Thread: Icy Mars

Icy Mars

Esa has published an article about photographs taken which depict large water-ice reservoirs on Mars. You can find the article here:

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMGKA808BE_0.html

The pictures are amazing, especially the blue radiation, refelcted by the ice back to the crater, looks great. Enjoy!
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

The color images look very strange. Could it be that the blue sensor is a little bit too sensitive? I've seen NASA pictures taken from within the Mars atmosphere on which the sky looked as blue as on Earth, and beneath the picture they explained that was because the colours were a little bit off.
    But maybe it is just the combination of the (light+)atmosphere and the ice. I don't know ...

And here is the URL entered properly in BBCode, so it is clickable.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

So what did I do wrong, I clicked on "insert hyperlink" and put the link into it, why does it not work?

I think the colour is in order. Water-Ice can create very interesting effects when hit by light. This "blue glowing" is a regular occurance on trips through the ice, which has something to do with the light being refelcted by all the cie crystals.
    Since Mars has only a very thin atmosphere, the light that hits the ice is much "cleaner" than we what we have here on Earth, maybe that is the reason why the colours seem to be off. At least I did not read anything on any other reason for this.