Thread: Bio-ships

Bio-ships

A little earlier I mentioned on Dispersive Armour -- http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?t=13865
    Or used on a biological-ship such as they have had if two or three Next Generation shows. That makes me think, has anyone done notes on Biological ships?
    Have any of you made notes on Biological vessels or know of any place that has any kind of notes. If I can find enough information I will work out some of the details when I get time.

There might be some Species 8472 ships floating around here... someplace... I do remember seeing one...
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I'm working on Junior, Gomtuu, etc., but Phoenix says the NSNS (Neither Ship nor Station) SRM will be dealt with at a later time, and the project has been shelved at the moment. I'm still thinking of how to deal with such things as a digestive system, though. Not sure if the ships of 8472 will be included or not.
    KIRK: The.. away team.. will.. consist of.. Myself.. Dr. McCoy.. Mr. Spock.. and.. Ensign Freddy
    ENSIGN FREDDY: Oh &@$%

Yesterday, Dave, Jewel, and I had brunch together and talked. Out of it came two pages of notes that when Jewel fids time she will type up and post for me. Friday by the latest.

Dave thought it was a good idea and is creating a grand episode where we will give it a run. They will be something like the Farpoint Alien Creatures.

Well here it is. I'm not too pleased with it still works too much like a starship set up.

Space-born Biological creature ships
    From the beginning of Star Trek: The Original Series their have been space-born biological creature ships such as a small moon sized Space-ameba and gaseous cloud that drank blood. In Star Trek: The Next Generation had an intelligent gaseous cloud of energy and junior whom suckled off the Enterprise’s power grid. Not to mention the energy creature ships encountered at Farpoint Station and Tin-man. Star Trek: Voyager brought several biological space-born creature ships such as a small nebula that was a creature ships and Species 8472‘s spacecraft.

Every system on a starship generally has a similar and organ or biological equivalent to the mechanacal.

SBC has come in one of four variations, a solid, liquid, gaseous, and energy forms. When designing a creature ships decide on what the creature ships is going to play in the story and whether it was going to engage in battle. Majority of these will be treated as intelligent creature ships utilizing the Intellect, logic, Perception.

Psionic powers are not uncommon through out the galaxy, many creature ships encountered by explorers show signs of psionic ability. These could easily be the main stay of the communications between SBC’s.

Noted some species can change from solid to liquid to gaseous and back.

Gaseous SBC’s Shape Changer
    Gaseous entities are measured in the cubic meters that they can easily block out such as clouds in the sky. A size 1 has 40 cubic meters of space maximum. Spread out to the maximum the cloud could cover an area three times the area and to be nearly invisible in appearance. In a solid form the entities that can change to a liquid will measure a Quarter of that of its gaseous state and half that if it changes to a solid. When the entity changes to the different forms the gaseous entity will register as that different form. As a rock, a sensor device would not be able to detect the differences between the rock and the entities without a more intense scan of the entities form.

These creature ships tend to live in communities of several dozens and float as a single large cloud and drifts on interstellar winds.

Many gaseous entities reside in asteroid fields feeding minerals in the drifting rocks, changing forms to hide. The occasional mining vessel attaches to the asteroid spooking the entity and are attacked with the creature defending them.

Most gaseous entities can generate an electrical plasma attack and directed it on another entity or starship. Damage equals that of a shot from a type 18 phaser array (damage 180). The gaseous entities can cast this twice in a round up to seven times in combat before having to regenerate and feed. In combat a single creature ships would pose little danger to a starship, but a group could easily become a dangerous element in combat, even a galaxy-class could be over come in battle.

Gaseous entities have Outer Resistance of one and little Inner Resistance. As a rock the entity would be Resistance 10 for Outer and 10 for Inner and as a liquid would be 4 for the Outer and 4 Inner. Many of these entities will have shape changing abilities in the liquid and gaseous forms only.

Some of the SBC’s that could change shapes would be the gaseous cloud killer, the Farpoint entities and the space ameba.

Non-shape changing SBCThese entities can regenerate any damage sustained in battle. Many feed on asteroid materials and such.

Skeletal Structure
    SU’s Cost: 4 x Size
    Power Cost: None
    In this, the ship has a skeletal Structure that supports the flesh of their bodies.

Flesh Structure
    SU’s Cost: 2 x Size
    The flesh of the creature ships is covering the skeletal structure, like most biological entities.

Armor
    SU’s Cost: 2 SU’s per 10 points (2500 points maximum)
    Grown from the exterior of the flesh. The Amour has a resistance double to what ever the creature ships resistance is.

Specialized Hull
    Many creature ships Atmospheric, Planetfall Capability, Ramming Hull and Sensor-Reflective Hulls are only available to the SBC’s.

The Crew and Other Personnel
    Some SBC’s have been genetically altered to carry passengers as a crew. This requires a regenerative system’s such as life support systems.

Gravity
    Most of the SBC’s generate their own gravity. This does not require power such as constructed starships.

Replicators
    Food stores only as the SBC’s do not have Replicators.

Recreation & Medical Facilities
    Most entities have little in recreation & medical facilities.

Personnel Transportation Systems
    Jefferies tubes are not needed, as it is a living entities.

Escape Pods
    Living ships have no escape pods.

Propulsion Systems
    Warp EnginesNot all the SBC’s have warp nacelles and are embedded nacelles. A few have ability to travel such as Transwarp Drive versions.

Impulse Engines
    Most all of SBC’s have some sort of impulse propulsions.

RCS
    Same as. The creature ships would likely release plumes of gas as maneuvering jets.

Power Systems
    Power is generate by the consumption of matter or energy consumed. The consumption will last for several days or weeks allowing the travel from one system to another. The consumption of asteroids for food and fuel. Several large chunks of asteroid material could sustain the SBC for days.

OPERATIONS SYSTEMS
    Bridge

Most of the artificially altered SBC’s have a bridge Size x 4 where the crew will do most of their interface with the SBC.

The Brain
    In place of the computer core. SU’s cost 1.5 x Size per lobe (Intelligence is increased by + 1 per lob up to +3). I would use the Intellect from the character creation page if the ship is intelligent and self-aware (as an example the Cardassian Dreadnaught-class Self-guided Tactical Missile from “Star Trek: Voyager” pg 108 of the Cardassian book would be the manner for the setup. A short paragraph that would describe the ships personality in the notes.)

ODN
    The creature ships ODN network is instead a network of neural relays far more sensitive than any computer networks interface. Each transmitting faster than any computer system could.

Navigational Deflector
    Most solid flesh and blood entities have some sort of Navigational Deflector Systems. SBC do not have any auxiliary deflectors.

Sensor Systems
    Sensor Systems are low yield and detect the various objects around the Altered SBC’s have enhanced sensor systems.

Flight Control Systems
    The autopilot is maximum’s in all respects.

Communications Systems
    Most communications will be telepathinic. See above PSI. This could also have a holographic communications.

Transporters Systems
    Generally, the transporters on the SBC’s are all biological components as the rest of the creature ships. The Personnel, Emergency and Cargo transporters all count as one transporter and are site-to-site transport.

Cloaking Devices
    Most of the SBC’s have a type of Cloaking device hiding in plane sight. A hull bolometer to hide the SBC as another asteroid in a field or something.

Security Systems
    The SBC’s has the most sensitive security as it is alive.

Weapon Systems
    Weapon are generated just like normally. Gaseous creature ships would likely have energy weapons that work much like phaser weapons with no different firing modes and can fire in any direction as they do not have emitters such as a starship would.

The torpedo system would be a creature ship’s defense much like a porcupine’s quill. Thrown away could do damage to a vessel puncturing the hull. Such as a spore or explosive spore contaminating. These would be regenerative, as the creature ships would grow them on the exterior surface in a cluster.

Shielding could easily exceed twice the shielding that of a constructed starship.

Auxiliary spacecraft could easily be the same as but the shuttle craft could be genetically modified versions of the larger and have the similar capabilities but are shorter ranged.

I'll keep working on it to come up with something better. I'll post a species 8472 version of their ships later today. Jewel's typeing it up on the other computer.

Species 8472 Starship
    Class and Type: Attack ship
    Commissioning Date: Unknown

Hull System
    Size: 3
    Length: 90 meters
    Width: 25 meters
    Height: 25 meters
    Mass: 40,000 mt
    Decks: 1
    SU’s available: 1000
    SU’s Used: 983

Hull Outer <12>
    Hull Inner <6>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 10 <12>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 10 <12>

Structural Integrity Field [1 power/10 Protection/Round]
    Main: Class 3 (Protection 60/90) <21>
    Backup: Class 2 (Protection 30) <11>
    Backup: Class 2 (Protection 30) <11>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    Crew/Passengers/Evac: 1/50/500
    Crew Quarters
    Basic: 51 <3>

Environmental Systems
    Basic Life Support [6 Power/round] <12>
    Reserve Life Support [3 Power/round] <6>
    Emergency Life Support (18 emergency shelters) <6>
    Gravity [3 Power/round] <3>
    Consumable: 1 years worth <3>
    Personal Transport: Jefferies tubes [0 Power/round] <3>
    Cargo hold: 600 cubic meters <1>
    Locations: Lower Cargo Bay
    Escape Pods: None

Propulsion Systems
    Warp Drive Nacelles: Type 6C6 <20>
    Speed: 6.0/9.0/9.6 [1 Power/.2 warp speed]
    PIS: Type J (up to 48 hours of Maximum warp) <20>
    Special configuration: Embedded Nacelles <12>

Impulse Engine Type: Class 8 (.75 c/.95 c) [7/9 Power/round] <10>
    Reaction Control System (.025c) [2 Power/ round when in use] <3>

Power Systems
    Warp Engine Type: Class 11/Q (generates 560 Power/round) <121>
    Locations: hull
    Impulse Engine[s]: 1 Class 8 (generate 64 power/engine/round)
    Auxiliary Power: 1 reactor (generate 5 Power/reactor/round) <3>
    Emergency Power: Type C (generates 35 Power/round) <25>
    EPS: Standard Power flow, +100 Power transfer/round <25>
    Standard Usable Power: 624

Operations systems
    Bridge: Forward dorsal cockpit <15>

Computer Core/Brain: amidship [7 Power/round] <9>
    ODN <6>

Navigational Deflector [5 Power/round] <12>
    Range: 10/20,000/50,000/150,000
    Accuracy: 5/6/8/11

Sensor Systems
    Long-range Sensors [5 Power/round] <31>
    Range package: Type 2 (Accuracy 3/4/7/10)
    High Resolution: 5 Light-years (0.5/0.6-1.0/1.1-3.5/3.6-5.0)
    Low Resolution: 12 Light-years (1.0/1.1-3.5/3.6-10.0/10.1-14.0)
    Strength Package: Class 6 (strength 6)
    Gain Package: Class Alpha (+1)
    Coverage: Standard

Lateral Sensors [5 Power/round] <15>

Navigational Sensors: [5 power/round] <10>
    Probes: none
    Sensor Skill: 4

Flight Control Systems
    Autopilot: Shipboard systems (flight control) 4, Coordination 3 [1 Power/round in use] <15>

Navigational Computer
    Main: Class 3 (+3) [2 Power/round] <2>
    Backups: 1 <2>
    Inertial Damping Field
    Main <12>
    Strength: 9 [3 Power/round]
    Number: 2
    Backup <3>
    Strength: 6 [2 Power/round]
    Number: 2
    Attitude Control [1 Power/round] <1>

Security Systems Rating: 4 <16>
    Anti-Intruder System: Yes [1 Power/round] <3>
    Internal Force Field [1 power/3 Strength] <3>

Science Systems Rating: 2 (+1) [2 Power/round] <13>
    Specialized Systems: none
    Laboratories: None

Tactical Systems
    Plasma Emitters <60 (x4=28)>
    Type (Equal to a Type 13 Disruptor)
    Damage: 280 [28 power]
    Number of Emitters: (up to 5 shots per round)
    Auto-Phaser Interlock: Class Gamma (Accuracy 3/4/6/9)
    Range: 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    Firing arc: 360 degrees
    Firing Modes: Standard, Pulse, Continuous

TA/T/TS: Class Epsilon [6 power/round] <18>
    Strength: 11
    Bonus: +3
    Weapon Skill: 3

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <33 (x4=132)>
    Shield Generator: Class 5 (protection 900) [90 power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type C (50% increase to Protection 1350)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Zeta (Threshold 270)
    Recharging System: Class 1 (45 seconds)
    Backup Shield Generators: 4 (1 per shield) <1>

Auxiliary Spacecraft systems None

Notes: The species 8472 has a durable exterior and has a high level of energy weapons resistance GM's adjust acordingly. I based the version on the Vessel from the Star Trek Voyager Sourcebook by Volker Maiwald

Spector and I will need to dig up those rules we have on this subject. If any thing it may spark a good bit of humor. We'll try to get back by Sunday night (MST).
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1967
    Skeletal Structure
    SU’s Cost: 4 x Size
    In this, the ship has a skeletal Structure that supports the flesh of their bodies.

Flesh Structure
    SU’s Cost: 2 x Size
    The flesh of the creature ships is covering the skeletal structure, like most biological entities.

Armor
    SU’s Cost: 2 SU’s per 10 points (2500 points maximum)
    Grown from the exterior of the flesh. The Amour has a resistance double to what ever the creature ships resistance is.
    I like these ideas. Are they in additon to, or in place of the hull?

Replicators
    Food stores only as the SBC’s do not have Replicators.
    I’ve got another idea involving food stores. See my reply.

Recreation & Medical Facilities
    Most entities have little in recreation & medical facilities.
    I don’t think most would have any.

Power Systems
    Power is generate by the consumption of matter or energy consumed. The consumption will last for several days or weeks allowing the travel from one system to another. The consumption of asteroids for food and fuel. Several large chunks of asteroid material could sustain the SBC for days.
    Again, see my reply.

The Brain
    In place of the computer core. SU’s cost 1.5 x Size per lobe (Intelligence is increased by + 1 per lob up to +3). I would use the Intellect from the character creation page if the ship is intelligent and self-aware (as an example the Cardassian Dreadnaught-class Self-guided Tactical Missile from “Star Trek: Voyager” pg 108 of the Cardassian book would be the manner for the setup. A short paragraph that would describe the ships personality in the notes.)
    I like this idea, but see my reply. We should work on a compromise.

Navigational Deflector
    Most solid flesh and blood entities have some sort of Navigational Deflector Systems. SBC do not have any auxiliary deflectors.
    All should have something to substitute, for the same reason all ships have deflectors.

Flight Control Systems
    The autopilot is maximum’s in all respects.
    They should use their own skill and abilities.

Communications Systems
    Most communications will be telepathinic. See above PSI. This could also have a holographic communications.
    While many are psionic, others are not. Junior’s species, for example, used radio transmissions to communicate.

Cloaking Devices
    Most of the SBC’s have a type of Cloaking device hiding in plane sight. A hull bolometer to hide the SBC as another asteroid in a field or something.
    It is also possible for a lifeform to use the Stealth skill.

Security Systems
    The SBC’s has the most sensitive security as it is alive.
    I agree, although we need to work out the mechanics of this. The amoeba, for example, we figured would use white blood cells .

Weapon Systems
    Weapon are generated just like normally. Gaseous creature ships would likely have energy weapons that work much like phaser weapons with no different firing modes and can fire in any direction as they do not have emitters such as a starship would.
    Hmmm. How are you paying for this (since number of emitters directly affects the price)?

The torpedo system would be a creature ship’s defense much like a porcupine’s quill. Thrown away could do damage to a vessel puncturing the hull. Such as a spore or explosive spore contaminating. These would be regenerative, as the creature ships would grow them on the exterior surface in a cluster.
    Again, how are you paying? An idea is to buy a set number and say they cannot regenerate faster than having more than this amount at a time.

Shielding could easily exceed twice the shielding that of a constructed starship.
    Keep in mind you have armor. You don’t want to give it too much defenses.

Auxiliary spacecraft could easily be the same as but the shuttle craft could be genetically modified versions of the larger and have the similar capabilities but are shorter ranged.
    What would the auxiliary spacecraft be?
    Last edited by Spectre; 02-18-2007 at 06:16 PM.
    KIRK: The.. away team.. will.. consist of.. Myself.. Dr. McCoy.. Mr. Spock.. and.. Ensign Freddy

COMMONALITIES OF SPACEBORNE LIFEFORMS
    Spaceborne lifeforms vary drastically, from the human-sized energy
    being Beta XII-A Entity to the starship sized Crystalline Entity, but they seem
    to share a few characteristics. Each is often unique, and extremely alien to
    the characters. They usually have a difficult time communicating, if they are
    able to at all. They are, as their name implies, able to survive in the vacuum
    of space, and their diet ranges from starships, pure energy, emotions, to no
    need to eat at all; frequently, however, diet is never determined. For the
    purposes of this document, they are assumed to be able to withstand the
    normal pressures, temperatures, elements, and radiations present in the
    vacuum of space.

LIFEFORM TEMPLATE
    Spaceborne lifeforms use a template similar to that of
    Creatures and Characters. They include:
    Name
    Size
    Form/Description
    Diet and Hunting Strategy
    History and Society
    Story Notes
    Attributes
    Skills
    Advantages and Disadvantages
    NAME: Obviously, the lifeform's name. Be sure to include where the name
    came from, what it means, and if it is the individual's name or the species'
    name, if said information is available.
    SIZE: The lifeform's mass in kilograms (or metric tonnes if larger than man-
    sized) and its dimensions in meters. Also, it's Size (1-16; 1 for man-sized) in
    Spacedock scale.
    FORM/DESCRIPTION: The lifeform's appearance. This includes coloration,
    texture, composition, biology, number of appendages, etc.
    DIET AND HUNTING STRATEGY: What the lifeform eats and how it gets its food.
    As mentioned above, this is frequently unknown.
    HISTORY AND SOCIETY: Interactions lifeforms of this type have had with each
    other and with other species, and how they interact. This includes their native
    region, population, and general history.
    STORY NOTES: Anything else that may be useful to the GM. You might also
    want to look at "Omnipotent Races" (p. 281), "Creating Alien Races" (p. 283-
    289), and "Anomalies" (p. 300-301), all in The Next Generation Core Rulebook.
    ATTRIBUTES: These are similar to both Characters and Creatures, and include
    Edges. Fitness has Strength and Vitality Edges. A Lifeform gets its [Fitness +
    Strength]^2 X Size to damage. (A Size 5 creature with Fitness 3 and Strength
    +2 gets +125 to damage.) Lifeforms are limited to their Size x 2 to Strength.
    (A Size 5 creature could have up to Strength +10.) Coordination has Dexterity
    and Reaction edges. A Lifeform has either Intellect (with Logic and Perception
    edges) if it is sentient or Instinct (with Ferocity and Perception edges) if it is
    not. Presence has Empathy and Willpower edges, and Psi has Focus and Range
    edges. It costs 2 SUs per point of Attribute above 2, and 1 SU per point of Edge.
    Subtract 2 SUs per point of attribute below 2 and 1 SU per negative point of Edge.
    SKILLS: A spaceborne lifeform can have almost any skill usable by a character.
    Common ones and ones used differently from normal are: It costs 3 SUs per
    level of Skill, and 1 SU per level of specialization above one higher than the base.
    Acrobatics (Common specializations are Mid-Air Dodge and Zero Gravity)
    Athletics (Frequently replaces Shipboard Systems: Flight Control,
    Impulse Drive, or Warp Drive; common specialization:
    Flight)
    Dodge (Frequently replaces Shipboard Systems: Flight Control or
    Deflector Dish)
    First Aid (Frequently replaces Engineering)
    Hunting
    Intimidation
    Planetside Survival (Common specialization is Outerspace)
    Science, Life (Frequently replaces Engineering)
    Science, Medical (Frequently replaces Engineering)
    Science, Space
    Search (Frequently replaces Shipboard Systems: Sensors)
    Stealth (Frequently replaces Shipboard Systems: Cloaking Device or
    Shipboard Systems: Sensors when trying to avoid
    detection)
    Strategic Operation
    Tactics, Starship
    Tracking
    Unarmed Combat (Frequently replaces Shipboard Systems: Flight
    Control or Tactical)

ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES: A spaceborne lifeform can have almost any
    advantage or disadvantage usable by a character. It costs 4 SUs per point of
    Advantages; 4 SUs are gained back per point of Disadvantage. Common ones,
    new ones, and ones used differently from normal are:
    3d Spatial Sense [+2]- This advantage includes Absolute Direction, but
    it also allows you to think well in 3D space. With this
    advantage, the lifeform will never lose his way, even in space.
    It will not help you travel across other dimensions (including
    hyperspace, subspace, or transwarp space). This confers a
    +1 to any Flight skill, +1 to Astrogation, and +1 to any
    Piloting.
    Absolute Direction [+1]
    Adamant [+2] (SFA)
    Alertness [+2]
    Athletic Ability [+2]
    Battle Hardened [+2]
    Body of Plasma [+10]- In its natural state, the lifeform's body is
    formed of a mass of plasma. Any cutting or impaling
    attacks by normal weapons do minimum damage. The
    lifeform can fit his body into oddly shaped spaces, or flatten
    it into a thin stream to move into a small opening. It takes
    two turns to change your shape in this manner.
    Bold [+1]
    Cool [+2] (SFA)
    Curious [+1]
    Daring [+1]
    Double Jointed [+2]
    Does Not Breathe [+4]- The lifeform absorbs oxygen (or other element)
    she needs through the surface of her body. She cannot be
    strangled, and is immune to most gases. She can suffocate in
    any place where there is not any oxygen. In theory, the
    lifeform can survive underwater, as long as the water contains
    oxygen.
    Does Not Eat or Drink [+2]- The lifeform does not feed. She uses some
    other form to power her body.
    Eidetic Memory [+3]
    Enhanced Vision [+2]
    Excellent Balance [+1]
    Excellent Chemoreception [+1]
    Excellent Hearing [+2]
    Excellent Sight [+2]
    Excellent Metabolism [+1]
    Extra Arms [Variable]- The default number of arms is two, and each can
    reach out to a length of app. the torso. Each doubling of the
    reach is a +2 advantage. If a lifeform has one or more extra
    arms that work the same as his normal arms this advantages
    costs +2 per extra arm. If the extra arm is shorter, the cost
    is only +1 per extra arm. If the extra arm is longer, the cost is
    +2, +1/doubling of the length of the arm. If the arm does not
    provide any type of physical attack than it only costs +1.
    Extra Legs/Extra Leg reach [Variable]- The default number of legs is two,
    and each can kick out to a length equal to that of the torso. For
    each additional doubling of reach that the leg can kick is a +2
    advantage. If the leg cannot kick for damage reduce the total
    cost by 1. The cost of 3-5 legs that are identical to the lifeform's
    other legs are +1 per leg.
    Guileful [+1] (RRR)
    High Lung Capacity [+1]- The lifeform can hold his breath for up to 15min
    without effort or ill effect. After 15min, he must make a Willpower
    test each minute to suppress the urge to breathe out and back in
    again. The difficulty begins at Routine (4) and increases by 2 for
    each subsequent minute.
    High Pain Threshold [+2]
    Ignore Pain [+4]- The lifeform ignores all Skill Test modifiers for being
    Injured or Wounded. The other effects of injury (including lost
    actions and being knocked down) still apply, and the lifeform is
    still rendered unconscious at Incapacitated or greater. The
    lifeform receives two extra dice for Skill Tests to resist pain
    or torture.
    Imaginative [+2] (SFA)
    Indomitable [+3] (TOS)
    Innovative [+1]
    Inquisitive [+1] (SFA)
    Instinctive Astrogation [+6]- A lifeform who possesses this advantage
    has an innate sense of his own position in the universe. It has
    been suspected to be linked to a psionic ability, but it has
    manifested itself in beings who otherwise have no psionic talents.
    Beings with this advantage gain a +4 to rolls to determine their
    position in space, with or without sensors. It effectively acts as
    a skill, granting a bonus to the roll and not the number of dice
    to be rolled. It is suspected that extreme electromagnetic fields
    can "fuzz" or even block this ability.
    Intimidating [+1]- The lifeform has some quality others find intimidating.
    It gains an extra die on Intimidation Skill Tests.
    Lightning Calculator [+1]
    Magnetic Sense [+1/lvl] The lifeform can detect magnetic fields around
    her. The first level gives the lifeform a range of 1m, each
    additional level doubling the range. It can determine polarity,
    strength, and field contour. If no magnetic object more
    powerful than a speaker magnet is within the field, the lifeform
    can tell which way is magnetic north.
    Mathematical Ability [+3]
    Meticulous [+2] (SFA)
    Mimicry [+3]- The lifeform can duplicate any familiar sound. Any sound
    that he listens to for 5 minutes becomes familiar after he makes
    an Intellect (or Instinct) roll. This includes voices, but he must
    listen to the voice for at least 1 hour and make a successful roll
    to duplicate it.
    Morph [+8]- The lifeform can assume the form of anything within view
    or that has been memorized. It can memorize a number of forms
    equal to his Intellect (or Instinct) x 5. Any form memorized can
    be overwritten with a new one. The mass of a form does not
    change but the lifeform can appear as an object that is much
    larger or smaller than he is by decreasing or increasing his
    body density. If the lifeform becomes a duplicate of someone
    he will be able to talk like that person but will not have the
    memories or skills of that person. Objects such as
    communicator pins are not removable. If impersonating
    someone there is a chance you will be discovered. Every
    time someone familiar to the person the lifeform is
    impersonating meets it, they get an Intellect roll to see
    if they spot the lifeform for what it is. The roll is modified
    as below:
    Casual Acquaintance: -2
    Daily Acquaintance: -1
    Friend: +1
    Close Friend: +2
    Close Family: +3
    Multitasking [+2]
    Night Vision [+2]
    Organ Redundancy: Indicated by Resistance.
    Pattern Recognition [+1] (TOS)
    Peripheral Vision [+1]
    Quick Draw [+2]
    Radiation Resistance [+1] (TOS)
    Rapid Healing: Indicated by improved regeneration systems.
    Resistant [+1 to +3]
    Resolute [+3]
    Scientific Genius [+3] (NPG)
    Scientific Objectivity [+2] (SFA)
    Sense of Time [+1] (DS9)
    Shrewd [+1]
    Sonar Vision: Indicated by sensors.
    Stretching [+6, +3/additional level]- Each level of Stretching allows the
    lifeform to stretch a limb or his entire body up to twice its normal
    size. The speed that he can do so is the same as his movement
    speed.
    Steadfast [+2] (SFA)
    Strong Will [+3]
    Synergy [+2-+3]
    Tactical Genius [+3]
    Telepathic Resistance [+4]
    Toughness: Indicated by an increased amount of Hull.
    Zero-G Training [+2]
    Bad Reputation [-2 to -4] (NPG)
    Bloodlust [-2]
    Competitive [-1] (NPG)
    Compulsion [-1 to -3] (DS9)
    Coward [-2] (AND)
    Greedy [-1]: Can also function for things other than money.
    Hard-hearted [-2] (SFA)
    Hedonist [-1] (TOS)
    Hides Emotions [-2]
    Imperious [-1] (SFA)
    Imprudent [-1] (NPG)
    Impulsive [-1]
    Intolerant [-1 to -3]
    Low Pain Threshold [-2]
    Militant [-2]- The lifeform takes any opportunity to resolve a situation
    using force unless he spends a Courage Point to avoid
    it. Spending the point allows the lifeform to consider other
    options. Attempts to convince the lifeform from using
    force are made at a -1 die penalty. A militant lifeform won't
    necessarily attack at the first opportunity.
    No Arms [-4]- The target has no arms. Half this disadvantage if he has
    another appendage that functions as an arm.
    No Locomotion- This creature has no mode of locomotion. It is indicated
    by not purchasing a propulsion (i.e. warp, impulse,
    thrusters, etc.) system.
    Obsessive Tendencies [-3]
    Pacifism [-1, -3, or -5]
    Parasite [-3 or -6]- The lifeform is dependant on another race for
    survival. The host may be able to survive without you,
    but not vice versa. For -3 points, the host race can fall
    within certain very broad categories, like "any warm
    blooded vertebrate" or "any bird". The -6 disadvantage is
    very specific: you can only survive on one and only one
    race.
    Passionate [-1] (SFA)
    Phobia [-2 to -5]
    Poor Chemoreception [-1]
    Poor Hearing [-1]
    Poor Sight [-2]
    Puzzled [-3] (SFA)
    Slow Healing- Indicated by poor regenerative systems.
    Stubborn [-1] (TOS)
    Sworn Enemy [-1 to -3]
    Vengeful [-1 or -2]
    Wanted/Wrongfully Accused [-1 to -4] (DS9)
    Weak Will [-2]
    Weakness- Indicated by low amount of Hull.
    Unlabeled and Described Advantages and Disadvantages are new
    Unlabeled and not given Advantages and Disadvantages are in The Original Series
    Core Rulebook, DS9 Rulebook, and The Original Series Core Rulebook
    AND- Andorian Sourcebook
    DS9- Deep Space Nine Core Rulebook
    NPG- Next Generation Player's Guide
    RRR- Raiders, Renegades, and Rogues
    SFA- Starfleet Academy Box Set
    TOS- The Original Series Core Rulebook

PHYSICAL FORM
    The term "physical form" is used loosely, as it could be the creature's
    energy form, plasma form, etc. Different systems of the lifeform match up to
    the different Spacedock systems. Examples are given below for the Required
    Starship Systems Checklist given in the Spacedock Netbook, using the Space
    Amoeba as an example.
    Outer Hull- Plasma Membrane
    Inner Hull- Ectoplasma
    Structural Integrity Field (SIF)- Endoplasma
    Backup SIF- None
    Crew Quarters- None, as the Amoeba itself is the lifeform
    Basic Life Support- None
    Reserve Life Support- None
    Gravity- None
    Consumables- Food as found
    Personnel Transportation Systems- None
    Impulse Drive- Pseudopods
    Reaction Control System- Pseudopods
    Electroplasma System (EPS System)- Vacuoles
    Bridge- Nucleolus
    Computers- Nucleolus
    Optical Data Network (ODN)- Nucleolus
    Sensors- Nucleolus
    Navigational Computer- Nucleolus
    Inertial Damping System (IDF)- Endoplasma, although most
    lifeforms don't need an IDF as they don't have "creatures"
    inside them.
    Backup IDFs- None
    Attitude Control- None
    Communications- None
    As you can see, not all are needed, and those given will vary drastically as to
    how they manifest. They also don't always match up with what is suggested
    for their size. With other lifeforms, you don't really need to label what gives
    the lifeform the function. The best rules are: estimate, and go with what feels
    right.
    (Cont.)

NEW AND MODIFIED SYSTEMS
    This describes new and modified systems.
    RESISTANCE: You must purchase a minimum (over the 2 free points) equal to
    the lifeform's FIT+VIT per hull.
    ENGINES: Engines do not provide power.
    TACTICAL SYSTEMS
    DIGESTION SU:
    Size X 10 Power: Size X 3
    Digestive enzymes (or something else) deal 50pts per round to targets
    that have been swallowed and are in the Lifeform's digestive system.
    This ignores Resistance. Targets may escape by making FIT + STR vs.
    FIT + STR check. If one of the targets is a vessel rather than a life-form,
    he may substitute his warp drive speed in lieu of STR. (For example, a
    ship powering up to Warp 7.4 would be considered to have a STR 7.) A
    digested target gives the Lifeform 500 power per size category. (For
    example, digesting a Size 6 asteroid will give a Lifeform 3,000 power.)
    This remains until spent.
    ENERGY ABSORBING FIELD SU: Size X 5 Power: 10
    Drains off 40pts from shields. If shields are not this strong or not up,
    it drains the excess amount from each person aboard. This is a in a
    Size X10m Radius around the Lifeform. (For example, it would have
    a 50m radius around a Size 5 lifeform. No effect on inanimate objects.
    ENERGY DAMPING FIELD SU: Size X 5 Power: 5+1/additional/rnd
    Power sources affected give 10% less power. This will frequently
    mean the target doesn't have enough power to run all systems. This
    damping increases by 10% per round maintained, to a maximum of a
    90% decrease. (For example, on the fifth round maintained, a target's
    power sources will provide 50% less power than normal; it costs 9
    power for the Lifeform to do this.) This targets a single target. No
    effect on inanimate objects. Requires an Unarmed Combat (Wrestling)
    test to initiate.
    SWALLOW SU: Size X 5 Power: Size x 2
    Must succeed at an Unarmed Combat (Wrestling) attack vs. the target.
    Success means the target is grappled and the lifeform begins to swallow
    it. Targets may escape by making FIT + STR vs. FIT + STR check. If
    one of the targets is a vessel rather than a life-form, he may substitute
    his warp drive speed in lieu of STR. (For example, a ship powering up to
    Warp 7.4 would be considered to have a STR 7.) It takes 1 round per
    size of the target minus 1 round per point of COOR+DEX of the Lifeform.
    (For example, it takes 2 rounds for a Lifeform with a COOR 3 and a DEX
    +1 to swallow a Size 6 target. The Lifeform can hold a number of targets
    whose total volume does not exceed that of the area in which they are to
    be held, usually a digestive system of sorts. (Make sure to specify this
    area.) It also must be able to fit inside the Lifeform's "mouth".

Spectre, that's a lot better thought out than the minimal version that we came up with.

I know years ago I saw a FASA version for the Biological ships. Here you will find it.

http://www.anzwers.org/free/fasa/The...ip%20Rules.htm
    Last edited by Omega1967; 02-23-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Here's Junior, who I wrote up a year or so ago.

JUNIOR'S SPECIES
    NAME: Junior's Species
    FORM: A mass of plasma energy contained by a tapered shell of silicates, actinides, and carbonaceous chondrites. It somewhat resembles a spacegoing whale or fish.
    DIET: As with many spaceborne lifeforms, little is known about the diet of Junior's Species, although Junior "nursed" on the Enterprise, draining it of energy from the fusion generators. It is also suspected that they feed on kefnium, a substance present in their shells and in the asteroid belt where they live.
    HISTORY AND SOCIETY: In 2367, while in the Alpha Omicron system, the U.S.S. Enterprise discovered one solitary creature of this species. It appeared to be trying to communicate using radio transmissions. When the Enterprise moved closer, the lifeform sent out a thin, wavy line to "probe" the Enterprise. The lifeform then glowed bright green, rushed at the ship and latched on, and emitted a field of electrical discharges, holding the Enterprise and damping energy aboard it. The ship tried to use impulse drive, but to no avail, and there was too much interference to use warp drive. Radiation levels suddenly rose to lethal levels: the ship, in self defense, returned fire. With one shot, the lifeform was killed. Scans revealed another lifeform within the first: a baby. The Enterprise set their phasers to 3% power and performed a cesarean section. The offspring, quickly dubbed "Junior" by the crew, attached itself to the Enterprise and began draining energy, feeding itself. The crew extrapolated that the mother was on her way to a nearby asteroid belt, and set their course there. By this time, three hours past Junior's birth, it had already increased in size by 8.5%. Upon arrival, three more of Junior's Species appeared, although they were at first hard to detect (possibly due to the kefnium in their shells). The Enterprise began altering their engines' energy signatures to a different wavelength, thus "souring the milk" and causing Junior to stop his feeding. He then joined the other lifeforms and they headed back into the asteroid belt.
    STORY NOTES: Junior's Species is apparently normally quite pacifistic, despite their efficient means of self-defense. The write-up is for an adult, and thus the nursing ability is not included.
    SUs
    ATTRIBUTES 6
    FITNESS: 4
    VITALTIY: +2
    COORDINATION: 2
    INSTINCT: 2
    PRESENCE: 2
    PSI: 0
    SKILLS 12
    Acrobatics (Mid-Air Dodge) 1[2]
    Athletics (Flight) 1[2]
    Dodge 2
    ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES
    3d Spatial Sense [+3], Does Not Breathe [+4]; No Arms [-2], No Legs [-1] 16
    HULL SYSTEMS
    SIZE: 8
    Length: App. 600m
    Beam: App. 400m
    Height: App. 100m
    Mass: App. 4,000,000 metric tonnes
    SUs Available: 3,000
    SUs Used: 447
    HULL
    Outer 32
    Inner 32
    RESISTANCE
    Outer Hull: 6 6
    Inner Hull: 6 6
    STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY FIELD
    Class 3 (Protection 60/90)
    [1 Power/10 Protection/round]
    SPECIALIZED HULL: Energy Sheath 24
    PROPULSION SYSTEMS
    IMPULSE ENGINE 5
    Type: Class 1 (0.25c/0.5c) [2/5 Power/round]
    ACCELERATION UPRATING 8
    CLASS: (100%, 4 Power/round)
    REACTION CONTROL SYSTEM [2 Power/round when in use] 8
    POWER SYSTEMS
    Electroplasma System (EPS) 40
    OPERATIONS SYSTEMS
    BRIDGE 40
    COMPUTERS 16
    Optical Data Network (ODN) 24
    SENSOR SYSTEMS
    Long Range Sensors [5 Power/round] 4
    Range Package: Type 1 (Accuracy 3/4/7/10)
    High Resolution: 4 light-years (0.5/0.6-1.0/1.1-3.0/3.1-4.0)
    Low Resolution: 10 light-years (1/1.1-3.0/3.1-7.0/7.1-10)
    Strength Package: Class 1 (Strength 1)
    Gain Package: Standard (+0)
    Lateral Sensors [5 Power/round] 2
    Navigation Sensors [5 Power/round] 2
    NAVIGATIONAL COMPUTER 0
    Class 1 (+0) [0 Power/round]
    ALTITUDE CONTROL [2 power/round] 2
    COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS 2
    Type: Class 1 [2 power/round]
    Strength: 1
    Security: -0
    Basic Uprating: None
    Emergency Communications: No
    TACTICAL SYSTEMS
    DIGESTING [24 power/round] 80
    Damage: 50/round, ignoring Resistance
    Effect: Eating a target. Must make an Unarmed Combat (Wrestling) check to initiate.
    Can hold a number of targets whose volume does not exceed 60,000 metric tonnes
    ENERGRY DAMPING FIELD [5 power/round +1/additional round, cumulative] 40
    Effect: Drains target of 10% of power, +10% more each round in use.
    Range: Melee
    Difficulty: Requires an Unarmed Combat (Wrestling) test to initiate
    SWALLOWING [6 power/round] 40
    Damage: None
    Effect: Swallows creatures, forcing them inside the Amoeba to be digested. Can swallow
    targets up to 70m in size
    Time: Swallowing takes 1rnd per point of Size -2.

Any imput is appreciated.

If looked through the thread and probably missed out something. Are there any rules for Healing and Repairs? Also there should be some point at which the sbc is dying aka damaged beyond repair (probably down to 25 % of its SU's)
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Very good idea. I'll get working on it, but don't think I can at the moment.

I found an artical in the Web magazine The Great Machine Issue 11 October/November 2004 on page 26. It is an artical called Monsters!

The Amoeba, Doomsday Machine, and The Crystalline Entity are big parts of the artical.

here's the WEB Address: http://www.planetside.firenebula.com