camouflage (3 picks), Keen-eared (2 picks)
    Wilderness Lore (3 picks), Keen-eyed (2 picks)
    Point of Courage (3 picks), Woodcrafty (2 picks)
    Point of Courage (3 picks), Accurate (2 picks)

Note: About Lore

I'll give him a bit of lore when I can; if anyone else wants to write it, that'd be great with me! If you do, try using the 'In the Novel, In the Film, In the Game' approach, I think that looks neat.

Good work. It'll be interesting to see how this compares with Decipher's version in the Two Towers Sourcebook.

Originally posted by Ineti
    Good work. It'll be interesting to see how this compares with Decipher's version in the Two Towers Sourcebook.
    Thanks! And that's one of the reasons I like doing these...

A question

Faramir had a reputation for studying lore, so I was wondering why you didn't give him any advances as a loremaster?
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Re: A question

Originally posted by Sarge
    Faramir had a reputation for studying lore, so I was wondering why you didn't give him any advances as a loremaster?
    I thought that, seeing as he was already a Warrior, Noble, and Captain, that also being a Loremaster would be a little pushing it.

But I did take this into account, I assure you! He has Wits of 11, meaning 33 Language and Lore, more than a whole lot of people.

That, along with Ally (Gandalf), replicated his reputation as a "wizard's pupil".

So, don't think he needs to be a Loremaster, but I'll think about maybe giving him some more Language and Lore in an advancement or two. Thanks!

The way I see it is, a loremaster studies all the time...It's his job after all. Someone like Faramir would be an amateur. He would pick up the skills, but not the abilities of a Wizard or Loremaster.