Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CODA Advancements in a Campaign

Yeah it makes a lot of sense to advance that way. Something else we do is if someone pulls of an exceptional success then they may have a free advancement in that skill at the gm's choice.
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

Quote Originally Posted by somaticon View Post
    Yeah it makes a lot of sense to advance that way. Something else we do is if someone pulls of an exceptional success then they may have a free advancement in that skill at the gm's choice.
    That is something I don't agree with at all. That, to me, is rewarding the dice, not the player.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

You have obviously never played with our dice :-) it is so rare for them to roll anything other than a dramatic failure that we are convinced they have secretly been cursed at some point. I'm just glad you can't roll a negative number!
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

Some of our characters are so advanced that they almost can't help but get an extraordinary result. When you're adding 20 or 21 to your die roll, even snake eyes is likely to be very successful!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Quote Originally Posted by somaticon View Post
    You have obviously never played with our dice
    I think that goes without saying. Were I playing with your dice, what would you play with?
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Quote Originally Posted by Thakowsaizmu View Post
    I think that goes without saying. Were I playing with your dice, what would you play with?
    This is not an unreasonable question....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Taylor View Post
    Some of our characters are so advanced that they almost can't help but get an extraordinary result. When you're adding 20 or 21 to your die roll, even snake eyes is likely to be very successful!
    This is one of the reasons that I reserve the moment where all dice roll 1's as an automatic failure, even a critical one... Just as all 6's will get a free pass. Its all a case of Karma, and when they get that skilled the chance of failure is minimal at best... Sure they may have 'passed' the die roll but if they do that before rolling the dice then whats the point?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Very true, but then there's always the other modifiers a GM can impose. Of course, the rules encourage the GM to apply these as minimally as possible, and there are Edges and Professional Abilities that minimize or negate some of them (like Level-Headed reduces distraction if a person is making a Professional Skill test at their duty station).

That snake eyes rule is a good idea, though.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).