Thread: Helm Hammerhand :: My first real attempt...

Helm Hammerhand :: My first real attempt...

Okay, here's my first attempt at trying to stat up a hero of old...please be nice .

HELM HAMMERHAND
    9th King of the Riddermark

RACE: Man, Rohirrim
    RACIAL ABILITIES: Adaptable (+2 to Willpower), Dominion of Man, Skilled, Saddle-Raised (+2 to Ride)

ATTRIBUTES: Bearing 10 (+2); Nimbleness 8 (+1); Perception 7 (+0); Strength 13 (+3)*; Vitality 10 (+2)*; Wits 7 (+0).

REACTIONS: Stamina +6*; Swiftness +2; Willpower +4; Wisdom +1.

ORDERS: Warrior, Noble, Knight
    ORDER ABILITIES: Born to the Saddle, Deference, Domain (Riddermark), Favoured Weapon (Axes), Horsemaster, Mounted Combat, Noble Mien, Swift Strike 2
    ADVANCEMENTS: 40

SKILLS: Armed Combat (Axes) +8, Debate (Parley) +7, Healing (Treat Wounds) +3, Inspire (Rohan) +9, Inquire (Converse) +6, Intimidate (Majesty) +7, Language: Westron +4, Language: Rohirric +8, Language: Dunnel +5, Lore: Group (Riders of Rohan) +7, Lore: History (Rohan) +5, Lore: Race (Rohan, Dunlendings, Orcs) +5, Lore: Rohan Region (West Emnet, East Emnet, Wold) +10, Lore: Realm (Rohan) +10, Observe (Hear) +4, Ranged Combat (Thrown) +2, Ride (Horses) +10, Siegecraft (Riders Leadership) +6, Teamster (Wain) +2, Track (Dunlendings) +5, Unarmed Combat (Brawling, Wrestling) +12

EDGES: Armour of Heroes, Bold, Command 4, Fell-Handed 3 (Dunlanders), Hammerhand, Hardy, Honour’s Insight 2, Lion’s Hearted, Rank 4, Strong Willed, Two-Handed Fighting, Valour 3, Warrior’s Heart 2, Warwise 2

FLAWS: Code of Honour, Hatred (Dunlanders), Enemies (Orcs of Southern Misty Mountains & White Mountains & South Mirkwood), Enemies (Dunlanders), Proud

HEALTH: 14
    COURAGE: 8
    RENOWN: 18

GEAR: War Horse (worthy of the King of Rohan), Chainshirt (master quality)

COMBAT NOTES:
    2 Extra Combat actions per Swift Strike +1 Free Action to attack w/ off-hand (-8 to attack)
    2 points armour per Amour of Heroes
    +5 when Courage is spent on Physical Tests
    +3 to Hit Dunlendings.
    Double STR bonus when doing Unarmed Attacks as per Hammerhand Edge.
    Wound Level penalties reduced by 2.
    +6 to resist trickery & persuasion via Wisdom & Insight.
    +2 Willpower tests.
    +8 to Willpower to resist Fear.
    1 Courage to reduce a hit by D6+2.
    +6 to Stamina to resist Weariness in battle.
    +2 to all combat and Siegcraft skills.
    +2 to all combat & Ride rolls while Mounted.

PRIMARY ATTACK:
    Unarmed Combat (Brawling) +19 (1D6+8)
    +12 (Base) +2 (Spec) +3 (Str) +2 Warwise
    +22 versus Dunlendings
    2 Free Actions +2 Free Combat Actions +1 Free off-hand Combat Action
    Favoured Maneuvers (+1 to use): Power Attack (x2) and Sweep

NARRATIVE:

As per the Encyclopedia of Arda:

The son of Gram, the ninth King of Rohan and last of the first line, renowned in the histories of Rohan. During his reign, the Rohirrim were at war with the Dunlendings - Helm and both his sons perished in that war. He was succeeded by his nephew Fréaláf, who founded the second line of Kings.

As per MERP’s Lords of Middle Earth V2, page65:

Helm was the ninth and last of the First Line of Kings of the Mark. A seemingly calm but grim Rohir Warrior, he was the essence of the ideal Rider of Rohan. He worked hard, fought hard and played hard never showing fear or reluctance or shying away from a challenge. Fiercely protective of his realm—particularly the women—Helm was exceptionally loyal and potentially explosive. He smiled or maintained a gentle air, even when he was on the verge of committing a very violent act. Helm might appear rather placid, or even jovial, just before attacking with utter ferocity.

Such a case occurred when Freca demanded that the Rohirric King give his daughter Freáwyn in marriage to Freca’s son Wulf. When Freca challenged him before the King’s Council, Helm calmly addressed him, artfully comparing Freca’s ego to his ever-exanding girth. The King let his foe stew in his own rage before giving his demands anymore heed. Then at the conclusion of the meeting, the apparently unperturbed Helm took Freca aside and redressed him for his folly, again making light of his disenchanted vassal’s ample belly. This time however, the King took care to separate himself and his companion from their retainers, stating:

“Now, Dunlending, you have only Helm to deal with, alone and unarmed. But you have said much already, and it is my turn to speak. Freca, your folly grows with your belly. You talk of a staff! If Helm dislikes a crooked staff that is thrust upon him, he breaks it. So!”

At that moment Helm struck Freca on the head with his bare fist, felling his foe. Freca dropped, stunned, and died soon afterward. The King of the Riddermark then declared Freca’s son Wulf, his family, and all their kin and allies to be enemies of Rohan. Freca’s entourage scattered, while the King’s Riders rode into the Westmarch in order to quell any attempted uprising in Freca’s homeland.

Four years later, however, Wulf exacted his revenge. Leading an army of Dunlendings, he invaded Rohan from the northwest, just as an allied Easterling army struck across the Anduin. Rohan was at Wulf’s mercy, for the Riders could not defeat both enemies and Gondor was beset by Corsairs from Umbar. The Rohirrim fled into the vales of the White Mountains, despite the fact that the heights were gripped by the chilly air of the Long Winter. Rohan was overrun.

King Helm and his youngest son Háma took refuge at the Hornburg, int eh comb later called Helm’s Deep. Beseiged by Dunlendings the Rohir Lord could not escape to join his elder son Haleth’s forces in Edoras. Wulf slew Haleth when the capital of Rohan fell to the invaders. Háma died valiant sortie, while Helm Hammerhand froze to death while returning from a nocturnal raid. The then-heirless ninth King of Rohan was found frozen in his tracks, standing like a statue in the morning sun.

As noted in MERP’s Riders of Rohan, Page 37:
    (Paraphrased)
    Helm was an imposing figure, 6’6” tall and 260 pounds with the musculature of a Giant. During the Dunlending invasion he warred with his bare hands, secure in the belief that no blade would harm him if he carried none. Such was his strength that many a foe was slain by just one blow from his fist. His hair was a fierce red in his youth, but it greyed prematurely to the iron shade of granite. His eyes were also grey.

Do you have a step by step creation log of him? It seems like all 40 advancements aren't accounted for.

I've never heard of the Saddle-raised racial ability. Is that something you made up? I don't really think all Rohirrim would have that; if anything, I'd make it an edge.

I don't know if you've seen it, but Decipher's The Two Towers Sourcebook has a nice write-up of Helm Hammerhand. You might want to check it out.

Nice work.

Saddle Raised was basically the same idea presented in the Compendium crafted by Olowre. It seems pretty logical to me, as they are a equestrian based culture. If you'll pardon me looking to the movie...even the kids know how to ride. To me the people of Rohan don't just ride horses, they live, eat and breath them. I don't see the need for an Edge when this is simple and easy and makes sense.

Re: Two Towers book, I do not have it nor have I seen it, thanks for the heads up though.

As for the advancements, I thought I got them all added up...I might be wrong...after a while...my head started to hurt...

...if there's one thing LOTR RPG...its the fact that creating "accounted and balanced" experienced heroes and NPCs ain't easy or quick.

If anything I thought about creating a Edge in regards to how calm appearing Helm can be before erupting into violence.

Might call it "Disarming". Gives a bonus to put others at ease, all the while hiding his real emotions.

Originally posted by Markraven
    ...if there's one thing LOTR RPG...its the fact that creating "accounted and balanced" experienced heroes and NPCs ain't easy or quick.
    It's not too bad once you get the hang of it and create lots of characters. There's an advancement log I use in this thread:

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=9122

I find it makes character generation much faster and easier to check my math once it's all said and done.

Hi there...

Man, I do love the Rohirrim. The write-up seems almost perfect!

The problem is...rule-wise, he cannot had the Hatred (Dunlendings).

In the core-book, says that you can only take this flaw with someone you will probably have good relations, or at least neutral. The Rohirrim are already sworn enemies of the duns.

I know, it appeared on my game...

Besides that (wich will be extremaly logical, if wasn't for the flaw text), it's great!

Cheers,

Helegond
    I am the breeze
    the bringer of rest and ease
    I am the wind
    the forgiver of those who've sinned
    I am the storm
    I blow the devil's horn
    I am the fire
    the source of lust and desire
    I am the sun
    the joining has begun
    I am your fate
    the guardian at the gate
    I am death and <b>I claim your final breath!</b>

Yeah, I see where you are coming from..BUT...but I think the main point of Hatred's philosophy was so that everyone didn't pick "orc" for a "cheap and easy flaw".

Not all Rohan hate Dunlendings, and back-n-forth. There's a GENERAL and INCLINED dislike (which would easily turn to hate) I would say, but not total hatred. Not in the likes of orcs and men. There are several (non-official) half-bloods of Dunnish and Rohan men...Freca and Wulf are some examples.

Helm and the Rohir in general it seems have to deal with the Dunnish in a non-warring attitude most fo the time and the write-ups of Helm kinda go out of ther way to mention his particualr dislike of the Dunnish.

After the War of the Ring the Dunnish and the Rohan and Gondor make a pretty solid peace from my understanding of things. I don't think orcs and men will ever be so inclined.

Originally posted by Helegond
    Hi there...

Man, I do love the Rohirrim. The write-up seems almost perfect!

The problem is...rule-wise, he cannot had the Hatred (Dunlendings).

In the core-book, says that you can only take this flaw with someone you will probably have good relations, or at least neutral. The Rohirrim are already sworn enemies of the duns.

I know, it appeared on my game...

Besides that (wich will be extremaly logical, if wasn't for the flaw text), it's great!

Cheers,

Helegond
    And yet there are characters in the supplements that have Hatred (Orcs)!? The rules for the flaw Hatred really need to be tweaked. I know I'm being literal, but you don't sit down (or be neutral) with someone you have this level of dislike for. As for me I would allow a character to a take a Hatred of anything that fit they're background.