Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eugenics Wars II: The Full Write-Up

Eugenics Wars II: The Full Write-Up

Not too long ago, I tossed out the basic stats for the genetic supermen of the Eugenics Wars on Earth. At the time I promised a more complete write-up, then real life got in the way.

In any event, here it is. I've hewn as closely as I can to canon as I could with this. I've never read the Eugenics Wars novels, so the only info from those that might have snuck in would be stuff I've heard discussed elsewhere, and even then it's only going to be tangential. Where I stray from canon, I rely mostly upon my own views of how things went down in the Eugenics Wars. One of these days, I'll write up my own (hideously simplified) history of how things went down in that time, as it applies to my own game.

Please feel free to comment on this write-up, but I do ask that you be civil when you do so. I don't mind constructive criticism, but I do mind when people shriek and insult for the sake of shrieking and insulting. I would also ask that you please take the more extreme digressions to threads of their own. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by PGoodman13; 09-08-2002 at 07:03 PM.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Genetic Supermen

Personality: The genetic supermen who started and fought in the Eugenics Wars of Earth’s late 20th century were raised from birth to believe that they were better than their unaltered cousins, and so were born to rule over normal humans. For the most part, they share the personality traits of their unaltered brethren, but underneath it all is a tendency to gloat about their genetic superiority. They tend to be arrogant, and in general don’t fit in well outside their own kind.

Physical Description: These genetically engineered supermen were humans, and fell within all the established phenotypes of that species. All of them were attractive, even striking, in appearance; the enhanced physical attributes most of them were bred for all but guaranteed them a certain physical beauty.

Homeworld: The supermen all hailed from Earth.

Culture: In one sense, the supermen, like normal Humans, have no one distinct culture. Humanity is a diverse species with a myriad of individual cultures to draw strength from.

On the other hand, they were a part of a distinct sub-culture unlike any other on their world. Part of a decades-long program of selective breeding and experimental genetic resequencing techniques, the supermen encountered by Kirk's Enterprise in 2267 were, for their time, the ultimate expression of the human genome.

From the day they were born, the supermen were raised with the belief that they were superior to the rest of humanity, as had been their forebears, and thus were destined to rule the planet. The penultimate and final generations of this project, the men and women who actually began and fought in the infamous Eugenics Wars on Earth in the 1990s, were in fact considerably superior to their unmodified brethren...and were eager and determined to claim their rightful places as the heads of Earth's nations.

Superior abilities lead to superior ambitions, and superior ambitions often lead to superior arrogance. In the end, this simple fact may have been all that kept these would-be conquerors from achieving their goals. The fact that none of these genetically-enhanced warlords could get past their egos to agree on a common course for their new world order is what ultimately led to their downfall.

Languages: Most, if not all, of the supermen were fluent in several of the languages of Earth. All of them spoke English, upon which Federation Standard is based.

Common Names: Genetically engineered though they were, they were still humans, and shared in the naming conventions of their world and individual nations.

Favored Profession: Most were trained as soldiers or diplomats, but their ranks also contained more than a few scientists and rogues.

Species Adjustments: +2 Strength, +1 Intellect, -2 Presence. They were bred to be stronger and smarter than the rest of the herd, but their control-focused upbringing made it much harder for them to relate with normal human beings.

Species Abilities:
    • * Adaptable: Normal humans demonstrated a remarkably adaptive nature, showing an ability to survive in the harshest of conditions. The genetic supermen who descended from them lost none of this drive, showing a marked and improved ability to survive. This manifests as a +2 bonus to either their Stamina, Willpower, or Quickness Reaction scores. The Reaction is chosen at character creation, and cannot be changed over time.

* Bonus Edge: Fit: The lifestyle of the genetic supermen emphasized physical fitness and prowess. As a result, they gain a +1 bonus to all physical tests.

* Bonus Edge: Healthy: Another result of their genetic enhancements, the supermen had particularly robust immune systems, offering them a +2 bonus to Stamina Reaction checks.

* Skilled: Being as diverse and world-spanning a group as they were, the genetic supermen were able to learn a variety of skills from each other, which they might not have otherwise been exposed to. During the Personal Development phase of character generation, genetic supermen can add +2 levels to any one skill, or +1 to any two skills. These need not be skills the character has already chosen, but should be skills available within his chosen Personal Development background package.

* Species Flaw: Arrogant: They were raised from birth to believe they were superior to the herd. This attitude makes it more difficult for them to interact in social settings. Genetic supermen may not expend Courage to improve social tests as a result.

* Species Flaw: Intolerant (Normal Humans): The view they had of normal humans as "the herd" made it more and more difficult for the genetic supermen to even deal with them. In order to do so, they had to spend 1 Courage point.

* Species Flaw: Species Enmity (Normal Humans): The genetic supermen were feared and reviled on Earth, and still are to some extent, even in the 24th century. If a genetic superman is recognized as such by a normal human, they are at a –4 penalty to most social tests they have to perform when dealing with them.

* The Human Spirit: The genetic supermen displayed the same sort of drive, versatility, and spirit that their unmodified brethren displayed. They also begin with +1 Courage.

Notable Genetic Supermen:
    Perhaps the most well known, and most reviled, of this new breed of humanity was Khan Noonien Singh. A brilliant and charismatic man, Khan assumed the mantle of leadership with an alarming ease. By the time of his downfall in 1996, he was the absolute ruler of a quarter of planet Earth, a prince with power over millions. When internecine bickering amongst his fellow warlords finally toppled his reign and ended the Eugenics Wars, Khan and approximately 100 of his personal cadre escaped into space on the experimental sleeper ship SS Botany Bay. In 2267, the Botany Bay was discovered by the USS Enterprise under the command of Captain James T. Kirk. After an unsuccessful attempt to commandeer the ship, Khan and the surviving members of his crew were exiled to Ceti Alpha V. In 2285, Khan and his crew escaped their prison and sought vengeance on Kirk. Khan met his final defeat at Kirk's hands, and perished in the Mutara Nebula in 2285.

Pick Breakdown: Strength +2 (10 picks); Intellect +1 (5 picks); Presence -2 (-10 picks); Bonus Edges (4 picks); Species Flaws (-6 picks); Adaptable (6 picks); the Human Spirit (3 picks); Skilled (4 picks). Total of 16 picks.

Just some small suggestion for this very good template : you may add an edge reflecting their striking appearance, like the Skill Focus (Seductive).
    Apart from that, very good work.

Woohoo! And here comes my 800th post!
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

It's an idea, but I really don't feel like it had a tremendous in-game type of impact. They were just very gentle on the eyes, as I see it.

Hmmm, very interesting write-up.

My only question would be, do they really need to be balanced as characters? I mean, as long as they are essentially supermen, why necessarily limit them?

Then again, I tend to be in a real minority -- I think that play balance can be highly over-rated

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    You already know my mind on this one, PG, but I'll post my thoughts on this for everyone else's benefit.

1. I agree with Ramage in that I don't believe that the Eugenics Wars supermen should be a balanced species. (I do believe, however, that play balance is very important to a game system for player character species.)

2. I think the -2 Prs is too excessive...instead, I'd recommend a -1 Prs and a +1 Vit.

3. I also disagree with the Intolerance and Species Enmity flaws. I feel that there was no support of those flaws on screen; instead I believe that the Eugenics should have an insatiable desire to conquer (which causes them to have difficulty relating to those not under their rule).

4. I personally went with the Physically Fit ability for security officers, vice the Fit edge. And I would also drop the Skilled ability, to push the Eugenics away from humanity a little bit.

Other than my disagreements, PG's writeup is good for a PC-playable Eugenics species. But, then, I believe the Eugenics should be unbalanced (23-25 picks worth), and a major challenge for the PCs.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Ramage
    Hmmm, very interesting write-up.
    Thanks.
    My only question would be, do they really need to be balanced as characters? I mean, as long as they are essentially supermen, why necessarily limit them?

Then again, I tend to be in a real minority -- I think that play balance can be highly over-rated
    I don't know that they necessarily needed to be balanced; they just kind of worked out that way. I believe in a minimal approach to things like this, and this colored my approach to writing them up.

I'm completely capable of throwing the concept of play balance out the window. LIfe's not fair, and neither should everything the PCs face. In this case, though, it's just how it worked out.

Sea Tyger: I've got no time at the moment to respond point-by-point to you, but I will later.

Guess I'll chime in with my two cents worth. Mind you, the Net Rep Hat is off and the opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    2. I think the -2 Prs is too excessive...instead, I'd recommend a -1 Prs and a +1 Vit.
    Is it more excessive than the -3 Prs that Vulcans get?

3. I also disagree with the Intolerance and Species Enmity flaws. I feel that there was no support of those flaws on screen; instead I believe that the Eugenics should have an insatiable desire to conquer (which causes them to have difficulty relating to those not under their rule).
    No support? What about Khan and his crew's utter disdain for Kirk and crew? What about "Only my superior intellect..."? What about the fears of genetic resequencing in DS9 (where they specifically cite Khan as an example of what they're afraid of)?

Also, wouldn't an insatiable desire to conquer be a reasonable explanation (and give a game mechanic) for Intolerance? This would simulate their "difficulty relating to those not under their rule"?

4. I personally went with the Physically Fit ability for security officers, vice the Fit edge. And I would also drop the Skilled ability, to push the Eugenics away from humanity a little bit.
    While Physically Fit would be a good choice, why do it instead of Fit? Why not have both? That would only push it up to a 19-pick species.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Been busy, and haven't been able to respond. I'll try to get to it later this week.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Re: Eugenics Wars II: The Full Write-Up

Originally posted by PGoodman13
    Not too long ago, I tossed out the basic stats for the genetic supermen of the Eugenics Wars on Earth. At the time I promised a more complete write-up, then real life got in the way.

In any event, here it is. I've hewn as closely as I can to canon as I could with this. I've never read the Eugenics Wars novels, so the only info from those that might have snuck in would be stuff I've heard discussed elsewhere, and even then it's only going to be tangential. Where I stray from canon, I rely mostly upon my own views of how things went down in the Eugenics Wars. One of these days, I'll write up my own (hideously simplified) history of how things went down in that time, as it applies to my own game.

Please feel free to comment on this write-up, but I do ask that you be civil when you do so. I don't mind constructive criticism, but I do mind when people shriek and insult for the sake of shrieking and insulting. I would also ask that you please take the more extreme digressions to threads of their own. Thanks in advance.
    I like it! I was in the midist of designing my own but this is beyond my wildest expectations. Bravo! I love it! This is balanced and can be used by Narrators to use Eugentics as Adversaries in their Trek games. I have not seen any problem with it and it was thougharly researched and balanced. My biggest problem is most fan-based designed Species for any game including Star Trek are usually overpowered, underpowered, makes zero sense, etc.
    This is a rare occasian someone took the time out and thought this through. An absolutely amazing job. I can not praise this enough.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Even Genetic Supermen can be ugly....

Originally posted by PGoodman13
    They were just very gentle on the eyes, as I see it.
    I know the books arent considered cannon but in reading the Eugenics Wars series, some of the other supermen were truly butt-ugly in appearance. I'm sure that thier pheremone output would be enough to compensate for being an eye-sore though. Just a thought.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

thats a great write up. i was thinking about having a campaign set just after wrath of kahn. this will be a real help. thank you
    live long and prosper

Glad you guys like them; hope you get some use out of them, too. Let me know how it works out.

After watching the Soong/Augment arc on Enterprise recently, I feel pretty well vindicated in how my write-up came out. Hell, I might not have made them tough enough...Malik demonstrated a phenomenal level of hearing, so that Skill Focus might be worth adding.

Might have to revisit this at some point.

I think the thing here is that the genetic supermen should be more powerful than PC species but they should definitely be defeatable; They may be genetic supermen, but they don't wear red capes . . . .

Pretty good write-up.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers