Thread: Remote Operated Defense System

Remote Operated Defense System

This is missing the Descriptions and Notes section, however it'll make the average lifespan of a Fighter Pilot in the Star Trek Universe in combat much longer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What no comments?

It could use some explanitative text, as trying to decipher a Spacedock ship is like reading HTML

So is the idea that this is a remotelly operated drone, controlled from a suite on board a larger ship?
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    It could use some explanitative text, as trying to decipher a Spacedock ship is like reading HTML

So is the idea that this is a remotelly operated drone, controlled from a suite on board a larger ship?
    Sorry about that . . . I should have done that before releasing the hard work.

Basically, yes. The problem as you and I well know is that fighters aren't survivable platforms, due to their size they have to either limit their shield strength and threshold, or limit the amount of weapons they carry. Thus you can either end up with a vessel that has either or. Or not enough power (see Merlin).

Therefore, to increase the amount of available SUs you remove the pilot. This removes alot of systems that otherwise would be essential. Furthermore, you are no longer salvaging fryed pilot (as the Akira & SAFs v. D'Deredix battle all showed us), thus saving lives, while being able to fit more combat systems into the same space.

With the advent of Extended Range Microtorpedos, this finally brings that weapon system into a position where they can finally reach out and touch someone. Furthermore, due to the fact that you don't have to pay in power for each additional launch, it saves on cost. You will obviously be within the target vessels firing range, but givin sufficient numbers, their TA/T/TS would be overwhelmed (mainly due to the limited amount of moves alot to a single vessel). Think of this as a modification of the soviet mass cruise missile strategy during the cold war.
    Coupled with the photon torpedo launcher . . . this provides a long range punch that inceases the amount of torpedos going down range.

All this creates a far more inexpensive platform, when produced and used in mass, will be able to bring the battle to the enemy.

Of course, this isn't something you'd see often . . . maybe only once in your Starfleet carear, save wartime situations.

While you're probably much better off using the space beefing up the shield generators or power systems you could conceivably fit 3 actual Photon Torpedoes inside the habitable volume of a size one vessel, stacked one above the other.. it aint gonna be pretty, and they'd be fire and forget (so no warp handoff) but it's possible they could do allot o damage

However that's probably silly.

What might be an idea, is instead of using the microtorpedo launchers you could use the Delta Flyers Photonic missiles. Not sure if there's a Spacedock equivalent, but these pack allot more punch, and again they could much more easilly fit than the full sized deal. You'l just havwe to work out the relative damage etc. Normally such as system would need to be fitted inside a size 2 ship, as the flimsy walls are not nearly enough room to house such a launcher, but this class is built solid

I think this is rather more in keeping with the Humanist Starfleet approach.. I'd rather be sitting on my bridge, firing off weapons behind a massive shield.. than flying in a flimsy milk carton of death

If you wanted to have allot of fun with the concept you might consider trying to see what you could fit inside a photon Torpedo casing, then you could launch it at warp, and send it ahead of yourself, or simply very rapidly deploy many of them.. they might go pop in a couple of rounds, but then it's relativelly cheap compared to a Photorp, and very distracting for your enemy!
    Ta Muchly

While you're probably much better off using the space beefing up the shield generators or power systems you could conceivably fit 3 actual Photon Torpedoes inside the habitable volume of a size one vessel, stacked one above the other.. it aint gonna be pretty, and they'd be fire and forget (so no warp handoff) but it's possible they could do allot o damage
    On size this is true . . . on SU it is not . . . but you're right . . . maybe we can have six . . . have the two stacks side by side.

What might be an idea, is instead of using the microtorpedo launchers you could use the Delta Flyers Photonic missiles. Not sure if there's a Spacedock equivalent, but these pack allot more punch, and again they could much more easilly fit than the full sized deal. You'l just havwe to work out the relative damage etc. Normally such as system would need to be fitted inside a size 2 ship, as the flimsy walls are not nearly enough room to house such a launcher, but this class is built solid
    They do have chemical missiles but no photonic missiles . . . what do you think of the ER MTs? And the turret system?

I think this is rather more in keeping with the Humanist Starfleet approach.. I'd rather be sitting on my bridge, firing off weapons behind a massive shield.. than flying in a flimsy milk carton of death
    And thus why a remote system is a logical step in designing fighters

If you wanted to have allot of fun with the concept you might consider trying to see what you could fit inside a photon Torpedo casing, then you could launch it at warp, and send it ahead of yourself, or simply very rapidly deploy many of them.. they might go pop in a couple of rounds, but then it's relativelly cheap compared to a Photorp, and very distracting for your enemy!
    This would be interesting . . . but due to it being like size 1/2 isn't all you can fit onto it is one pulse phaser bank?

I guess the designers of Spacedock never thought anyone would want to design a size 1/2 vessel But then how do you design Probes, which should have stats, and abilities of their own

Any kind or rubish phaser strapped to a fusion generator, and an impulse engine has a chance to do some damage.. and they can always self destruct standard photon casing has all the basic manouvering systems and computer hardware in there to handle the flight controll.. All you need is a few new subroutines and the above, and you have a teeny tiny fighter

I'm not familiar with the ER- MT's I am really going to have to open Spacedock up again.. it's been a while.

It's a shame about the Photonic missiles, they are canon, they just don't seem to be represented! Using a cross comparison with Coda, they seem about half as powerful as the Defiants Quantum Torpedo array (which is to say allot!) and about as powerful as the Constitutions! YOUCH but then those aren't quite comparable.
    Ta Muchly

I guess the designers of Spacedock never thought anyone would want to design a size 1/2 vessel But then how do you design Probes, which should have stats, and abilities of their own
    Well SD has a page that explains away the mechanics of a probe, but no, they were never intended to be their own platform thus not given specific SD stats.

I'm not familiar with the ER- MT's I am really going to have to open Spacedock up again.. it's been a while.
    They aren't in SD . . . I took the stats made for the MicroQTorps that someone did about a year or two back . . . and made them standard MicroTorps, but kept the range . . . mainly due to the fact that the ranges given for the MicroTrops become insignificant, due the the standard battle hex (30,000m2). They are the same size and dimension of the standard MT . . . but since the MT was designed in the mid 2360s it stands to reason that new technology, with the advant of the DW (and during wars ordanance technology tends to speed up in development), that an extended range version could possibly created by 2376. I first used them in the Gambeir Bay Class CVL design that I recently posted.

Basically they are the MTs (50 Damage), with the following range: 15/30,000/60,000/120,000.

Thus, they aren't fanboyed. You can argue that they require more space to store . . . which I could except say one MT-ER equals 1.5 MT in storage space . . . but that's semantics really. I think they are the same size, or atleast how I envision them.

It's a shame about the Photonic missiles, they are canon, they just don't seem to be represented! Using a cross comparison with Coda, they seem about half as powerful as the Defiants Quantum Torpedo array (which is to say allot!) and about as powerful as the Constitutions! YOUCH but then those aren't quite comparable.
    Remember, that SD was made before this took place in VOY (which I never really liked (i.e. wussy borg)). Furthermore, how could it be, that something smaller, can have a larger explosive potential, then something larger, using the same type of explosive? That doesn't make sense to me . . . if you can explain it, please do.

Well with Quantum torpedo technology the torpedoes get much of their energy potential from the vacuum pressure domain, and hence even a micro version can still pack a HELL of a punch given it's size.. which is only 13 centimeters long LOL.. I think the ranges however are overgenerous, as while yes it migh have a decent payload, owing to it's heratige, it's engines would burn out fast! That's why they appear to do so much damage, comparitivelly to Kirks ship.. it's similar to an analogy between using gunpowder and using Nitroglycerine.. there's a similar weight of material, but one has far more explosive potential.. in the case of the quantum torpedo it's not to do with payload but to do with how that payload is used.. i.e. it forms a small rift in the vacuum domain, and pulls back with it allot more energy than it went in with

I'm not going to pretend I know how Borg wierdness works, only to say that it seems at least comparable to Quantum torpedo technology in terms of punch, given this example.. Voyager didn't have any Quantum torpedoes, but then they did have the much larger photorps, which per hit would still do much more than the borg array.. it's just the Borg one is far more powerful a technology!
    Ta Muchly

OK, your point is taken. But if the ordanance's propelent is used more efficiently, or a different type of faster engine is used, wouldn't the range stated be adequatly explained while remaining relatively the same size?

Like I said I don't think quantum microtorpedoes would be all that common as of 2376, since quantum torpedoes are rare already. However, a common ordanance is the Photon microtorpedo, which has been available since atleast the early 2360's. Thus given continued development, and the advent of war, it only makes sense that given battlefield and usage AARs that improvements would be made to the ordanance.

Thus . . . this RODS could provide a punch, and a swarm . . . for something the size of a Type 15 shuttlepod.

Slightly mad, but a microtorpedo gauss array - how insane would that be! Punch through anything! I can just picture a 3 by 3 by 3 cube, with manouvering thrusters, launching 50 missiles a seond (ok for about 3 seconds max LOL) slicing through any shield or hull

anyway enough of siliness

Yes agreed with the comonness of microquantrps untill well after the Dominion war.. probably after they would be less common, as generally Runnabouts don't need to be so well armed!
    Ta Muchly

Most definalty . . . a guass MT launcher? I never thought of that . . . hmm . . . I think that's why they capped the inital launcher to 5 torpedoe launchers per turn for the MTs. I decided to keep it so it wouldn't be to over powering . . . cause basically the MT turrets are two MT launchers side by side on a swiviing base, thus giving it a 360 initial launch direction . . . which really shouldn't matter anyways due to the fact that it has self-guidence . . . but it could be the matter of one movement hex, which means alot for something with an extremely limited range.

I've created a monster! AGH I'm a fanboy - MEEEEP !
    Ta Muchly

Well I wrote up CIWS Firing mode rules in the Narrator Forum, since from my knowledge you can't currently target missile weapons in SD . . . but If I am wrong, please give me a heads up.