Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST:TNG Core Book - 2nd edition ?

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Question ST:TNG Core Book - 2nd edition ?

Hi... um... we (meaning myself and my co-narrator for our Trek rpg) just ordered several of the ICON Books from Amazon.com. I've always wanted to give the game a go, and after finding the core books at a good price on Amazon I decided it was time to try it out.

A good summer project.

Now, here's the thing. This is the listing for the edition of the TNG core book we ordered:

TNG Core Book, August, 1998; 315 pages

This edition is selling for a starting price of $3, so we picked it up. A lot better than $30, or $40.

This morning, I noticed this separate listing:

TNG Core Book, October, 1998; 312 pages

Aside from the later publication date, and the book being 3 pages shorter, I didn't see any references to a different edition. No "revised edition" or "second edition", and I've never heard of there being a second edition or revised version of the TNG core book.

This later edition is priced at roughly 10 times the cost of the one I ordered, so I'm thinking it is either the preferred edition or at least more of a collectors item.

I thought I would post my question here in the ICON forum. I'm guessing you guys here know what's what with the game, and maybe someone can tell me whether or not I ordered the wrong book ?

Thank you, in advance, and very much

I'm not aware of a special or second edition. So you'll be fine with the one you ordered. Got a good deal too boot! I always liked the die mechanic in the LUG version.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

I believe it's just a second printing, probably with a couple less pages of advertising for LUG products. There was no second edition. Great deal at $3.00!

Thumbs up Thank you !

Hey, thanks, both of you guys. That really puts my mind at ease. Because I have had some trouble with Decipher's LOTR - 2 editions of the core book, with some subtle changes that make the older printing somewhat obsolete. And I didn't want the same problems while trying to learn LUG.

What we got were actually several books, all pretty reasonable. TNG, DS9, & TOS cores, plus the Renegades, Raiders & Rogues book, the TNG Player's Guide, Planetary Adventures, and the Intel Manual.

It's going to be a lot of fun, learning a new game. And Owen, your site is going to be indispensable ! Now, if I could just find a character sheet that didn't sap all my ink in my printer...

Quote Originally Posted by FASAGrrl View Post
    It's going to be a lot of fun, learning a new game. And Owen, your site is going to be indispensable ! Now, if I could just find a character sheet that didn't sap all my ink in my printer...
    The ICON books were very late 90s that way...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    The ICON books were very late 90s that way...
    LOL ! Yes, I noticed that about a lot of late 90s and early 2000s material (EDEN's Buffy RPG is also an ink-guzzler, but I tweaked that sheet).

I've found a lot of wonderfully print friendly CODA sheets designed by fans on line. Too bad no one did the same favor for ICON players.

----------------
    Now playing: Troy - Gotta Go My Own Way
    via FoxyTunes

I thought I saw some nicer ICON sheets on Owen's Memory ICON site, but I could be imagining it.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Owen did have some nice sheets, but they're too ink-heavy for me to print. Like the BtVS sheets.

I need something like the little black-and white simple sheets I got for CODA from your site.

I may end up using those as a sort of template and trying to design my own.

Because I have had some trouble with Decipher's LOTR - 2 editions of the core book, with some subtle changes that make the older printing somewhat obsolete. And I didn't want the same problems while trying to learn LUG.
    There was a second (edition) printing of LotR CODA books?

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    There was a second (edition) printing of LotR CODA books?
    There was a second printing of the Core Book for LotR that corrected some, but not all of the Errata.

The back cover of the second printing of the LOTR rule book also has a mention of the Origins award the game won, for what it's worth. That's how you can determine if you have a first or second printing.

Thanks! Well, then I own two copies of the first edition

LOL ! Yes, I noticed that about a lot of late 90s and early 2000s material (EDEN's Buffy RPG is also an ink-guzzler, but I tweaked that sheet).

I've found a lot of wonderfully print friendly CODA sheets designed by fans on line. Too bad no one did the same favor for ICON players.
    Give me a minute, maybe I can work something up.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

PM sent, and I emailed a copy to Owen so hopefully it be up next time he updates.

I'll try to get it up this weekend. I now have my dial-up back and I'm waiting on my high-speed. Got a new place at the Grace Manor Salvation Army Nursing Home, and I'm very happy with it. Almost as good as being independant, but with the medical care I need...